Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a bit more aggressive exhaust note from my 07 Charger RT but I don't want to spend the money on a cat-back system. I was thinking of cutting the resonators off the back and running a pipe in its place. Has anyone done this? If so, is it worth it as far as the exhaust tone? Am I nuts? Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
20,250 Posts
Let us know if it sounds any better.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
The purpose of a resonator is to dampen a certain 'bandwidth' of noise, like a 'drone' at a certain rpm. It may be a little louder overall, but it may also be very annoying on a long trip trying to listen to the stereo.
Removing them won't net you any real increase in horsepower and may throw off the delicate balance of exhaust backpressure necessary for good engine performance/economy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
The purpose of a resonator is to dampen a certain 'bandwidth' of noise, like a 'drone' at a certain rpm. It may be a little louder overall, but it may also be very annoying on a long trip trying to listen to the stereo.
Removing them won't net you any real increase in horsepower and may throw off the delicate balance of exhaust backpressure necessary for good engine performance/economy.
Yes, it will increase "drone"...and will be especially noticeable when MDS kicks in. On my '06, I investigated several choices, and finally decided a Catback was the best way to go. I ended up with an SLP Loudmouth II system, and it sounds great. I've had it on there since early 2007.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts