Allpar Forums banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I drove two yesterday - a Summit Reserve and a Limited. They are extremely nice. Steering felt a bit loose for me in normal mode so I switched it to sport mode which is what I keep mine in too. Brakes were very responsive and had a firm pedal feel. It just glides right over road imperfections and the body roll feels well controlled. The interior is a thousand times better than the WK2 and any other non-luxury product I've been in. The attention to detail is amazing and there's very little cheap plastic in the upper trim levels. The Limited was less impressive inside to me, at least with regard to materials, but the design is still nice. From the materials, to the design of the switchgear, to the animations on the screens, they clearly thought all of this out really well.

The massaging seats are also actually useful and don't just feel like the lumbar cushion moving around.

I really didn't like getting back into my 2019 Limited after being in the new ones all day. Absolutely will buy a new 2-row model because these are a huge deal.
Haven’t looked at the interior in person but I’ve walked around the outside of a couple of the ones at the local dealer. They look awesome. Only complaint I have is the piano black plastic all over the centre console. That stuff drives me crazy.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
I drove two yesterday - a Summit Reserve and a Limited. They are extremely nice. Steering felt a bit loose for me in normal mode so I switched it to sport mode which is what I keep mine in too. Brakes were very responsive and had a firm pedal feel. It just glides right over road imperfections and the body roll feels well controlled. The interior is a thousand times better than the WK2 and any other non-luxury product I've been in. The attention to detail is amazing and there's very little cheap plastic in the upper trim levels. The Limited was less impressive inside to me, at least with regard to materials, but the design is still nice. From the materials, to the design of the switchgear, to the animations on the screens, they clearly thought all of this out really well.

The massaging seats are also actually useful and don't just feel like the lumbar cushion moving around.

I really didn't like getting back into my 2019 Limited after being in the new ones all day. Absolutely will buy a new 2-row model because these are a huge deal.
When I hear things like that about the Limited, I have to keep reminding myself Limited is now a mid-range trim - not the top of line it once was.

·
Super Moderator
7,099 Posts
When I hear things like that about the Limited, I have to keep reminding myself Limited is now a mid-range trim - not the top of line it once was.
I was just in the Limited again a few minutes ago. It's really not that bad. It's got better materials than the current Limited, and probably the current Overland, so it's still an upgrade. It's just that the Summit Reserve is SO nice that everything else kind of pales in comparison.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I was just in the Limited again a few minutes ago. It's really not that bad. It's got better materials than the current Limited, and probably the current Overland, so it's still an upgrade. It's just that the Summit Reserve is SO nice that everything else kind of pales in comparison.
Agreed. I had a brief ride in a Limited this past weekend as one of my neighbors just purchased one for his daughter. I thought the interior was just OK, but then I remembered the last-gen and the equivalent Explorer (nasty hard plastic everywhere). It's fine.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Reminds me of the Coronet. Top of the line one year, midline the next, bottom of the line the next... I would have been pissed if I'd paid for the status of the name in Year One! ;) I wonder if the British think it's odd - "The Jeep Grand Cherokee Corporation?"

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Well, Consumer Reports just purchased a Grand Cherokee L Limited. Let's hope these quality checks paid off.

EDIT: Just watched their review. They noted fit/finish issues with their car and that there were cheap materials all around. CR also noted that their passenger seat was squeaking and rattling as well as some noise from the cargo area. They also didn't love the ride/handling mix. All in all they did not seem very impressed by the Limited model with the V6.

Disappointing.

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
Well, Consumer Reports just purchased a Grand Cherokee L Limited. Let's hope these quality checks paid off.

EDIT: Just watched their review. They noted fit/finish issues with their car and that there were cheap materials all around. CR also noted that their passenger seat was squeaking and rattling as well as some noise from the cargo area. They also didn't love the ride/handling mix. All in all they did not seem very impressed by the Limited model with the V6.

Disappointing.
Consumer Reports is not a valued source. They have a built-in bias.

I doubt that they are lying, but most likely are stretching the truth so their members can feel better about hating American made vehicles while driving their Toyotas.

Regardless, the entire press release about these tests was revealed to be marketing hype as most auto manufacturers conduct similar quality control checks.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Disappointing.
This is very strange!

I watched several reviews and test drive and nobody is talking about cheap materials all around; nobody is talking about noises; ride/handling are getting unanimity love (I'm talking about chassis and steering, not engine).

I'm wondering if Consumer Reports has the "mission" of finding problems at all costs as a justification for the price they ask to their consumers to read their reviews...

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
This is very strange!

I watched several reviews and test drive and nobody is talking about cheap materials all around; nobody is talking about noises; ride/handling are getting unanimity love (I'm talking about chassis and steering, not engine).

I'm wondering if Consumer Reports has the "mission" of finding problems at all costs as a justification for the price they ask to their consumers to read their reviews...
Actually, I posted a review where they felt the Limited had too much "cheapness" inside compared to the current Grand Cherokee Limited.

It seems that FCA's strategy was to de-content the Limited trim and push more buyers into the more expensive higher trims. Normally, nothing is wrong with encouraging buyers to move up, but to do it via de-contenting is wrong.

There are Grand Cherokee buyers who have bought a Limited of every generation. They may not be pleased.

But let's not pass judgement yet. Let's see more reviews.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
This is very strange!

Most testers were given trim levels above Limited. Those that have looked at different trim levels have said Limited is a definite step down in interior materials.

·
Banned
15,295 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,079 Posts
Seen on the Gladiator forum today:

"Traded our 20 Durango in on one of the new Grand Cherokee Ls on Thursday. So far regretting it. The first day we had it at 45 miles the service 4wd light came on then we stopped and restarted the car a couple times and it went away. Had them run diagnostics on it and they saw it tripped and thought it was a software glitch, they said it it happens again to call. Next day it happens again and my wife noticed it binding up when she would turn the wheels while the light was one. Shut it off and it went away again. So its in the dealer this morning for the second time in under of week of ownership. Also not thrilled with the new 10" Uconnect's in these, its been very glitch compared to the 8" in my Gladiator or Durango. The skip song switch on the steering wheel only works some of the time and its been freezing the radio when I try to connect to car play and I have to turn the car on and off to reset it. "

"My wife and I test drove an "L" just to see. It's an impressive vehicle, however, I feel like some of the strengths of the outgoing Grand Cherokee are missing on the L. For one, the V6 Pentastar really feels long in the tooth in that vehicle. I was surprised because the 8 speed/V6 combo works well in a lot of other FCA/Stellantis products. My Gladiator feels more responsive. Also, I 100% agree about the new Uconnect system. I much prefer the 8.4-inch older UConnect. The new one is less user-friendly, slower and glitchier. Also, I was shocked that the back-up camera looked grainy. The cameras in the RAM and the Gladiator/Wrangler are both high-def and awesome. Why did the L get a crap back-up camera or is it just the larger screen that distorts it?"

If they are checking every one built, somebody isn't doing their job.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Actually, I posted a review where they felt the Limited had too much "cheapness" inside compared to the current Grand Cherokee Limited.

It seems that FCA's strategy was to de-content the Limited trim and push more buyers into the more expensive higher trims. Normally, nothing is wrong with encouraging buyers to move up, but to do it via de-contenting is wrong.

There are Grand Cherokee buyers who have bought a Limited of every generation. They may not be pleased.

But let's not pass judgement yet. Let's see more reviews.
Wait a moment!
Are you saying that other Manufacturers make the same model available in the base trim or (as an option) in luxury trim by adding contents, while Jeep is making this model in the luxury trim, or (as an option) in the base trim by subtracting contents.

Wait a moment! isn't it the same thing?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, or maybe - oh - maybe you are referring to a de-content of a same-name trim of the GCL in comparison to the same-name trim of the outgoing version. In this case, I ask to you (because I'm not in USA): is there a difference in price between a 2020 GC Limited and a 2021 GCL Limited?

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Wait a moment!
Are you saying that other Manufacturers make the same model available in the base trim or (as an option) in luxury trim by adding contents, while Jeep is making this model in the luxury trim, or (as an option) in the base trim by subtracting contents.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, or maybe - oh - maybe you are referring to a de-content of a same-name trim of the GCL in comparison to the same-name trim of the outgoing version. In this case, I ask to you (because I'm not in USA): is there a difference in price between a 2020 GC Limited and a 2021 GCL Limited?
The point is they want to position Jeep as a premium brand - if you are a premium brand you shouldn't be "cheaping out" on lower trim levels. If you are a premium brand.Foe example, I'd expect a "cheap" trim in a Ford Expedition, not a Lincoln Navigator.
Limited used to be the top of the line Grand Cherokee trim. It probably remained the most popular trim as it was still quite well equipped in the outgoing Grand Cherokee.
Now it seems a noticeable step down.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
This is very strange!

