Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,224 Posts
Lancia is the poster-child for how Sergio's leadership cares little for BRANDS. They had a chance to take a great brand that was absolutley tarnished and breathe new life into it. They did very little to help Lanica return to its roots.

I am afraid we will not see this brand for many more years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
I have a friend from the Netherlands that is not happy about Chrysler moving to Lancia. He feels they have increased the price without getting any more. He is a Voyager fan, but said he will not get another and pay more since it is branded as a Lancia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Lancia is the poster-child for how Sergio's leadership cares little for BRANDS. They had a chance to take a great brand that was absolutley tarnished and breathe new life into it. They did very little to help Lanica return to its roots.

I am afraid we will not see this brand for many more years.
I am a Lancista and my dad drove Lancias all his life, but money to invest in new models was/is limited and Marchionne had to choose between Lancia and AlfaRomeo. I think he made the right choice. At least he has not killed the Lancia name (yet) and there is always hope for new life for the Brand, if and when the economy gets better...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,224 Posts
tryphon said:
I am a Lancista and my dad drove Lancias all his life, but money to invest in new models was/is limited and Marchionne had to choose between Lancia and AlfaRomeo. I think he made the right choice. At least he has not killed the Lancia name (yet) and there is always hope for new life for the Brand, if and when the economy gets better...
True, however, with flex manufacturing gained from the acquisition of Chrysler, they could already provide a more unique Lancia appearance at little cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Dan Minick said:
Confimation of Ypsilon as the only continuing Lancia, all others are reworked Chryslers, IF it continues to be economically feasible.
Product confirmations at Melfi, Gruglis. Cassino & Mirafiori to be announced later.
So this and the announcement 2 weeks ago that Chrysler no longer had the 100, means the Delta replacement is dead, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
Lancia is the poster-child for how Sergio's leadership cares little for BRANDS. They had a chance to take a great brand that was absolutley tarnished and breathe new life into it. They did very little to help Lanica return to its roots.

I am afraid we will not see this brand for many more years.[/quote
Lancia is the poster-child for how Sergio's leadership cares little for BRANDS. They had a chance to take a great brand that was absolutley tarnished and breathe new life into it. They did very little to help Lanica return to its roots.

I am afraid we will not see this brand for many more years.
Lets look at it logically for a second. When you look at the brands that the Fiat side of the buisness has then look at thier importance to the company relative to a globally based auto market then you very quickly realize that Lancia is the lowest on the totem pole. Now if the other brands were completely fleshed out and running well then I would agree that a proper Lancia overhaul would be more pheasable. But unfortunately that is not the case. Alfa Romeo is an absolute must as an investment that needs to be made and Maserati also is a must. These two brands have the highest chances of yielding an ROI on any money invested in them. A distinct possibility is to that between the money invested in overhauling both Alfa and Maserati plus Fiat brand itself and the need to buy Veba out that there just isnt enough energy left in the system for Lancia "at this time" hence the need for rebadged chryslers. Lets keep a sharp eye out by 2018 or so and see what happens once the current plan is in full swing im betting Lancia will then get its overhaul or phased out(IMHO exactly what they need to do)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,474 Posts
Red-JK said:
I have a friend from the Netherlands that is not happy about Chrysler moving to Lancia. He feels they have increased the price without getting any more. He is a Voyager fan, but said he will not get another and pay more since it is branded as a Lancia.
It an unfair comparison, the Lancia Voyager is sold only as a completely decked out model with all the possible goodies you can think of. It would be like comparing an entry level 300 with the luxury series.

DaveAdmin said:
Eventually. Not for the sales they're getting now. They will have a new shared look soon which will help.

I don't think the prices went up in an absolute sense, I think they stopped selling lower-trim models.
Yep, precisely.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,474 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Lancia is the poster-child for how Sergio's leadership cares little for BRANDS. They had a chance to take a great brand that was absolutley tarnished and breathe new life into it. They did very little to help Lanica return to its roots.

I am afraid we will not see this brand for many more years.
Agreed across the board. All I can think of is Winterkorn's comment in Geneva (IIRC) when Olivier was presenting the Voyager and Thema: "I can only be happy when other manufacturers make such blatant mistakes", referring to what they were doing with Lancia. Guess who was right...

I dislike VAG for a number or reasons, but one thing they do understand much better than most everyone else is how to manage brands. That's also the reason why they don't have this phobia of selling same-segment vehicles one next to each other, because each brand has a clearly defined target audience and mission (ok, they typically have separate showroom but very often they are attached to each other and sometimes there's no partition between the two). They have no problem selling three almost identical SEAT-VW-SKODA and one derivative AUDI because each band has a clear meaning and a different target.

I other words, IMO FIAT-Chrysler wouldn't have a Voyager/Caravan issue if they were managing the group brands better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,224 Posts
RVC said:
Agreed across the board. All I can think of is Winterkorn's comment in Geneva (IIRC) when Olivier was presenting the Voyager and Thema: "I can only be happy when other manufacturers make such blatant mistakes", referring to what they were doing with Lancia. Guess who was right...

I dislike VAG for a number or reasons, but one thing they do understand much better than most everyone else is how to manage brands. That's also the reason why they don't have this phobia of selling same-segment vehicles one next to each other, because each brand has a clearly defined target audience and mission (ok, they typically have separate showroom but very often they are attached to each other and sometimes there's no partition between the two). They have no problem selling three almost identical SEAT-VW-SKODA and one derivative AUDI because each band has a clear meaning and a different target.

I other words, IMO FIAT-Chrysler wouldn't have a Voyager/Caravan issue if they were managing the group brands better.
First, VW promotes engineers and "car guys" to run the company. Each one of those men have carefully guided VW and Audi more upscale while simultaneously fixing SEAT and Skoda. Engineering, enthusiasm and BRAND management!

Your last line deserves this ---- SPOT ON, RVC!!!!
 

·
Vaguely badass...
Joined
·
43,889 Posts
RVC said:
Agreed across the board. All I can think of is Winterkorn's comment in Geneva (IIRC) when Olivier was presenting the Voyager and Thema: "I can only be happy when other manufacturers make such blatant mistakes", referring to what they were doing with Lancia. Guess who was right...

I dislike VAG for a number or reasons, but one thing they do understand much better than most everyone else is how to manage brands. That's also the reason why they don't have this phobia of selling same-segment vehicles one next to each other, because each brand has a clearly defined target audience and mission (ok, they typically have separate showroom but very often they are attached to each other and sometimes there's no partition between the two). They have no problem selling three almost identical SEAT-VW-SKODA and one derivative AUDI because each band has a clear meaning and a different target.

I other words, IMO FIAT-Chrysler wouldn't have a Voyager/Caravan issue if they were managing the group brands better.
It makes me wonder why VW didn't offer to buy Lancia from Fiat instead of (or in addition to) Alfa Romeo then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
It makes me wonder why VW didn't offer to buy Lancia from Fiat instead of (or in addition to) Alfa Romeo then.
IMHO there just isnt enough brand equity there to justify not only the purchase price but also the cost involved in remaking Lancia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Fiat's been running the show for how long? So far we've seen, what, one car from them? I'm not so ready to pile on the bandwagon. In fact, I think think they may be onto something with having so many niche brands but no clear volume leader. Along with flex manufacturing, it may produce cars that enthusiasts have been claiming they are lining up to buy but the manufacturers have said would not make money. Almost everything Chrysler has for sale is leftover from Daimler or came about under Cerberus. FIat hasn't even gotten its feet wet. How can you fix brand positioning when you're in the middle of a car's lifecycle? It would be a silly waste of money.

VAG gets a lot of press but I'm not buying the image of them being great stewards for their brands. In fact, I'll counter that their brands don't really have any identity other than being desirable to a more monied specific demographic purchasing them. Unless you consider Quatro and Fahrvergnugen still relevant. Fiat/Chrysler brands, even muddied as they are, have a lot clearer identity than VAG's stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
CarsandGuitars said:
Fiat's been running the show for how long? So far we've seen, what, one car from them? I'm not so ready to pile on the bandwagon. In fact, I think think they may be onto something with having so many niche brands but no clear volume leader. Along with flex manufacturing, it may produce cars that enthusiasts have been claiming they are lining up to buy but the manufacturers have said would not make money. Almost everything Chrysler has for sale is leftover from Daimler or came about under Cerberus. FIat hasn't even gotten its feet wet. How can you fix brand positioning when you're in the middle of a car's lifecycle? It would be a silly waste of money.

VAG gets a lot of press but I'm not buying the image of them being great stewards for their brands. In fact, I'll counter that their brands don't really have any identity other than being desirable to a more monied specific demographic purchasing them. Unless you consider Quatro and Fahrvergnugen still relevant. Fiat/Chrysler brands, even muddied as they are, have a lot clearer identity than VAG's stuff.
Agreed we need to give them time none of this happens overnite. Remember when Chrysler entered the fold in 2009 it hit the big reset button on Fiats plans. A good test will be seeing how they handle Alfa's remake. Sergio has been very bullish on getting it right before the relaunch and if the execution is good then its worth the wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
CarsandGuitars said:
VAG gets a lot of press but I'm not buying the image of them being great stewards for their brands. In fact, I'll counter that their brands don't really have any identity other than being desirable to a more monied specific demographic purchasing them.
I'd say Skoda doesn't really have much of a brand identity at all, and I think the main reason why Skodas started selling after VW took over is because buyers realized that they could get a Volkswagen for less money if the car had a Skoda badge. That's pretty much Skodas raison d'être these days. Styling-wise, Skodas look like they could just as well have worn the VW badge (just have a look at the new Octavia, which has so many VW styling cues it could have been a VW Jetta), and some of its cars are in fact rebadged versions of other VW group cars (Citigo, Rapid, the previous generation Superb).

For some reason, VW hasn't been able to pull off the same trick with SEAT, although it seems to have realized that just like with Skoda, the VW connection is the selling point, as the last time I saw a SEAT ad on TV, the fact that the brand was a member of the VW Group was clearly highlighted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
Lampredi said:
I'd say Skoda doesn't really have much of a brand identity at all, and I think the main reason why Skodas started selling after VW took over is because buyers realized that they could get a Volkswagen for less money if the car had a Skoda badge. That's pretty much Skodas raison d'être these days. Styling-wise, Skodas look like they could just as well have worn the VW badge (just have a look at the new Octavia, which has so many VW styling cues it could have been a VW Jetta), and some of its cars are in fact rebadged versions of other VW group cars (Citigo, Rapid, the previous generation Superb).

For some reason, VW hasn't been able to pull off the same trick with SEAT, although it seems to have realized that just like with Skoda, the VW connection is the selling point, as the last time I saw a SEAT ad on TV, the fact that the brand was a member of the VW Group was clearly highlighted.
Im not sure the Skoda Yeti is a good crossover!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top