Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured that I'm probably not the only person curious about this...

The Magnum as a first-generation LX was discontinued before the improvements on the 2nd generation LX were implemented. What I'm curious about is how hard it would be to retrofit various things. I see two major types of retrofits, the first being interior/cosmetic, the second being drivetrain.

So, starting with Interior/cosmetic...

Looking at the Magnum as compared to the 300 and Charger, the Magnum definitely shared A-pillar metal and B-pillar metal with the 300, and the shape of the C-pillar metal as related to the rear doors also appears to be the same. It looks like on the refreshed 300, these metal pillars are unchanged.

The outside door skins are obviously not the same on the old 300/Magnum versus the new 300, but the windowline looks like it's in the same place. This makes me think that the interior metal part of the doors is either the same, or if changed, is only mildly so, and that such changes could be applied to the older doors if changes were things like drilling holes for different trim or armrests.

What I'm not sure about is if the Magnum and Charger share a common A-pillar or not.

The Charger and the 300 evolved apart with the new dashboards, it would probably thematically make more sense to use a Dodge dash in a retrofit of a Magnum, rather than a Chrysler dash. I assume that this is dependent on how the dash interacts with the A-pillars and with the door panels.

Ideally, I'd want the dash from a Charger, door panels that are complimentary front and back, and seats that are complimentary. I'd like improved A and B pillars, and I'm realistic that C-pillars and back will probably be original due to no new-generation parts. Seats would be nice if they were modern, but I'm not sure about how the rear seats would work.

So, for drivetrain...

The 3.6L is a very nice engine, and paired with the eight-speed transmission would achieve fuel economy not normally associated with the Magnum. Trouble is, it would require computer and wiring harness changes. So, the question here, is there a junction to make such a wiring harness change feasible, where the body control for the wagon stuff would work without being replaced but would still interface to the newer sedan engine control and transmission control stuff? Or would it just make more sense to get the entire wiring harness out of a sedan and figure out what's different about the wagon and adapt as needed?

Obviously bolting the engine and transmission in would require some work, but I suspect that mostly-factory parts could make it happen, even if one had to do some moderate modifications to accommodate later crossmembers or other changes.

Any thoughts? I'll probably never actually do this, but the idea is intriguing to me.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
I see no way to get around this easily electronically. You would have to rewire the whole car to late model electronics to make it work because even the instrument panel has an embedded computer and the engine and transmission computers will expect to see that node of the computer system as well.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I take it that a lot did change in the refresh in the electronics department then...

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Even within generations, there is not much electronic interchangeability. 2005 electronics are unique, 2006-2007 may be similar then they changed again in 2008.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, when, after 2008, did they change? I ask because that was the last model year of the Magnum and I assume that it also got whatever changes went into the other LXes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts