Allpar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

Since 2014, workers at the plant have accused Teksid of colluding with powerful union CTM to block their election of an independent union, The Miners, and closing the USMCA case will mark the end of one of Mexico's longest-running labor conflicts.

In recent weeks, Teksid has recognized The Miners as the rightful union and agreed to re-hire, with back-pay, 36 workers who said they had been fired in retaliation for supporting the independent labor group.

Full article here:

Exclusive: Stellantis Mexico unit okays independent union; U.S. trade probe to end | Reuters

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,234 Posts
From the article:

Since 2014, workers at the plant have accused Teksid of colluding with powerful union CTM to block their election of an independent union, The Miners, and closing the USMCA case will mark the end of one of Mexico's longest-running labor conflicts.
Another Sergio legacy resolved. Seems like Stellantis wants to clean up all this outstanding conflict.

·
Registered
897 Posts
$18 a day. That's ridiculous. No wonder so many are illegally pouring across our open border. They should make the same wages as US and Canadian workers.

Reactions: jimboy

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$18 a day. That's ridiculous. No wonder so many are illegally pouring across our open border. They should make the same wages as US and Canadian workers.
Having a plant in Mexico is not like having a plant in the US. Equating the two is apples and oranges.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,174 Posts
If you read the article, it said $18/day "roughly in line with the hourly starting starting wages of US Stelantis workers". Either the US working wage is below government minimums or the article is not correct.

·
Administrator
40,234 Posts
Cost of living in Mexico is roughly M$47,000 for a family of four according to the site below, but I have some doubts based on their listing.
$18 is M$365.
M$365/day * 200 working days = M$73,000 which is more than enough to support your family as long as nothing bad happens.

That said, a fast food combo is 144 pesos or so, - so kind of a luxury item. Monthly rent for a furnished studio in a normal area is M$6353 or around ten days' work without Internet or utilities. Internet is around $18/month.

Sources: Convert Mexican Pesos (MXN) and United States Dollars (USD): Currency Exchange Rate Conversion Calculator

·
Registered
258 Posts
An independent union is usually superior to national unions. A union is supposed to represent workers, but when the union gets too large the individual workers are no longer represented. The union may strike antithetically to the workers and bus in Astroturf while threatening the individual workers. In more corrupt societies, the union could be run by criminal organizations, or the parent company.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you read the article, it said $18/day "roughly in line with the hourly starting starting wages of US Stelantis workers". Either the US working wage is below government minimums or the article is not correct.
I read it. It says he makes $18 a DAY which is roughly in line with what US workers make in an HOUR. I stand by what I said. Keeping Countries at these wages is why so many want to come here in the first place and it needs to end unless they come Legally. This is also why we lost so many jobs and products to China. It's just not right.

·
Administrator
40,234 Posts
I read it. It says he makes $18 a DAY which is roughly in line with what US workers make in an HOUR. I stand by what I said. Keeping Countries at these wages is why so many want to come here in the first place and it needs to end unless they come Legally. This is also why we lost so many jobs and products to China. It's just not right.
No argument from me, and that's why, at the risk of sounding "the w word," I do believe in fair trade more than free trade, while in both cases not being religious about it (that is, understand the need for exceptions and balance.)

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,174 Posts
Chances are that few auto workers are in that crowd. It is the normal worker that earns a fraction of that.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another issue in Mexico is that you need 3x the workers to be fully staffed because "no shows" are a massive problem...

·
Registered
1974 Chrysler Dart
50 Posts
My wife works for an American company answering calls for an insurance company.

They pay her $42.00 pesos per hour.

Insurance for me and her is included, but it is the government insurance and you don't want to go to those places.

I need $11,000 pesos per month to pay all the monthly bills for 3 people.

If Mexican workers were paid US wages they would be super rich.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My wife works for an American company answering calls for an insurance company.

They pay her $42.00 pesos per hour.

Insurance for me and her is included, but it is the government insurance and you don't want to go to those places.

I need $11,000 pesos per month to pay all the monthly bills for 3 people.

If Mexican workers were paid US wages they would be super rich.
That is about $550 USD per month to take care of 3 people in Mexico.

Not understanding the cost differences and commenting should be embarassing.

Reactions: Mexican Spec
1 - 18 of 18 Posts