Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few spots on the roof, trunk and hood where the clear coat seems to be failing.

Has anyone had any luck getting a paint shop to paint just the bad panels and do a decent job of blending it back? The rest of the car is fine, and I'd rather just re-paint the bad sections than the whole car if possible.

I haven't had good luck in the past with collision paint shops. I had some damage repaired on another car and the shop did a lousy job blending the panel in with the rest of the car and the repainted panel had some bad orange peel.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,264 Posts
Cost will be almost the same as a total repaint. And clearcoat will peel on the undamaged panels soon, if you only do the ones that are damaged now.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
What was the problem with the paint/clearcoat back in the 90's? Ford and GM had the same problem but it seem worse with Mopar.

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
What was the problem with the paint/clearcoat back in the 90's? Ford and GM had the same problem but it seem worse with Mopar.
It was the switch to water based paints. Actually GM seemed to have the worst issues. On some new cars you could stick masking tape to the car and the paint came off with it (at least at one time that was the test the techs used to see if a car was eligible for a warranty repaint).

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,971 Posts
I agree with Bob. If you're going to have it repainted, it's best to have the entire car repainted. It probably won't cost that much more to repaint all of it vs just the hood, roof and trunk.

·
Super Moderator
32,264 Posts
It was the switch to water based paints. Actually GM seemed to have the worst issues. On some new cars you could stick masking tape to the car and the paint came off with it (at least at one time that was the test the techs used to see if a car was eligible for a warranty repaint).
No, because clearcoat was introduced at the same time as water-based paints. The issue is humidity present when the clearcoat is applied. It can also fail if applied more than 20 minutes after the finish coat, or less than 48 hours. Has to be right away, or after the paint has flashed and outgassed. If it's outgassing still while the clearcoat is applied, it will fail.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was going to try what you want to do on 85 Dodge but when removing the clear it become evident that I would be better off just re spray the whole thing with color and clear coat.
I think it could be done if your paint is a solid color (no metallic) and you were real careful in removing the clear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Makes sense to repaint the whole car. The paint is metallic.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just painted my bad spots this weekend. The paint was darker but not noticeable to anyone but me. Boy the paint sparkles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts