Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I rolled over 9,000 miles on the 200 yesterday, so took it back to the dealership for a free oil change and to have the tires rotated and balanced and asked them to check the front right side brakes because of an occasional squealing. They did the services and the tech told me the brake squeal was a deflated balloon with the string still attached to it. I have no idea where the balloon came from! I just wonder if it was from the car lot when I got the car. Oh, well, it's fixed now, so that's what matters. I paid $24.00 plus tax for the rotate and balance. They put a sticker in my windshield THINKING I'm going to come in for another oil change in 3,000 miles. I don't think so. I'm going by the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and they MIGHT see me in 7,500 miles. I may stretch it to another 9,000 as the manual says every 10,000 miles or once per year, which ever comes first.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Interesting about the balloon!

I have yet to Change the oil in my 200, only 3800 miles.

I am going to get it done around 5000 miles, the reason being is all the miles are in city, almost no highway, so I just feel better doing a bit sooner than then recommendation.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
I just went in for my 3rd oil change on the Challenger. It was 6 months, but only 2300 miles. I think I still have one more free oil change.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Does the 200 have an oil monitor feature?
It has a reminder feature - text in the EVIC tells you to change the oil. It's based on an algorithm of driving style that predicts that the oil change is required. It can be reset using the ignition key and flooring the gas pedal. My wife had the oil changed at 1400 miles, then the warning came on at 3500 miles, I reset it, the oil was changed again at about 7000 miles and at 14,500 miles. Haven't seen the warning since the first time.

Warranty for the 2012 Chrysler 200 is every 8,000 miles. Did they push it out to 10,000 for 2013?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently they did change it, Bob. My light has never come on, but most of my driving is highway, not city. Maybe 5% city and then it's not but about 15 to 20 miles at a time. I requested the paper owners manual and it shows every 10,000 miles as the recommended intervals or once per year, which ever comes first. If the dealer thinks I'm coming in every 3,000 miles, they've got rocks in their heads.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Our dealer also puts that sticker on with 3K markings, and we ignore it.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say great minds think alike, Bob, but I'm not that intelligent. I use the "B" trip meter on the odometer to track my oil changes. I reset it when the oil gets changed and then I'll probably start changing it at 7,500 mile intervals. That way, I'm well within the warranty parameters if something happens to the engine. I peeled that little sticker off and put it in the trash can.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Same here Chuzz. I usually go a minimum of 5,000 miles between oil changes on the Journey. It's still under extended warranty coverage so I need to stay within the guidelines - no more than 6,000 miles between oil changes. On my Ram (4 years older) I can go as high as 7,500 miles. Today's oils are formulated to go for longer service intervals. I don't pay attention to what the dealer recommends. They are recommending 3K oil changes assuming everyone is driving under "severe duty' conditions all the time (or what use to be considered severe duty).

Funny how the newer owner's manuals don't differentiate between normal and severe duty.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck, Doug, I'm under the impression that dealerships think everyone they sell a vehicle to is a moron. Apparently, though, a lot of people don't ever open that owners manual or watch the dvd that you get nowadays. I've always tried to do as much of my own wrenching as I can and now that I'm on a fixed income, I really have to watch every penny.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
The dealer put a 4k oil change sticker on my car. That's better than 3k and not too far off from the first oil change light interval (4500 miles).

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I now have 9,300 miles on mine and the oil change reminder still hasn't gone off. :excited:

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
It has a reminder feature - text in the EVIC tells you to change the oil. It's based on an algorithm of driving style that predicts that the oil change is required. It can be reset using the ignition key and flooring the gas pedal. My wife had the oil changed at 1400 miles, then the warning came on at 3500 miles, I reset it, the oil was changed again at about 7000 miles and at 14,500 miles. Haven't seen the warning since the first time.

Warranty for the 2012 Chrysler 200 is every 8,000 miles. Did they push it out to 10,000 for 2013?
My 2013 shows 10k service intervals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts