FCA US gained just a little market share for both June and the first half of 2016, moving from 12.7% to 13.4%, according to Automotive News figures. The company falls behind the mighty General Motors (16.7%), Ford (15.6%), and Toyota (13.9%) in US sales, but it is still gaining; Toyota has been falling.

At the end of Daimler ownership, it appeared that Nissan would displace Chrysler, but Nissan now has just a 9.3% market share, and has been selling heavily into rental fleets. Nissan did, though, overcome Honda this year (so far); Honda, which has barely any fleet sales at all, is currently at 9.2%.


Within FCA US (which does not include Maserati), Jeep has been growing, moving from 37% of sales to 41%. (Indeed, Jeep, on its own, would have a 5% market share.) Dodge comes in at #2, with 24%, and Ram follows with 22%. Dodge and Ram combined would be 46%, beating Jeep.

Chrysler is now down to 12% of FCA shipments, from 16% in the first half of 2015, as the bottom dropped out of 200 sales. Fiat has held steady with 2% and Alfa Romeo is under 0.5%.

Looking solely at brands, Ford is easily the leader (1.3 million) followed by Toyota and Chevrolet (1 million each). There’s a sudden cliff, and then Nissan and Honda battle it out at around 733,000 to 713,000. After another cliff we find Jeep (468,131) beating Hyundai and Kia quite easily; then Dodge and Ram both come before GMC. Surprisingly, you then have to pass Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, and Volkswagen before coming to Chrysler’s 137,372.

Many brands stand between Chrysler and Fiat, whose 17,735 sales put it just behind Mini (25,133) in the rankings; only Jaguar, Smart (yes, they still exist), and a few triple-digit-sales brands separate Fiat from the bottom of the list.