Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't normally make it a policy of providing links to Truth About Cars, (because it's "Banana Head Autonews") but Jack Baruth wrote a very nice review of the 2011+ Dodge Avenger... A review of the 4-banger no less!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/04/review-2013-dodge-avenger-se/

We here all know the Avenger is the car that spineless auto-journos like to drag out and bash when they are in a bad mood or have low blood sugar, and most of the things they write about it are untrue. Must be that herd mentality that they have...

Anyway, Jack called it like it is. Finally, someone had the courage to do so - without apology.

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Thanks for the link. I am also driving/owning one of those cars that the press deems "horrible": a 2009 Journey SE. It will be 5 years old in November and has about 51k miles on it. No issues at all other than the premature brake pad wear but Chrysler reimbursed us for that. Most of the time I drive it myself or once in a while with my wife or visitors. So the 4 cylinder is just fine for everyday commuting and the occasional Costco runs. I don't know what the press is always complaining about or maybe I lost all my sense but to me the transmission is shifting smoothly. I noticed that after a few thousand miles the engine became more lively. The stereo has a six disc changer and I am quite pleased with its sound. Sure, the 2011+ are nicer inside but this Journey does its jobs fine plus has the lifetime powertrain warranty. We plan to keep it for a while. The ride is very good!

On another note, I just rented a brand new Town&Country with 500 miles on it. I was very impressed! I also rented one three years ago with 30k miles on it. This time around I was pleased to see how much the interior updates make a difference. And I have become a huge fan of the Pentastar. What a great engine! Always smooth and powerful. I was also very impressed with the 200 with the Pentastar that I rented last summer. I don't believe anything the auto press is writing anymore because I have found all these cars to be great! They can keep their Camrys and Passats...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Shout it from the rooftops.
I bought a new 2011 Heat and have accumulated over 45K miles in less than the two years I have had this car.
It is just a great car and it validates the new quality Dodge has been working towards.
I travel around 100 miles per day commute and get about 31-33 MPG.
No problems,no squeaks,no rattles and all for less than 18K !!

As much as I want a new car(Dart) I just can't justify it...yet.
I love my Avenger and it has been overlooked as one great car for the money.
Thanks Sergio and team.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I still think the Avenger should have gotten the Dart name. It looks like a 1967-1976 dart than the new one.
But like they said during naming, the new 2013 dart, is pointy so it's a dart.
But the mid 90's avenger has more in common to the new dart in body shape.
I liked that mid 90's avenger. If only that had something like the 3.6L or 2.4L turbo 280hp in that car with a manual transmission for SCCA.
Too bad the current avenger isn't offered with a 2.4L 280hp manual transmission SRT. Would we have seen them in SCCA?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I love mine (although its far from base) and he is right a better set of tires makes this car fun on curvy back country roads. I have no complaints about my seats, stereo, interior panels, power,or size. I don't care for the breaks [I've had to dive off the road to avoid smashing our van with it nearly overloaded and sheets and blankets filling my trunk and backseat] but EBC will be correcting that when the time comes. All in all I think the Avenger is the best bang for the buck out there followed closely by the 200
Mick

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
If the current 200/Avenger had the "new technology" in them I'd buy them. They are great after the refresh. I especially like the 200 S

I actually almost bought a 2010 Avenger too.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Chrysler got an early mistake on the Avenger, the exterior design and low quality of the interior materials in the very first one.
Many said the exterior design had no smooth lines, and being honest, the interior was terrible, fit finish and materials were among the worst in the Industry.
It was hard for Chrysler to change the bad impression and bad opinions the consumer had of the car, no matter that they improved it a lot, it was very late.
Of course the car is a steal, its a terrific car for the money, I doubt we will ever have such a deal from Chrysler.
Anybody looking for a new car in this size should not even hesitate to buy one, in my opinion the 6 is the best buy.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Love how the one guy never saw one but it had to be junk. LOL. My 2012 Journey already has 23K and is fantastic in every way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
PCRMike said:
Love how the one guy never saw one but it had to be junk. LOL. My 2012 Journey already has 23K and is fantastic in every way.
My 2008 Sebring Touring just turned over 41,000 miles with no repairs required, is a big favorite of my wife & sons for its maneuverability and good sight lines. BTW, the seats can feel terrible when you first get in (seem hard) but actually are just fine.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
We have a bright red 2012 Mainstreet V-6 auto and just love the thing. No problems at all....KUDOS to Chrysler and to all you folks at SHAP !!!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
PCRMike said:
Over 51k on our 2009. No issues at all so far. Knock on wood....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love my Avenger!!! It is black with deep tinted windows. It is really mean looking. I still get looks and complements all the time. I had one of the first ones around, now they are everywhere and I like seeing them around. I have not regrets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts