Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father's '98 Grand Voyager has an issue with the front wipers. First, the delay feature doesn't work as the wipers keep swiping as though they're set to the Low setting. Second, the wipers keep running for up to 5-6 swipes after the wiper switch is turned to the off position. During the time when the wipers should but won't park, they do "stutter" a bit when they're at or near the down position and then continue on to swipe again. This is all I know about it. Been doing some reading but I'm more confused than ever to know where to begin to look for this issue...relay, BCM, wiper switch, or the motor assembly? Anyone have this happen to them and if so how'd you fix it?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
It might be the relays. Try swapping the high beam and accessory relay in-place of the 2 wiper relays. Those 2 relays get much less cyclic activity than the wiper relays. Perhaps one of the contacts in the wiper relay is sticking from thousands of open and closed cycles.

·
Registered
292 Posts
you know, I had this same exact issue and brand new relays didnt fix it. But when I replaced the turn signal and motor with a junk yard unit and it was fixed. But about two weeks ago it started happening again. Both time for me happens only when it's really rainy or wet outside. If I had to take a guess at what it is I'd say the wiper motor is the culprit

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
There is a park sense switch in the motor that tells the BCM whenever a cycle of a wipe is completed and the wiper reach their park position. These switches can get dirty or intermittent so the BCM may miss a sweep or not see the park position at every cycle.
With a voltmeter connected to the park sense terminal, it should show ground (0 volts to body) during the wiper sweep and no ground (12 volts to body) whenever the wipers reach the parked position.
Not saying that I am 100% sure that it is the motor itself until you try this test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for those replies. Do any of you know of where I could get a wiper system wiring diagram for that '98 Voyager? I'd need to know where to check the circuits. Also, is it hard to access the wiper motor and it's harness? I haven't gotten a chance to check anything yet as he lives about 2 1/2 hrs away. But when I get all the info I believe I'll need to get started on it, I'll plan on making a trip to check out everything and get back to you guys if I find anything or need more help...

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The wiper motor connector should be mounted on the driver's side, front of the cowl plenum under the hood.
You may find wiring color/pinout info on Google or at one of the larger public libraries.
Bring a test light, jumper wire, DMM and hand tools (including torx bits) with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts