Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 Dodge Dakota that my brother bought new in FL. 3.9L V-6, 4-speed auto with 4WD, club cab and cap. 242K miles on original drivetrain, runs like new. Body panels are in very good condition, only a little rust on the front fenders after 30 years. A/C works great, and I installed satellite radio that I'll be reclaiming.
Frame rust has killed this, it's irreparable at this point. Will drive up to 20 miles from 02718 to drop off, or else it's going to the junkyard. Selling all or none - no picking. I need it gone all as one, not piecemeal.

Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Wheel Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door

Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Car Gauge
Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$1,000. There's a lot to be salvaged off this. Southeastern MA.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Wow, that truck looks amazing after all of this time; especially the interior. What a shame the frame has rusted beyond repair. Best of luck.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
No way to replace the frame, Bob? That's a shame with the rest of it being in such good shape. Good luck with the sale.

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a chance. Not worth the effort to find a donor frame, none would be good enough. As I said, it's been patched and welded in 3 places already, and these rotted surfaces are on the inside of the frame, compound-curved surfaces that can't be repaired. Book value is $300.
I verified that I do have the Affiliates Reward program still, through my employer. That gives me a vehicle at 1% below invoice. So I'll save a lot of money on a new vehicle. It saved us $4,000 on my wife's 2012 Chrysler 200.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,271 Posts
No way to replace the frame, Bob? That's a shame with the rest of it being in such good shape. Good luck with the sale.
I agree with Bob. If the frame is that bad (won't pass inspection), the cost to replace is not worth the expense - assuming a suitable frame could even be found. It's a 30 year old truck. Boneyards around here don't keep anything older than 20 years.

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
You could fix this with a southern frame, or even an entire southern body to transplant the power train into. But that's not easy or cheap.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could fix this with a southern frame, or even an entire southern body to transplant the power train into. But that's not easy or cheap.
No, can't be done in this case. The fasteners to the body can't be undone. They are so crusty that you can't get a wrench on them, and they will just snap. There are too many other issues with the truck to make it viable. RF axle needs to be replaced, as well as radiator soon (very slow coolant loss), needs new brake lines, needs new fuel filler neck, and other parts. The transfer case is leaking. Oil pan and transmission pan are scaly and would fail soon; transmission pan is already damp from weepage. It's best to surrender it for parts to any of the few owners of that generation truck still around (and there aren't many).

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any takers? I have 2 weeks to move this truck. All great parts except the frame. Runs great. Bed cap included (6'6").

1 - 10 of 10 Posts