Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First half-of-2019 Canada sales look a lot like US sales normally do in a downturn, with FCA shrinking faster than the market, and the Asian automakers grabbing market share.
  • Ford is holding on.
  • Honda continues to look weak.
  • Germans are also contracting fast.
  • Alfa Romeo sales are down 57.6%

In the first six months of this year, these are the sales changes relative to the same period last year:

FCA -12.7%
GM -14.2%
Ford -0.9%
Toyota +3.7%
Honda -3.8%
Hyundai +6.2%
Kia +3.8%
Nissan -6.4%
Mazda -15.8%
VW -7% —including Audi -20%
Subaru -1.7%
Mitsubishi +2.9%
Daimler -17.6%
BMW-7.5%

Full article here: Canada June sales down 9.5% as losing streak hits 16 months

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The drop at Honda, I guess Acura might play a role in this. But Mazda......they're so popular in Canada! Did cutting their ties to Ford to be in bed with Toyota had something to do with it?

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The drop at Honda, I guess Acura might play a role in this. But Mazda......they're so popular in Canada! Did cutting their ties to Ford to be in bed with Toyota had something to do with it?
With some exceptions, it appears premium priced brands are taking a bigger hit: Mazda and Honda are down, and most luxury brands are down double digits.

Budget brands are up: the Koreans, Mitsubishi, but for some reason Toyota as well.

Perhaps Toyota and Honda were to be flat, but Toyota is traditionally more aggressive with the discounts, and gained at the expense of Honda.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
With some exceptions, it appears premium priced brands are taking a bigger hit: Mazda and Honda are down, and most luxury brands are down double digits.

Budget brands are up: the Koreans, Mitsubishi, but for some reason Toyota as well.

Perhaps Toyota and Honda were to be flat, but Toyota is traditionally more aggressive with the discounts, and gained at the expense of Honda.
I know I've been seeing a lot of Toyota's annual "Red Tag Days" ads lately, so they're definitely doing a sales push recently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts