Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Factory DVD player in a 2005 Dodge Caravan can play audio DVDs? Or in a more general sense what formats the player supports?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The VES (Vehicle Entertainment System) is capable of playing CD-Audio discs that conform to the following DVD/CD Forum requirements: Compact discs (CD) that conform to the Phillips and Sonys Red Book and Blue Book and the IEC 908 specification for audio CDs. Recordable compact discs (CD-R/CD-RW, DVD-R) that conforms to Phillips Orange Book (part II). The VES is capable of playing back DVD-Video discs that conform to DVD Book Part 1 (Physical Spec.), DVD Book Part 2 (File System Spec.), and DVD Book Part 3 (Video Spec.). If the CD contains both CDA (CD Audio) and Non-CDA data, the CD player shall skip the Non-CDA data and play the CDA tracks. If the Disc contains all Non-CDA data, then the player will eject the CD and display "Disc Error" on the VES screen. Other compact discs or non-specification discs may not play in the VES.

·
Registered
102 Posts
And that's why aftermarket head unit sellers have such good business. The problem is the CDA spec. CDA is a fine spec, but so are a half dozen others.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Just this past Monday afternoon, I had to explain to my 4 year old that the video he got at the library had to wait until we got home because the van doesn't play "Blu-ray" disks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answer, thought I had a quick work around via the DVD player, oh well. Maybe a new aftermarket head unit is in my future.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
That VES description was from 2005. Media technology has grown by leaps and bounds since. Bluetooth, MyGig and NAV media centers are available. Chrysler minivans were the first with Sirius backseat tv in 2008: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_news_archives.htm
But it was dropped for 2012: http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1073619_chrysler-drops-sirius-backseat-tv
DVD regions/configurations according to market are now selectable with the scan tool through the TIPM.

·
Registered
102 Posts
CANBUS can also cause compatibility problems between years after 2005 with factory stereo/video units. A factory unit from say 2010 will probably not work in an earlier vehicle. Might want to check the "Stereos" link, under Components on the top navigation bar here at ALLPAR; lots of good info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts