Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FCA does not wish to merge with Peugeot-Citroën (PSA), because any automotive partner must be strong in China, according to Sergio Marchionne. Speaking with Reuters, the chief executive of Fiat Chrysler also said he was looking to hook up with non-auto-producing companies to bolster driving automation and electronics. Mr. Marchionne said that FCA’s strong presence in North America, Europe, and Latin America were countered by weakness in China. FCA, according to its own reports, is fairly weak in most […]
Read the whole post here.

·
Defender of Reality
2,969 Posts
Making Suzuki and Mazda the most likely merger candidates.....outside of a purely Chinese company of course, but that would be really dangerous given the lack of IP protection in China.

·
10,444 Posts
I hear Atari and Magnavox are looking for an automaker to get into autonomous driving...

·
10,444 Posts
Yes. It will come with a $1,000 bungee cord to tie up the steering wheel on the freeway for "autonomous" driving experience. And the instructions sheet will be printed in English, Italian and French to show true multinational effort.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Making Suzuki and Mazda the most likely merger candidates.....outside of a purely Chinese company of course, but that would be really dangerous given the lack of IP protection in China.
Exactly. They do have a partner in China but I gather they are not satisfied with progress so far .

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
outside of a purely Chinese company of course, but that would be really dangerous given the lack of IP protection in China.
That sounds like a very good reason to stay out of China altogether (along with the mandatory joint venture arrangement needed to manufacture cars locally). In that sense, maybe FCA's limited presence in China is actually a blessing in disguise?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
FCA does not wish to merge with Peugeot-Citroën (PSA), because any automotive partner must be strong in China
PSA already is 14 % Chinese, though (and given PSA's apparent lack of initiative to throw out Dongfeng, I don't think that ownership percentage will decrease any time soon, on the contrary it may increase, perhaps even to 100 % one day?)

·
10,444 Posts
It needs to be an automaker from Japan.

It is the only Axis member left that hasn't owned Jeep yet.

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
Agree. I would have said VW a year ago, but not so much now.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Yes. It will come with a $1,000 bungee cord to tie up the steering wheel on the freeway for "autonomous" driving experience. And the instructions sheet will be printed in English, Italian and French to show true multinational effort.
No doubt, there will be a Cartridge Slot in the Console or Dash which, depending on the Cartridge of your choice, will allow you to go the same speed all the time, but will supply Dash and UConnect read-outs showing Virtualized dynamics and Sound Effects in Sport, Econo and Sand/Snow modes.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Whatever comes out of SM's mouth I in no way believe. PSA probably turned him down and he was first out there to try and spin it. Has there been any credible rumors of anybody interested in merging with an FCA with him any way involved?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Mitsubishi, we come, right back where we started from.

If they're big enough in the Pacific region, maybe.
I think with the right focus (refinements/quality), this tie-up could work like never before. CERTAINLY the history between them could be leveraged to right any prior wrongs given the co-operation of both sides. No?

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
PSA boss, Mr. Tavares, has himself been recently speaking of PSA being ready, now that they're profitable etc, for "cooperation"/consolidation. PSA and FCA have an old and successful collaboration in UV-s (europe). etc

One supposes that FCA will, 2018 or later, look to not-necessarily just-one 'deal' with say a silicon valley or PE-type firm. I'd imagine a non-car-company deal AND a car-company one (PSA? Suzuki?....) are likely enough at some soon point, 2018+ and/or -.

Marchionne's been insistent on doing a long-term BIG cost-rationalisation deal, not merely one that boosts FCA financially in the shorter-run, or one that is merely incremental. Apparently he also has worries about FCA's small and weak position in China. And he is 'retiring', too (2019?2020?).

I imagine that despite the bluster about 'safe' in-and-through a us-market downturn and the fast-improving performance in the euoprean market: he is all-too aware that FCA desperately needs a further and huge financial improvement (zero net debt, loads of cash reserves) if it is to live-healthily through the inevitable macroeconomic crises globally over the next 5 years or 10.

Not to mention overcoming its over-dependence on the US-market or indeed the European one, both of which remain very high-cost and low-margin over-the-business-cycles.

Hopefully, then, this disavowal of a merger-type big-deal with say PSA is bluster too, and one or even 2 such remain in the works by say 2018 or so? To go with whatever non-car, IT-firm deal he's working on, if any.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts