Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time in my project to get the exhaust system. I figured that would be an easy choice. I was wrong again.
Does anyone have some input on the type of system I should install? I have a 408 with headers.
The headers are 2 1/2" at the collector.
Everything I have read about X and H piping continually contradicts its self. It seams than everyone has a different a pinion.
Im not to concernded about horsepower, but I like the deep throaty sound the motor makes with the open headers.
I was thinking of using Flowmaster 40. Will this muffler keep that sound?
Are X or H pipes even needed?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
H pipe. What it does is balance the exhaust pressure at lower rpm which is a good thing, also stabilizes the sound a bit. As far as the Flowmasters go, see if you can find the sound for a Dynomax muffler. 2.5 will be calm sounding to start with, which is all you need and a good balance for 408 cubic inches. As far as the sound between the two, it is subjective and personal, I just find the tone of the Dynomax more "beefy" sounding compared to Flowmasters.

Oh, and the X pipes are good for racing, high end exhaust cleaning out because the force is heading downstream, H pipe pushes and balances due to pressure pulses through each other and prevent things like not enough back pressure and overheating exhaust valves. It may not prevent it, but it will help.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Agree on the Flowmaster mufflers, (Very annoying sound) but Magnaflow is a very nice sounding muffler. 2 1/2 inch all the way back is perfect. In my experience, X pipe gives better low end torque than H pipe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
X pipe - H pipe. That made it perfectly clear - not!

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
OK, Core, are you more worried about having a good bottom end, or are you going to take it out on the strip and run it hard? A good 2.5 inch exhaust with mufflers you like the sound of, with an H pipe to connect the two sides is great for the street, whereas the X pipe is better for racing and higher rpm. You can look at a couple tests done on the net by the different magazines, sure they are there. Whatever design you decide on using, make sure the bends are mandrel bent, not compression bent, most shops do mandrel, prevents kinking the pipe and flows better, factory quite often ends up as compression bent, and exhaust is only as large as its smallest cross section, so when you see a ding, or a bend that takes it down to something smaller, well, that's the size of the exhaust, so just be aware of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts