Allpar Forums banner

Fit and finish on wagoneers

35K views 248 replies 62 participants last post by  OfficialMopar 
#1 ·
Well here we go again!
The LIFT GATE on all units built are having a bad fit and finish, they all are misaligned the gaps are uneven and they simply don't match with tail lamps and other panels, shame on the managers, Shame in Stellantis "quality" .
The vehicle is new and very expensive, it should have the very best quality. We noticed that problem long ago, they just said as always they are going to fix it, but it never happened.
I'm Disappointed 😞☹

#13 ·
I've always wanted a Jeep. I looked at the Jeep web site after seeing an ad for the Grand Wagoneer. My first impression was shock at the price! I assumed that both the Grand Wagoneer as well as the Wagoneer would be out of my price range, but I wanted to look at them. I'm retired and although I have a fairly comfortable income, a vehicle that easily reaches over one hundred thousand dollars is not something I'll be buying.

Something else I found shocking was the fact that although the GW is all four wheel drive, the Wagoneer, which isn't all that much cheaper, is standard with only two wheel drive!

The Jeep brand should be four wheel drive from the bottom to the top! If Subaru can do it...., there is no reason Jeep cannot.

This thread about questionable quality control for vehicles at the top of the Jeep brand is also disturbing. At the published prices, ill-fitting body panels have no place on these vehicles.

My current vehicle, a 2013 T&C Touring-L has been pretty good. I only have about 57,000 miles on it, but the only real complaint I have is the corrosion around the sharp edges on the front of the aluminum hood. Every fifth generation T&C or GC over three or four years old around here has it. I tried and tried to get them to do something about it, but every time I tried, they just would 'close' the case without any action.

#15 ·
My 9 year old Fusion is holding up better than most of the 3-5 year old Chargers I've been looking at. It's a shame the MOPARS I want are built like total crap...

My car is nearly mint condition. I wonder if it's the young people buying them and not doing a single thing to maintain them.

#16 ·
yall are picky, I could care less about a very little cosmetic Alignment issue like that. ill be worried if it was a alignment issue that effected something that was actually Structural, like Slaming the Lifegate and its so misaligned that it breaks the tail lamps or Shutting a door and having it bang against the body structure causing paint/body imperfections.

#17 ·
I wouldn't care so much if it came off the line like that if it was addressed before it left the plant. It's obviously "close enough" so it ships. But then it becomes the dealer's problem to adjust (and most won't) until someone complains.
It's small stuff like this that can make or break an image. I don't care if it's a $100k Jeep or a $40k Challenger. Fix the assembly issue if you care about quality.

#25 ·
Every vehicle I have owned has some misalignments. My 2021 GMC Yukon has some slight misalignments on the tailgate, but it functions just fine.

My 2020 Ram's hood was poorly misaligned(I fixed it) and the driver door is really bad and sticks out at the top edge. I have asked the dealer about this and not much help and looking it over, there is not much I can do as there are no adjustments that can be made. The only solution is to heat the door frame bend it back into place.

That said, I would be very irritated with a 100k vehicle and misaligned panels.

#29 ·
It all starts at the top. Blaming some unionized assembly worker is ludicrous.

Anyone remember the fuss that Lido made over the '81-'83 Imperial? Those cars were perfect when the folks at Windsor built them.

In my own experiences, I had a '77 Fury which was surprisingly good, a '79 R body that was a hot mess of quality issues, and a decent '91 Dynosaur. I've had very good '81, '82, '85, '86, and '89 M-bodies. I've had a '94 and an '04 Crown Vic, 1 LX Charger, and 3 LD's.

None of my other vehicles were as good of quality that I had with any M body I've owned.

#31 ·
It all starts at the top. Blaming some unionized assembly worker is ludicrous.

Anyone remember the fuss that Lido made over the '81-'83 Imperial? Those cars were perfect when the folks at Windsor built them.

In my own experiences, I had a '77 Fury which was surprisingly good, a '79 R body that was a hot mess of quality issues, and a decent '91 Dynosaur. I've had very good '81, '82, '85, '86, and '89 M-bodies. I've had a '94 and an '04 Crown Vic, 1 LX Charger, and 3 LD's.

