Allpar Forums banner

1681 - 1690 of 1690 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Deduction. 2016/17 was when Sergio publicly began courting literally anyone who would listen trying to broker a merger. That's also when FCA suddenly began streamlining their product portfolio. Anything low margin was dropped. Planned replacements for aging models quietly were shelved. 'Legacy' platform models have been extended to maximize profit without committing resources to new models outside of the high margin global product lines (Jeep and Ram).

Why else would you hold back on committing to new product on low margin brands that are also specific to North American markets unless you were courting a merger? The reason being you want FCA in a position of strength without having resources tied up for the next several years in product. ALSO you can't afford to have any product flops while trying to win over another automaker. PLUS if a merger is successful you gain access to their platform/parts/product lines and it might be way cheaper to simply ship their product to the existing FCA dealer network.
Perhaps I misunderstood, as everything you just said rings true, for the most part. Going back and rereading your post, it was probably my knee-jerk reaction to so many claims that Dodge, or moreso Chrysler are dead brands walking. Not to mention I've been sick since Tue. Literally was 104.5 F temp.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Thank God no del with Renault
Looking at it now, I can't agree more, at least as far as the baggage that came with it, and Tavares is the guy you want, especially if you're a MOPAR fan.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Perhaps I misunderstood, as everything you just said rings true, for the most part. Going back and rereading your post, it was probably my knee-jerk reaction to so many claims that Dodge, or moreso Chrysler are dead brands walking. Not to mention I've been sick since Tue. Literally was 104.5 F temp.

Ouch. That's funky, to be sure.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
Mitsubishi has always seem happy playing a subservient role: first to Chrysler, then to its keiretsu cohorts at Mitsubishi-Tokyo Bank, now to Nissan.

The decision to relocate MMNA from California into Nissan’s N.A. HQ in Nashville was likely Nissan’s, not Mitsubishi’s. And the resulting shedding of 2/3 of MMNA’s staff will likely be slowly re-filled with Nissan staffers.

Mitsubishi still holds relative strength in its home market of Japan, throughout Australasia and Russia. But at this rate, Mitsubishi will become little else than an in-house brand of Nissan’s. In ten years from now, Nissan will have little use for Mitsubishi, particularly in the Americas.

1681 - 1690 of 1690 Posts