Allpar Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,570 Posts
Most people would not know what Alphabet Inc. is... even if most use its services everyday.
Unless you own stock in it, that is....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just bring back the Pentastar.
At our plants and HQ we still have the Pentastar.
My second thought (the one that followed "What the...") was "Stella = star -> Pentastar!"

The first thing that PSA brings to my mind is medical jargon: a cancer screen for men. I prefer Stellantis to the kind of Frankenstein words that Madison Avenue likes. Peuchrysliat? Nah, probably something worse.

·
10,394 Posts
In fairness, PSA is out of practice coming up with names. After all, it’s spent its entire existence naming things like 205, 305, 2008, CX and DS.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
77 Monaco Brougham said:
And...as for the font used in the logo......It looks like something out of the title of some Sci-Fi TV show.

Lord Hobbit said:

Close enough

Actually...I was thinking the Stellantis logo looked closer to the font from the Sci-Fi series "Babylon 5".

·
Registered
932 Posts
Names mean things to Americans. That's why Datsun changed. That's why so many foreign companies have come up with "Americanized" names for brands. And then there's also name recognition. I think it does matter, at least some.

I still get harassed about "driving a Fiat" by idiots around here to this day. How bad is it going to get when I'm driving a Stellantis? Sigh...

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Names mean things to Americans. That's why Datsun changed. That's why so many foreign companies have come up with "Americanized" names for brands. And then there's also name recognition. I think it does matter, at least some.

I still get harassed about "driving a Fiat" by idiots around here to this day. How bad is it going to get when I'm driving a Stellantis? Sigh...
This is a name that no one is gonna know or care about just like FCA or Chrysler Group LLC or Chrysler LLC. It is not a brand nor a make it is for paperwork

·
Registered
164 Posts

I remember that, as a kid, I thought "dachshund" was a homonym of "Datsun" until I saw the breed name in print. Thankfully I saw the difference before I could make an @$$ of myself.:rolleyes:
This is a name that no one is gonna know or care about just like FCA or Chrysler Group LLC or Chrysler LLC. It is not a brand nor a make it is for paperwork
As for meanings, I'll take Stellantis over Cerberus, the three-headed dog from hell.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
When I saw that stylized "A" in the name, I thought of it immediately as an update of the American Motors logo. And what a great logo to add to all the vehicles produced (marketed) by FCA/PSA! Certainly not as bad as adding FCA/PSA. But it may be too close to the Acura logo.
I think Stellantis is a lot better than FCA or PSA or whatever combination that it was going to create.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I mean, at least their acronym isn't a reproductive organ?
or a medical screen of the other.

Well this makes it logistically easier to kill off the Chrysler brand. While the Company had "Chrysler" in its name, even if only the initial "C" in FCA, it wouldn't make sense to not have at least one vehicle known as a Chrysler. Now, all kinds of chopping block activity can take place and the name Chrysler will recede into distant memory. I find that sad.
That is literally true for all Stell/\ntis brands. Why assume it's a foregone conclusion when frankly there are lots of reasons for it not to be: Fiat, AR, Peugeot, and Citröen? Fiat is a dead brand already in the US. Most question AR, though I think you can make a case for it, especially after dumping Fiat branded cars, making sure any residual issues with Giulia are resolved and don't creep up in new stuff, and accepting that it's going to be a niche market "M fighter" brand teamed up with Maserati. Neither of the French brands is coming any time soon with this merger, especially under the current COVID economy. Tavares is smarter than that. Opel is the proof.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Now, I'm probably going to get yelled at, but here goes... The one thing that is VERY Chrysler about all this is that instead of coming up with something that reflected its heritage, name-wise, they threw out the baby with the bathwater, again, and went with something totally new, just like Chrysler did with almost every vehicle it ever made. LOL!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Now, I'm probably going to get yelled at, but here goes... The one thing that is VERY Chrysler about all this is that instead of coming up with something that reflected its heritage, name-wise, they threw out the baby with the bathwater, again, and went with something totally new, just like Chrysler did with almost every vehicle it ever made. LOL!
OK, not yelling...how do you come up with a GOOD name for a new conglomeration of two corporations that were three a decade ago, with a huge number of different brands? Using an esoteric neologism like "Stellantis" is how you get around long acronyms that please no one (whose name goes first?) and just get more ungainly as you add another corporation (PFCA). JM2$ (adj for inflation). In the case of Stellantis, it also gets away from immediate associated negative connotations in the US of Fiat and French cars, right, wrong, or indifferent.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
AMC = Al Most a Car.

LOL, and I worked there 1979 to 1985. A bunch of borrowed parts from others, slapped together best we could. Then, try to make the parts work together in unison!! Fun times!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
AMC = Al Most a Car.

LOL, and I worked there 1979 to 1985. A bunch of borrowed parts from others, slapped together best we could. Then, try to make the parts work together in unison!! Fun times!!!
What are you talking about? Chrysler axles, Ford switches, GM engines, Renault brakes and engine controls - that all sounds like a match made in heaven to me!

Reactions: Bajanbuoy

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

The name Datsun should have been left alone in North America. For all intents and purposes, IT WAS the Americanized name, and it had really good name recognition, not to mention sales.

I think changing to NIssan was needless and pointless. The only thing it really did was add confusion.

Don't give us North Americans a new name to have to get used to after we've already become accustomed to the first one!;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
What are you talking about? Chrysler axles, Ford switches, GM engines, Renault brakes and engine controls - that all sounds like a match made in heaven to me!
And yet, I had fewer problems with my ‘78 Gremlin in eight years than I’ve had with my ‘18 Compass in two.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts