Allpar Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Don't call me an idiot, jack***.

You people are being deliberately ignorant to protect what you think matters.

Let's look at Renegade and Tipo NCAP. In the same 2014/2016 generation they had different ratings by a full star. Duh, that's just me being big stoopid American.
Well aren't we a bit defensive? Why are you taking that so personal?

That fact that I can come here a full year later and people can be having that same arguments and learned absolutely nothing. And have still not comprehended that sea change in the industry is astounding. And one could go back 3 years and see the very same thing being discussed

So here you are claiming people called you a "IDIOT" which no one has done. Failing to comprehend new concepts and accelerated changes within a industry doesn't make anyone a idiot. That ones experience and knowledge base is outdated doesn't either. Your free to call me anytime and we can discuss it. But no one said your a "Idiot"

Maybe calling people ignorant you know personally are not is a bit comical but doesn't even rise to idiot standard.

Letting every American poster who actually knew something and understood be run off by poor moderation doesn't help the cause.... and example you gave doesn't help the either.

See you in a year.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
You must look at ADAS score. But Tipo also had not so good head restraints for rear seat passenger and seat belts are not the best.

Let's see how MCA model performs. I'm pretty much sure that we'll see it on EuroNCAP and I'm hoping that they will also test version will all available ADAS.
Really, I was surprised at how well it did. Though the American tests are of course different, I am no longer so pessimistic about the safety.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
In general, impact tests are converging, which is actually what the car industry wants, but this change isn't happening at the regulatory level. IIHS and Euro-NCAP already test cars to beyond the requirements of FMVSS and UNECE, respectively, which makes those consumer tests the de-facto regulations, regardless of what the governmental agencies say.

Euro-NCAP results give, in my opinion, undue weight to electronic driving aids, which can mislead buyers: 500x and Tipo score differently because of the different standard and optional assistance technology, despite them offering pretty-much the same impact safety. That is part of the reason why this new Tipo comes with driver assistance technology that you wouldn't expect from such a low-priced model.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
On Hyundai, they certainly aren't rugged. A few years, the Irish Police bought a fleet of midsize Hyundai wagons for use as patrol cars (not pursuit, just regular policing), and I believe that about twenty went back to have subframe re-inforcement (at Hyundai's expense) in the first year. Again, these weren't pursuit cars, just regular "cops need to get somewhere" cars... the force had used various generations of the Ford Mondeo (Fusion) before for this kind of duty for decades with no need for rework.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
On Hyundai, they certainly aren't rugged. A few years, the Irish Police bought a fleet of midsize Hyundai wagons for use as patrol cars (not pursuit, just regular policing), and I believe that about twenty went back to have subframe re-inforcement (at Hyundai's expense) in the first year. Again, these weren't pursuit cars, just regular "cops need to get somewhere" cars... the force had used various generations of the Ford Mondeo (Fusion) before for this kind of duty for decades with no need for rework.
Given that the NYPD are (or were, under Bloomberg) using a variety of ordinary hybrid cars, that's pretty sad. NYC duty is rough on a car but the hybrids seemed to do well. Regenerative braking comes in very handy when sometimes it takes two hours to travel three blocks! (This happened to me and the gas mileage of my 1.4T Dart dropped into the teens... even with the engine off from time to time.) Police cars were reportedly getting single digit mileage before the hybrids. Since the NYPD used to use cars like slant-six Diplomats, a hybrid Camry wasn't really a drawback in catching crooks.

The main reason they went to Mopars, back in the 60s or 70s, was the famed chase portrayed in The French Connection, where a detective's Mopar stayed together while the crook's car disintegrated — the (Ford?) police cars were left behind as wreckage and junk as well. The city switched over. But that was a long time ago. Radio seems to work better these days! And the police have more tricks, including, if I'm not mistaken, and I could very well be, control over the traffic lights.

I was just looking at the NHTSA ratings, though. I was looking at the Hyundai compact cars with manual transmissions; the pricing is great. The stick is insanely stiff, though; visibility isn't great; the cars look like they'd attract lots of gratuitous tickets; and while the powertrain is great, the package is less so. Two-star safety ratings made me think again. (Wasn't an issue a few years ago, now it is.)

41 - 46 of 46 Posts