Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
And the best part is that a committee all nodded in agreement that this was a good idea. The press release almost made me yak. I like some good marketing doublespeak but it was just pure PR bullpoopies and the automotive world is laughing their asses off......as they should be

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
And the best part is that a committee all nodded in agreement that this was a good idea. The press release almost made me yak. I like some good marketing doublespeak but it was just pure PR bullpoopies and the automotive world is laughing their asses off......as they should be
The name isn't even really for the automotive world (people). It was made for the use of filing papers and shuffling money around, most people don't know or even care about corporate names (just ask people about fca and they wont know what you're talking about)

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first thought was that the name was a combination of "stellar", for the Latin word referring to stars, and Atlantis, a legendary lost continent or city said to have sunk into the ocean, thus meaning a sinking star. Then I thought it could be a combination of star and Mylanta (the heartburn drug). Or maybe something to do with Atlanta. Apparently I was only half right.

The name does little for me. Some have argued that the name is unimportant; I would counter that though the name is not very important, attention to detail would include coming up a name that would help the business in some way, with customers/investors, regulators, and/or the public. I already read the statement about how the name stands for a star rising up in the sky or something like that. (I found it too boring to re-read it and jog my memory.) But don't almost all corporations aspire to be successful?

If you look at car company names, some describe the company, like FCA or GM. Many reflect a a family name like Ford or Toyoda or Honda. Some describe a location, like FIAT, BMW or Cadillac. Some are aspirational or inspirational like Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln, Tesla, or Plymouth. It appears Stellantis is in the latter category.

They could do a lot worse. Consider my list of possible corporate names based on the component parts:

ACCORD - Alfa Romeo Chrysler Citroen Opel Ram Dodge
CARP - Citroen Alfa Romeo Ram Peugeot
COAL - Chrysler Opel Alfa Romeo Lancia
COMA - Chrysler Opel Maserati Alfa Romeo
CRAP - Chrysler Ram Alfa Romeo Peugeot
FLAVOR - FIAT Lancia Alfa Romeo Vauxhall Opel Ram
COPRA - Chrysler Opel Peugeot Ram Alfa Romeo
FLOP - FIAT Lancia Opel Peugeot
FORD - FIAT Opel Ram Dodge
JALOP - Jeep Alfa Romeo Lancia Opel Peugeot
OPAL - Opel Peugeot Alfa Romeo Lancia
ORCA - Opel Ram Chrysler Alfa Romeo
Those clearly are all awful names.

Some people have proposed names based on the idea of how big the company would be, something similar to Global Motors or something of that nature, Those type of names remind me of General Motors, but that name, which was fine for its era, now suggests a huge, non-caring bureaucratic corporate entity looking for government influence and buying up things, the kind of thing that would get the nickname "Government Motors". . It's no wonder that when the old TV show "Fringe" wanted a name for a fictional large evil company, they picked "Massive Dynamic".

Most of the evocative names I mentioned are for luxury brands appealing abstractly to wealthy buyers which names suggesting wealth or historical figures, Plymouth being an exception, but there is still room for names that are evocative in other ways... of freedom to move, of supporting historic and nationally important brands, of providing jobs, of being good for the environment, of making loads of money for investors, of making fun cars, of helping people achieve things, of going fast, whatever might help the company. It's hard to imagine Stellantis helping them do any of those things.

·
Valued Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In the 42 years I worked at Chrysler (1966 to 2007) we were going out of business I forget how many times, had a bunch of name changes, dropped some brands of cars and we are still alive and well. GO FIGURE !!

PS: I remember back in the 70's we were wearing sweatshirts that said "Endangered Species".

·
Jeepaholic
5,889 Posts
Who cares what it's called. Make intriguing product that is high in quality and that's all people will care about anyway.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Just bring back the Pentastar.
At our plants and HQ we still have the Pentastar.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Well, we know where the North American headquarters will be. I wonder how they're going to do their EU headquarters?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
You forgot nausea, vomiting, migraine headaches, painful joints, loss of hair, loss of hearing, toe fungus, and the ever popular diarrhea.:p:D
And if they last over 4 hours get to the hospital. :D

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well this makes it logistically easier to kill off the Chrysler brand. While the Company had "Chrysler" in its name, even if only the initial "C" in FCA, it wouldn't make sense to not have at least one vehicle known as a Chrysler. Now, all kinds of chopping block activity can take place and the name Chrysler will recede into distant memory. I find that sad.

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
I think it would help if something was added, like "Stellantis Automotive", "Stellantis Transportation" or "Stellantis Motors".

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
356 Posts
They've been gearing toward euro styling for a decade, changing the name to something European sounding makes sense. Buh-bye Chrysler.

21 - 40 of 120 Posts