None of my other vehicles were as good of quality that I had with any M body I've owned.
My 70, 74 and 78 cars had water leaks. Everything after that has been no problems to speak of. I have never had a Chrysler product that failed an engine or transmission or a rear end or any major electronic gizmo, computer etc. I am on my 4th mini-van and they have all been bullet proof. Had 2 K-cars which were amazingly good.

#36 ·
Well here we go again!
The LIFT GATE on all units built are having a bad fit and finish, they all are misaligned the gaps are uneven and they simply don't match with tail lamps and other panels, shame on the managers, Shame in Stellantis "quality" .
The vehicle is new and very expensive, it should have the very best quality. We noticed that problem long ago, they just said as always they are going to fix it, but it never happened.
I'm Disappointed 😞☹
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive side marker light Grille

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

#42 · (Edited)
Norm talked about these things in "The Death of Jeep" thread. The Grand Cherokee took Jeep into a new segment of luxury and performance. Wrangler keeps increasing in price and amenities. But was Jeep ready for this?

Yes, it was more than 20 years ago that Jeep entered the premium segment. Every generation of Grand Cherokee (WJ, WK and WK2) took Jeep further upmarket in terms of both luxury and performance (SRT).

Remember, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT was the best selling SRT model.

But in those 20 years....under Chrysler, Daimler and Fiat, the company never addressed the fundamental issues.....quality, safety and reliability with superior customer service. At least Cerberus (22 months of ownership) tried with the Customer Advisory Board and the Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

Now, we see the latest FCA vehicle being given a priority for production, but no priority for quality.

We can only hope that Stellantis reacts to this and breaks the 20 year cycle of incompetence.

#43 ·
Well said Erik.

a couple of thoughts:
1. EVERYONE in the industry has raised their games on quality, but Stellantis brands haven’t kept pace. We’ll see if that changes.
2. perceived quality becomes MORE important as the price rises. Jeep knew this and it’s why they focused so much effort on the dealer experience prior to launch. They clearly should have looked closer to home too.
3. The Jeep brand HAS historically had the ability to flex into luxury territory. The original Grand Wagoneer is proof. BUT, the competition is much stiffer today than it was 30+ years ago in the luxury SUV segment. Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc all have entrants today. Only Land Rover did 30 years ago.

I’ve always wondered how much of a difference the Customer Advisory Board made. I was proud to be on it and really enjoyed the sessions with Ralph Gilles, Doug Betts, and Klause Busse, and we did see a lot of what was discussed addressed in new product launches and refreshes. Not sure how much Auburn Hills listens today.

#45 ·
Yes, great point!

The company made a big marketing splash about its testing to improve quality (which was nothing magical as most of the industry does the same already).

It shows that fluff and marketing are still more important than quality.

#51 ·
I think that all of the buyouts/mergers in the past 20 years hasn't helped either. With each, has come new leadership (or lack thereof :confused:), vision (???), and a path forward. This constant change of direction/plans affects a company's ability to come up with a consistent way to address quality control. Out of the CDJR group, the only member that has shown consistent improvement has been Ram. Stellantis needs to seriously focus it's efforts on taking best practices from Ram, and whatever other divisions have shown quality improvement, and assign a strong leader to use those in a Quality Control group that uses same practices across the corporation. I don't care if you are building horse & buggies or electric cars.

#54 ·
Ram had a ton of teething problems too, a ton of recalls, tone of parts not fitting correctly, part suppliers or parts getting changed on the fly. We have a early 19 ram and the hood is hard to close while our neighbor also has a 19 ram but built later and has a way easier time closing the hood with some changes to the hood latch. I don’t think anything from the cdjr us ever has a smooth launch either be it quality issues or always pushed back

#59 ·
I sent the picture to Christian Meunier and let him know it was getting social media attention.

#61 ·
If he does not react to the picture and the fact that its trending on social media, then he does not deserve the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.