Allpar Forums banner
221 - 240 of 249 Posts
So, do you have first hand knowledge of this? Or is this a friend of a friend of a friend kind of knowledge?
There were more than a handful of red nosed red necked full timers when I was a TPT at Windsor.

I also understand it, I don't think I could have done line work for more than a few months without needing to sedate my brain...

Speaking of the Wagoneer....

My wife's (junk) 2018 Cherokee that we bought brand new is awaiting yet another warranty repair. This will be the last, as it is coming up on the magic 60,000 mile odo reading and from here on out it'll be out of pocket. They have to replace the rear axle seal(s) this time.

So we've been on the list for a loaner vehicle at the dealership for several weeks now because they've got a lot of big jobs lined up. Every other week or so I'll call to get a status update regarding our place in line for a loaner/rental so we can bring our Jeep in for the repair.

When I called this week, they said they had two of their vehicles removed from the loaner program and they are waiting on replacements but have no ETA. I asked why their loaners were removed. They said it's because the Wagoneer is coming out, and the loaners they had (mostly Renegades, Wranglers, and Cherokees) were not suitable loaners any longer and the company wanted to replace them with more appropriate vehicles to put customers in while their vehicles are being repaired.

To me it sounds like with the release of Wagoneer, they're wanting to portray a different image. They're wanting to go upscale like some of the other brands perhaps?

Reactions: UN4GTBL
Speaking of the Wagoneer....

My wife's (junk) 2018 Cherokee that we bought brand new is awaiting yet another warranty repair. This will be the last, as it is coming up on the magic 60,000 mile odo reading and from here on out it'll be out of pocket. They have to replace the rear axle seal(s) this time.

So we've been on the list for a loaner vehicle at the dealership for several weeks now because they've got a lot of big jobs lined up. Every other week or so I'll call to get a status update regarding our place in line for a loaner/rental so we can bring our Jeep in for the repair.

When I called this week, they said they had two of their vehicles removed from the loaner program and they are waiting on replacements but have no ETA. I asked why their loaners were removed. They said it's because the Wagoneer is coming out, and the loaners they had (mostly Renegades, Wranglers, and Cherokees) were not suitable loaners any longer and the company wanted to replace them with more appropriate vehicles to put customers in while their vehicles are being repaired.

To me it sounds like with the release of Wagoneer, they're wanting to portray a different image. They're wanting to go upscale like some of the other brands perhaps?
I did hear on the FB group that they was given a Wagoneer as a loaner for a last Gen Grand Cherokee's and Wagoneers.

Could you provide more factual information on this post?

It seems as though many manufacturers rush their new vehicles to market with numerous software defects - and eventually issue numerous TSB’s and safety recalls to deal with them.

The customers become the vehicle beta testers, and after reporting problems to their dealers - eventually a repair is designed (often numerous repairs).

Thanks for the heads-up.

Speaking of Wagoneer's I had one pass me today on the highway on my way to work, first time I seen one in person, and boy that rear end is UGGGGLLLLYYY.

I have a Series II as a Rental right now, I do like the ride and features but the alignment in the panels is off in a few places and the UConnect is sketchy staying connected when in wireless (CarPlay). I would consider one in a year once the base bugs are worked out.

That makes sense. I wouldn't want to drop $80k+ on a vehicle and get a crappy Compass as a loaner.
I wouldn't want to drop $80,000 and need a loaner in the first 60,000 miles.

Are they disclosing that these vehicles are defective when new and informing customers they should expect to be waiting on their $80,000 Jeep needing repairs they can't perform right away? 🤣🤣🤣

I wouldn't want to drop $80,000 and need a loaner in the first 60,000 miles.
That really limits your choice of cars to... none.

Yes, the thing is (despite people who think somehow they could be perfect developers/testers) things are going to go wrong. It's how you treat people when things go wrong that will influence people's perception of your brand. When service writers are taught to respond "they all do that" or "it's just the way a Jeep is" you're not going to impress them.

Yes, the thing is (despite people who think somehow they could be perfect developers/testers) things are going to go wrong. It's how you treat people when things go wrong that will influence people's perception of your brand. When service writers are taught to respond "they all do that" or "it's just the way a Jeep is" you're not going to impress them.
TARP research...

You're trying to tell me every single passenger car made today at that price level is guaranteed to suffer a breakdown severe enough to require a loaner vehicle within it's first 100,000km?

Because none of my vehicles at any price ever suffered a breakdown so bad the vehicle could no longer be driven, even my LX.

You're trying to tell me every single passenger car made today at that price level is guaranteed to suffer a breakdown severe enough to require a loaner vehicle within it's first 100,000km?

Because none of my vehicles at any price ever suffered a breakdown so bad the vehicle could no longer be driven, even my LX.
Guaranteed? No. However, there is a good chance that any newly purchased vehicle will require a loaner, be it for warranty repair, or service work. For the JD Power 2022 Vehicle Dependability Study, measuring 3 years of ownership on 2019 models here is the average reported "problems" per 100 vehicles

"Owners of mass market vehicles experience fewer problems: Mass market brands average 190 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100)."

Link here: 2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

That means (again on average) you can expect your brand new vehicle to potentially have ~2 defects that need repaired. Supply chain remains a huge hold up too. Let's say it's the nav unit that is bad. Dealer tells you "come back in 3 weeks when the part is here and we will get it installed same day". Halfway through the fix they also notice some other associated part is bad, and maybe they can fast track the part in next business day. Well if it's Friday, your car is torn apart and undriveable, so now you need a loaner.

This is just the reality we live in, particularly now with supply chain shortages.

It's not just catastrophic failures that require a loaner, it's also some fixes take a lot of time and care to properly disassemble, repair, and reassemble. Especially the more advanced vehicles become.

Needing a loaner does not mean the vehicle was inoperable. Maybe the repair can’t be completed the first day so you’re given an overnight loaner to prevent having to make another trip back.
Maybe a repair is started and they find out there’s another part needed that can’t be gotten until tomorrow.
I’ve had both those happen to me and went home in a loaner. Much more efficient than having to get the car back, go home, and return the next day.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.