Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FEWER BRANDS AND FEWER MODELS

Fewer Brands and Fewer Models, the future of Stellantis brands.

According to a new report from Automotive News Europe, production and manufacturing are being discussed and the article claims that "fewer brands" and "fewer models" are ahead. They don't give a definite source. They also state that China sales will be cut back.

Jeep is currently the only brand offered in China and sales were down 36 percent last year. As people have been saying for years, maybe FCA should have been focusing on it's bread and butter brands in North America...

PSA CEO Carlos Tavares reportedly likened the effort to a fresh start in China, with PSA CFO Philippe de Rovira stating it wouldn't be reasonable to continue with so many brands and platforms under the Stellantis umbrella. So who will be cut?

Expectedly, the creation of common platforms for all automakers will certainly be a significant cost-cutting measure. Also the talk of fewer brands brings up worrying thoughts about beloved brands like Chrysler, Dodge, etc. In Europe people may fear for Lancia.

What will the coming years present to our favorite brands? It seems both worrying and exciting.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Chrysler will be the first to go, then Dodge. However, the most amazing car company to ever exist will remain, Fiat. This year cannot get any worse.
Lancia and DS would be top of the list IMO.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
They didnt really state that brands will die, they said just the line up will shrink. That means current Chinese partner operations. They mentioned some time ago that PSA City Cars will be cut that probably means the 500 e platform will be everything A/B Segment. C/D Segment Sedan platform/Architectures would switch to PSA. while The mopar brands will keep the RWD platforms.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Supposedly a new Grand Cherokee will be revealed MAYBE on November 17, 2020? So Jeep is still full sails ahead.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It may have been specific to China, but it's not too much of a stretch to include other brands in other regions.
That doesn't mean we should continue to catastrophize Chrysler and/or Dodge into oblivion based on something that was specific to a region.

Reactions: David S

·
10,443 Posts
Car and Driver lists the chances of these brands disappearing from the US market in the next 3 years:

Chrysler...........2:1 —or a 50% probability
Fiat...................3:1 —or a 33% probability
Infiniti..............3:1
Mitsubishi.......4:1 —a 25% probability
McLaren..........6:1
Aston Martin...7:1
Mini................12:1
Jaguar.............20:1

There’s no information on how they came up with these probabilities.

·
Administrator
35,756 Posts
Seems reasonable. Mitsubishi kept remaking itself but they may be preserved by their new masters. McLaren and Aston Martin really don't affect many people. Infiniti has long been a waste of time, unless they're somehow making money on it. Mini would surprise me, BMW doesn't sell a lot of electrics and they need a way to avoid CAFE, and they have a long term view; Mini is the only holder US small premium car unless you count Alfa Romeo, which is not small.

I would think Fiat would be more likely to leave than Chrysler, hard to say. Neither is highly regarded by the general population. Fiat's remaining in the US is more likely to avoid CAFE issues and Tesla payments than anything else. That's why I'd assume the 124 would be first to go - worst mileage by far.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Seems reasonable. Mitsubishi kept remaking itself but they may be preserved by their new masters. McLaren and Aston Martin really don't affect many people. Infiniti has long been a waste of time, unless they're somehow making money on it. Mini would surprise me, BMW doesn't sell a lot of electrics and they need a way to avoid CAFE, and they have a long term view; Mini is the only holder US small premium car unless you count Alfa Romeo, which is not small.

I would think Fiat would be more likely to leave than Chrysler, hard to say. Neither is highly regarded by the general population. Fiat's remaining in the US is more likely to avoid CAFE issues and Tesla payments than anything else. That's why I'd assume the 124 would be first to go - worst mileage by far.
I don't think it's that hard to say. Even with only 2 platforms in Chrysler. The only reason Fiat outlasts Chrysler in NAFTA is corporate cluelessness.

Does Fiat even sell enough in the US to have any effect on FCA (& by derivation Stellantis) CAFE numbers?

·
10,443 Posts
Auto News reports today that Nissan will be selling its stake on Mitsubishi.

Well, that didn’t last long.

NNA forced 90% of the Mitsubishi staff in California out, relocated MMNA offices to Nashville, and now going to dump them like a hot potato.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Auto News reports today that Nissan will be selling its stake on Mitsubishi.

Well, that didn’t last long.

NNA forced 90% of the Mitsubishi staff in California out, relocated MMNA offices to Nashville, and now going to dump them like a hot potato.
Autoblog also mentionned it. Nissan could sell its 34% stake in Mitsubishi Looks like Nissan urgently need some new cash. The Day After Ghosn look bleaky and cloudy at Nissan...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Autoblog also mentionned it. Nissan could sell its 34% stake in Mitsubishi Looks like Nissan urgently need some new cash. The Day After Ghosn look bleaky and cloudy at Nissan...
I guess I'm a little surprised at this development. Presumably, Nissan reviewed a number of different ways to raise some quick cash...and this is probably one of the less painful ones.

Hmmm......I wonder how you say "MITSUBISHI" in Mandarin Chinese? ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Can't blame them, they really can't afford to rebuild two brands at the moment and Mitsubishi has been a loser for a long time. Use to work for a dealer group, all other stores would be filled with customers, upbeat atmosphere, busy sales people etc. I'd go into the Mitsu stores and they were ghost towns, zero morale, old product, revolving door of employees, bottom of the sales charts etc. It was depressing!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts