Allpar Forums banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
I'm in a company that prides itself on its software development. Basically that means they expect software revenue/profit to grow while hardware revenue/profit stagnates.

The sad part is they consider software engineers fungible. Someone with 10 years experience? They're easily replaced by someone else. And the quality of the software releases suffer for this.
This fungible employee attitude is not limited to software engineers at this company, but the problem is most evident there.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
If Wipro is a cost over quality company like the above examples, Stellantis will have it's work cut out for it. But again, I don't have direct experience with them, just with how many companies tend to utilize IT outsourcing (internal IT resource costs 100k per year, but outsourced one costs 30k per year, let's have the outsourcing company put 2 developers on it, and save 40k!).
Lots of talent in India for those willing to pay, but yes, I've seen some disastrous code from the lowest bid Indian programmers. I've also seen things like when HP moved their printer drivers to India and a lot of buyers, including corporate buyers, said "Well, HP was good while it lasted" and moved on. It's the main way they lost their near monopoly on corporate laser printers.

I suspect Sergio's strategy was different from Carlos', because Sergio wanted only engineers fresh out of college.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Lots of talent in India for those willing to pay, but yes, I've seen some disastrous code from the lowest bid Indian programmers. I've also seen things like when HP moved their printer drivers to India and a lot of buyers, including corporate buyers, said "Well, HP was good while it lasted" and moved on. It's the main way they lost their near monopoly on corporate laser printers.

I suspect Sergio's strategy was different from Carlos', because Sergio wanted only engineers fresh out of college.
Yep, I know some absolutely brilliant Indian programmers.

As far as Wipro, I wasn't sure if they were contracted before or after the merger. And I suspect there was a dramatic culture shift post merger. We shall see if it ends up being the right decision.

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
Yep, I know some absolutely brilliant Indian programmers.

As far as Wipro, I wasn't sure if they were contracted before or after the merger. And I suspect there was a dramatic culture shift post merger. We shall see if it ends up being the right decision.
They were contracted before the merger was approved by the regulators and boards. It was all an FCA project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
https://www.stellpower.com/news-2021/mack-pros-every-…e-l-to-be-tested/

A recent release from Stellantis claims that every single Jeep Grand Cherokee L (and, eventually, ever Grand Cherokee) will be tested on the new Mack Avenue plant’s enclosed 2,000-foot track. The three-minute test simulates real-world driving conditions, with faux potholes, manhole covers, rumble strips, cobblestones, speed bumps, and gravel. An electro-servo shaker, the first of its kind in North America, will provide another 2 minutes, 40 seconds of testing reproducing the buzz, squeak, and rattle track, followed by 3-5 minutes of testing for more aggressive conditions.

Finally, an inline water test will cover every vehicle made in the Mack plant, with 600 nozzles delivering water at 30 psi for 3 minutes; following that, a nine-position water test will simulate different terrains and weather conditions....
This is great, but once they identify rattles/noises…will they actually correct them? I have a 2022 GCL on order and cabin noises drive me absolutely crazy…in a bad way!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well we did it. Took delivery of a new Grand Cherokee L Altitude. My first new vehicle since my 2002 Ram 2500. Let's hope it's a good one.

Congratulations.

Once you’re settled in with the vehicle - make sure you post a new thread on things you like about the vehicle (and may not like).

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
I will do that. I know I can be quite critical of them at times, but we both have loved these since they came out. My wife wanted something that truly replaced her Commander. She says this looks badass. Lol
And she's going to be 60 in a few weeks. Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is great, but once they identify rattles/noises…will they actually correct them? I have a 2022 GCL on order and cabin noises drive me absolutely crazy…in a bad way!
If they find an issue it should be in the computer system as a issue during the build process. Warranty has access to the complete build record should a problem still exist.
At the Bramalea plant we tested every car for water leaks and every car runs the track. If something was found the car would be driven directly to the BSR (buzz squeaks and rattles) room were we would trace the water leak or find the BSR issue. We also had a 4 post individual wheel Shaker that could replicate our track or part of it over and over till you locate noise, and a list of other corporate tracks.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
Congratulations.

Once you’re settled in with the vehicle - make sure you post a new thread on things you like about the vehicle (and may not like).
It'll take me weeks to figure out how to work everything. I have to give Auburn Hills credit, this is very well equipped for the money. The Altitude package is basically a Laredo with 20in black rims, roof rack and leather trimmed cloth seats. It even has remote start. I honestly don't know what more one could want on a vehicle equipment wise. Remember, we're still 15k under the top of the line model.

·
Registered
1 Posts

A recent release from Stellantis claims that every single Jeep Grand Cherokee L (and, eventually, ever Grand Cherokee) will be tested on the new Mack Avenue plant’s enclosed 2,000-foot track. The three-minute test simulates real-world driving conditions, with faux potholes, manhole covers, rumble strips, cobblestones, speed bumps, and gravel. An electro-servo shaker, the first of its kind in North America, will provide another 2 minutes, 40 seconds of testing reproducing the buzz, squeak, and rattle track, followed by 3-5 minutes of testing for more aggressive conditions.

Finally, an inline water test will cover every vehicle made in the Mack plant, with 600 nozzles delivering water at 30 psi for 3 minutes; following that, a nine-position water test will simulate different terrains and weather conditions....
That’s really weird tho because I just bought a 2022 grand Cherokee L summit and in week 2 I got water in my lap from the overhead console, I wonder why?
I’m waiting for resolution from my dealership right now! If you think I trust this vehicle your sadly mistaken because what else is wrong or waiting to go wrong, needless to say I was furious!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Well my 2022 Grand Cherokee L must have bypassed this test. Its a month and a half old and has 2k miles on it and tonight I discovered a major roof leak in the rear. The headliner is completely ruined. We all know that finding the source of these issues can be like finding a needle in a haystack so needless to say this vehicle will be going back to the dealership tomorrow, perhaps for good.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts