Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Nice. Something I actually always wondered about when I had mine. There were mornings where I had to scrape the heavy frost or ice off the weatherstrip and de-stick it from the window before trying to get into the car.

Reactions: Mike V.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That's a good idea actually.
On my 2010 I silicone-sprayed the window seals every autumn, and I still had to be diligent about thoroughly drying out the window seals if I washed the car in freezing or near-freezing weather. (I'd assumed the same would be true for my 2015, but I got it right at the end of winter and haven't had to wash it in cold weather yet.)

Reactions: PCRMike

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I have in other Chrysler products, an '02 Mini-Van and '99 Neon R/T. The mini-van was weather independent, with 3 small children, lots of dirty and sticky food/drink product made its way unto door seals that would stick the sliding doors and prevent them from opening properly. A hot soapy rag was all that was needed to remedy the situation.

My '99 Neon R/T which was a frameless window (I think like the Challenger) 2 door. Cleanliness of the seals seem to contribute to door sticking in cold weather, as well as silicone lube to protect and keep the seal from drying out. BUT, even after cleaning and lubing door seals, I have experienced doors freezing and freezing to the door seal. And have damaged the door seal by forcing the door open overcoming the frozen door seal.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I have in other Chrysler products, an '02 Mini-Van and '99 Neon R/T. The mini-van was weather independent, with 3 small children, lots of dirty and sticky food/drink product made its way unto door seals that would stick the sliding doors and prevent them from opening properly. A hot soapy rag was all that was needed to remedy the situation.

My '99 Neon R/T which was a frameless window (I think like the Challenger) 2 door. Cleanliness of the seals seem to contribute to door sticking in cold weather, as well as silicone lube to protect and keep the seal from drying out. BUT, even after cleaning and lubing door seals, I have experienced doors freezing and freezing to the door seal. And have damaged the door seal by forcing the door open overcoming the frozen door seal.
The issue is that the window on the Challenger is programmed to roll down 1/4" or so upon lifting of the door handle for the door to be able to open cleanly. Chrysler convert's from the Daimler era had the same thing ( PT's and Crossfire for sure ). When heavy frost or ice builds up on them, the window wont roll down, which means that getting the door open could potentially tear the door/window seal and possibly even break the glass in an extreme case.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Super Moderator
40,838 Posts
The issue is that the window on the Challenger is programmed to roll down 1/4" or so upon lifting of the door handle for the door to be able to open cleanly. Chrysler convert's from the Daimler era had the same thing ( PT's and Crossfire for sure ). When heavy frost or ice builds up on them, the window wont roll down, which means that getting the door open could potentially tear the door/window seal and possibly even break the glass in an extreme case.
And this design creates an air seal at the window way better than any frameless Neon window had.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,130 Posts
My Challenger = HORRIBLE in winter. And not just when it snows. Even below freezing temps would mean no access since the glass has to slide down to open the door.

I finally found some stuff called Gummi Pfledge or something like that...it's a German product. You can wipe it on the weather seals and it will prevent freezing. It's the only thing I found that worked. Before that I cussed my car on many mornings before work.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
My Challenger = HORRIBLE in winter. And not just when it snows. Even below freezing temps would mean no access since the glass has to slide down to open the door.

I finally found some stuff called Gummi Pfledge or something like that...it's a German product. You can wipe it on the weather seals and it will prevent freezing. It's the only thing I found that worked. Before that I cussed my car on many mornings before work.

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-914806-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

This is the Allpar forum so you'll probably hear that they cheat because they're German. ;)

·
Banned
4,562 Posts

After some freezing rain, there's no way any of my doors would open on my 2011 DGC. The only thing you could do is pull the door handles off trying to get in. I regularly have to wipe the weather striping with silicone spray in the Winter months to keep it from happening.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts

woot! wish I would have known about this stuff when I still had my Neon--I was always having problems with the door seals.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,250 Posts
I remember when they first did the slide-down thing on the windows and credited it to Mercedes. It did work (except in winter apparently but it seemed gimmicky. Yes, it made a better seal, but other companies have long made frameless windows without it. My 1976 Camaro stands as an example...

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Lol, I remember Buicks from the 80's that I opened for people who had their keys locked inside, by pulling the glass back and putting my arm in between the glass and weather stripping to pull up on the door lock. They sealed great, no doubt. I remember a few that used to leak like hell when it was raining out and the wind would blow it in under the weather stripping while driving. My buddy had a '81 Regal and he used to have a towel in the car with him at all times.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I remember when they first did the slide-down thing on the windows and credited it to Mercedes. It did work (except in winter apparently but it seemed gimmicky. Yes, it made a better seal, but other companies have long made frameless windows without it. My 1976 Camaro stands as an example...
Here is my experience: in the 1990s I had a Camaro Z28. It didn't have this slide down feature. The glass made a seal against the weatherstrip by contact pressure only. Everytime it rained it would leak like a sieve. I hated it. So when I bought the Challenger I thought to myself, "Awesome design! It can't leak!". And...it didn't leak. It was great! Then winter came... and every morning I spent 20 minutes (literally) just trying to get INTO my car. Suddenly I wasn't so happy anymore. Point being...every design has it's flaws if you're trying to go frameless. I'm glad to see Dodge is looking at the problem, but a heating element in the glass will have it's own problems too. At least they're trying.

Reactions: MPE426HEMI
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.