Allpar Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,423 Posts
Then put a loved one on a respirator run solely on solar. You will learn what is "reliability".

But lets go with your definition. Solar panels get dirty or covered in snow and then do not produce the expected output.

So, if you do not know how much electricity you will get on a particular day, how reliable is that system?

The same with wind. Nobody knows how long the wind will last and how much electricity will be generated. That is a lack of reliability.

You cannot rely on wind/solar to deliver X electricity. It is a crapshoot each day based on factors out of your control.

That is why they are unreliable.
I never said that anything runs solely on solar, so please don't invent both sides of the conversation, or I'll just drop out and let you converse with yourself and create a fantasy of my replies. I explicitly stated that there are many backup methods for renewables, which you ignored.
And I'll say again, you don't know what the word reliability means.
Over time, the energy output is observed and proven in the field, and known and expected, vs the calculated output. And that is all factored in.
Solar panels are typically mounted at enough of an angle in climates with snow, that the snow will slide off. If that wasn't done, it's not a fault of the technology, it's a fault of the the installer. Just as a natural gas or coal powered turbine seizing because the blades were not machined and installed correctly, is not a flaw of the technology itself.
You cannot rely on wind/solar to deliver X electricity.
And yet, that's exactly what utilities DO. They don't invest on a gamble. And with renewables now producing as much electricity as nuclear in the US, it's clear that utilities have confidence in using these technologies.

Cling to whale oil lighting if you wish. But technology marches on.

·
Super Moderator
32,423 Posts
So, when the doctor wakes up and finds his car's battery is depleted, he cannot go to work and save lives. Great system!
So, with the same logic, if his ICE car breaks down (which is statistically more likely), he cannot go to work and save lives? He has no choice but to stay home? Is that what you are saying?

·
370,000 miles
1,373 Posts
So, when the doctor wakes up and finds his car's battery is depleted, he cannot go to work and save lives. Great system!
That's what I thought of right away. The free parking if you allow the power company to use the charge in your batteries is a good idea, but not for pure EV (in my opinion). That could leave you without enough charge to make it to work. This sounds like a great incentive-based system for PHEVs, though.

·
Jeepaholic
5,939 Posts
Hitting bees with a shovel might not have been the best strategy.
Funny thing is when we had different bushes around the house, which the town ordered us to remove ("interferes with sight lines"), we would walk through clouds of bees every day as they happily harvested.
Admittedly, the shovel swinging was rather ineffectual. But as they say…you go to war with the weapons you have, not the ones you wish you have…or something like that.

Ordinarily, I have a live and let live outlook for the wildlife outside of my house…even some of the critters I find inside that the cats didn’t carve up. We have an assortment of bees, wasps, hornets, ants, frogs, snakes, snapping turtles, etc. But when I get stung, it’s on like Donkey Kong. lol. Yeah, my neighbors probably think I’m a lunatic.

As to making pollinator habitats around solar panels, I think it’s a good idea. Any time you add back vegetation, it’s a good thing, considering how much we’ve removed from the world.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I never said that anything runs solely on solar, so please don't invent both sides of the conversation, or I'll just drop out and let you converse with yourself and create a fantasy of my replies. I explicitly stated that there are many backup methods for renewables, which you ignored.
And I'll say again, you don't know what the word reliability means.
Over time, the energy output is observed and proven in the field, and known and expected, vs the calculated output. And that is all factored in.
Solar panels are typically mounted at enough of an angle in climates with snow, that the snow will slide off. If that wasn't done, it's not a fault of the technology, it's a fault of the the installer. Just as a natural gas or coal powered turbine seizing because the blades were not machined and installed correctly, is not a flaw of the technology itself.
You cannot rely on wind/solar to deliver X electricity.
And yet, that's exactly what utilities DO. They don't invest on a gamble. And with renewables now producing as much electricity as nuclear in the US, it's clear that utilities have confidence in using these technologies.

Cling to whale oil lighting if you wish. But technology marches on.
Hospitals have generators for patients, just as many folks in rural areas do for their freezers. The power company isn't the gold standard for reliability. Fossil fuels are the fallback, they aren't going away anytime soon.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts