Allpar Forums banner

421 - 440 of 461 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,715 Posts
The 1st generation Neon lasted five model years, and the 2nd generation lasted six, with a refresh in the middle. That's not horribly unusual for the time, and it's certainly much better than what FCA churns out!
The class leading engines (1995) were just also-rans by the second gen (2000). The switch from 3 speed to 4 speed autos didn't help much. There was no real (visible) first gen refresh, he second gen styling lost a lot of the uniqueness and the second gen restyle was mild. So much promise was lost on he Neon. The only real "variant" of many proposed was the PT Cruiser. And by the time the SRT4 came out, DCX was so embarrassed of Neon, the Neon name never went on the performance version.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Fiat brand had two strikes against it from the start of it's launch here. Quality, and having it as exclusive stand alone dealers. Plus gas prices started to drop not long after launch and small car sales began to dry up. It already had a fix it image left over and they did nothing to help rid themselves of that image. They virtually set it up to fail.

One scratches ones head.

·
10,444 Posts
Fiat brand had two strikes against it from the start of it's launch here. Quality, and having it as exclusive stand alone dealers. Plus gas prices started to drop not long after launch and small car sales began to dry up. It already had a fix it image left over and they did nothing to help rid themselves of that image. They virtually set it up to fail.
The complete lack of awareness of how North America consumers viewed/view Fiat has to be one of the biggest blind spots in automotive history.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Watched the video. I would venture to guess that most anything front drive or AWD will at some point have Peugeot underpinnings. His strategy isn't new. I'd call it Iacocca 101, cut all your platforms down to one, the K platform, and base everything off that. We shall see how it evolves over time.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
One thing that I hadn't thought of is that GM probably has next to ZERO sympathy / goodwill with the American public.

Whatever people might think of FCA, I imagine that they feel even less for Government Motors...OOPS!...I mean GM.

·
Administrator
35,979 Posts
Watched the video. I would venture to guess that most anything front drive or AWD will at some point have Peugeot underpinnings. His strategy isn't new. I'd call it Iacocca 101, cut all your platforms down to one, the K platform, and base everything off that. We shall see how it evolves over time.
Yup... well, Fiat's strategy has gone from "limited platforms" to "splintered platforms," and each "new beginning" ends up splintering...

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
And I'm sure that won't work with Tavares. He's already starting on bringing Opel into the Peugeot stable, he will do the same with Fiat. If Alfa is to survive with rear and AWD it will finally be forced to share with Dodge.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You mean Maserati and Jeep? Or are they left out for a reason?
Pretty sure his point was that Dodge WAS left out. Maserati doesn't factor in heavily volume-wise, and it is no secret Jeep has a GG platform vehicle coming.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Tavares shares views on bid to combine PSA and Fiat Chrysler

PSA does not have a designated chief operating officer. How do you manage decision-making?

I am a strong believer in a matrix organization. At PSA we operate within three axes: the regions, the brands and the functions. Even within this three-dimensional operation, we have business units that go through and try to boost the system. For example, we could have the CEO of Peugeot reporting on volumes and profit, then the European head report on total profits, volumes, market share, quality and customer satisfaction for all brands in the region. On the functional side, we would look at whether we are ready to launch a new car, are manufacturing costs being reduced? So we are constantly reviewing the business in three dimensions.

On Jan. 1 new EU CO2 regulations will start to take effect and fleet emissions will have to drop sharply to 95 grams per kilometer. How will PSA flip that switch?

We have a very precise process. I can't say a lot about it because it's highly competitive, but it involves our production, our order book, and making our dealers actors in what we are doing, not just followers. For us, it's an ethical matter [to meet CO2 targets], not just a financial matter. Our employees' children might ask them someday, "What did you do to fix the global warming issue?" So, they want to say that despite working at a car company, they are contributing -- and working really hard -- to address global warming.

PSA has had some of the best operating margins in the automotive industry, but there is an overall cost for emissions compliance. How much of this cost can you absorb and how much will you pass on to your customers?

We can be very disciplined on pricing, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. All we can do is be the most profitable, so you don't get hit immediately by the costs of governments not investing in a charging network, not subsidizing sales of electric vehicles appropriately, or doing the wrong thing in terms of regulations. So either we digest these costs, or we are able to increase productivity. Or we can't, and somebody will get hurt.

Whole interview at: Tavares shares views on bid to combine PSA and Fiat Chrysler (at https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/tavares-shares-views-bid-combine-psa-and-fiat-chrysler )

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
The memorandum is almost done.
It looks like that are going on some discussions about the value of COMAU (FCA’s robotics company) that is estimated to be higher than the initial Euro 250 million. The discussion is about who will receive the extra value, FCA shareholders, both, or will be put in place another arregement.

421 - 440 of 461 Posts