As others have said most people got trim levels of above Limited for their testers which have better materials. Further, I do not find CR has a mission to find flaws not usually worth mentioning. They've panned Nissan models in the past for example, but openly acknowledged the most recent crop of vehicles are far better. They just didn't love the Jeep. They mentioned some positive aspects too but it was a mixed bag.

I hope someone else gets a Grand Cherokee for a long-term test. Consumer Reports buys their cars and I think it helps them stay more objective, even if they look at things from a non-enthusiast view.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The point is they want to position Jeep as a premium brand - if you are a premium brand you shouldn't be "cheaping out" on lower trim levels. If you are a premium brand.Foe example, I'd expect a "cheap" trim in a Ford Expedition, not a Lincoln Navigator.
Limited used to be the top of the line Grand Cherokee trim. It probably remained the most popular trim as it was still quite well equipped in the outgoing Grand Cherokee.
Now it seems a noticeable step down.
Question: the price of a Lincoln Navigator base trim and a GC-L base trim is the same? (I'm not USA based)

Anyway, I think that "premium" is different from "luxury". One can't cheapen a luxury object, but one can ask a premium price for other contents (not for soft plastics or wooden trims or a full leather dashboard) like: 3rd row, ADAS, all new and lighter platform with better handling and better crash test rating, off-road capabilities, etc.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Question: the price of a Lincoln Navigator base trim and a GC-L base trim is the same? (I'm not USA based)

Anyway, I think that "premium" is different from "luxury". One can't cheapen a luxury object, but one can ask a premium price for other contents (not for soft plastics or wooden trims or a full leather dashboard) like: 3rd row, ADAS, all new and lighter platform with better handling and better crash test rating, off-road capabilities, etc.
Navigator would better align with Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.
Lincoln Aviator would be a better comparison to Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
Lincoln Aviator starts at $51,465.
Grand Cherokee L starts at $38,625.
Ford Explorer starts at $32, 925.
So Grand Cherokee gets lower trim levels to compete with Ford Explorer but is expected to also bring Lincoln Aviator prices for top trim levels.

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
Navigator would better align with Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.
Lincoln Aviator would be a better comparison to Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
Lincoln Aviator starts at $51,465.
Grand Cherokee L starts at $38,625.
Ford Explorer starts at $32, 925.
So Grand Cherokee gets lower trim levels to compete with Ford Explorer but is expected to also bring Lincoln Aviator prices for top trim levels.
Another example of mismanaged marketing by forcing one brand to cover multiple markets when FCA had unused brands ready for product.

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
Wait a moment!

Grand Cherokee Limited was the second top trim most years. Overland was the top. Long-time Grand Cherokee customers liked the Limited because it was nicely appointed and had many options.

Now, Grand Cherokee has above the Limited trim the following: Limited X, Overland, High Altitude and Summit.
Grand Cherokee L has Overland, Summit and Summit Reserve above the Limited.

What has happened is that the Limited lost content while the price kept going up.

The Overland today is what the Limited was years ago. Customers are noticing and not liking it.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Grand Cherokee Limited was the second top trim most years. Overland was the top. Long-time Grand Cherokee customers liked the Limited because it was nicely appointed and had many options.

Now, Grand Cherokee has above the Limited trim the following: Limited X, Overland, High Altitude and Summit.
Grand Cherokee L has Overland, Summit and Summit Reserve above the Limited.

What has happened is that the Limited lost content while the price kept going up.

The Overland today is what the Limited was years ago. Customers are noticing and not liking it.
It's the old Detroit habit - new and "better" names moved old names down market.
Bel Air was the top Chevrolet trim. Until they stuffed Impala and then Caprice above it and Bel Air became the base model.
Or how Fury went from the top of the Plymouth line to become every full size Plymouth.

Moves like these can destroy goodwill in the customer's eyes.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi
81 - 100 of 133 Posts