Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
74,000+ orders in 5 weeks for a small pickup that won't be available until sometime in 2022. I assume the orders for the small RAM pickup must be close to that, oh wait, I meant orders for the Fiat 500e for the European market. Nobody in North America would be interested in a small RAM pickup. (SARC).

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
696 Posts
Nobody in North America would be interested in a small RAM pickup. (SARC).
I love sarcasm, but let's be real here.
A Ram competitor to the Maverick won't have a lot of the "ecofriendly" vibes to it, nor will it actually be propelled by something worthwhile.
If we're learning anything from the Compass, they're gonna sell anything with that Multi-Air 2.4 until BEV becomes the only option, no matter how truly trash it is at everything it may or may not do.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I love sarcasm, but let's be real here.
A Ram competitor to the Maverick won't have a lot of the "ecofriendly" vibes to it, nor will it actually be propelled by something worthwhile.
If we're learning anything from the Compass, they're gonna sell anything with that Multi-Air 2.4 until BEV becomes the only option, no matter how truly trash it is at everything it may or may not do.
STLA small and STLA medium will be based on EMP1/CMP and EMP2. Don't expect any work to be done to fit the 2.4 in it, do expect work to be done to fit the 1.3T and 2.0T.

·
Registered
1999 Dakota, 2014 Grand Caravan
49 Posts
Would Love to put a order in for Maverick and like the fact it's Hybrid. We still have a Dakota, in family since it was new. Still put into use towing trailers. It a nice size easy to park!
I think Ford has a winner myself...

·
Jeepaholic
6,163 Posts
It’s got pretty good value, i priced a fully loaded Lariat and it’s reasonable. I don’t know if it’s necessarily something I’m interested in, but I’ll take a look-see when they hit the lots. It would be good on gas and be easy to park in the garage at work. I need to see one in person though. I still think I’m more inclined to get a Gladiator, Ranger, or Bronco when the time comes. It’s nice to have options…even if it’s not a Stellantis option….

·
Registered
91 Posts
There has always been a huge market for mini-trucks which hasn't been a real offering for some time unless you count the Ridgeline and Santa Fe.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There has always been a huge market for mini-trucks which hasn't been a real offering for some time unless you count the Ridgeline and Santa Fe.
Seriously how can you call the 78.6 in (1,996 mm) wide Ridgeline and 75.0 in (1,905 mm) wide Santa Cruz mini? The Santa Cruz is the same width as the full size Charger.

A compact truck by the Japanese definition is 66.8 in (1699 mm) wide or less.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Seriously how can you call the 78.6 in (1,996 mm) wide Ridgeline and 75.0 in (1,905 mm) wide Santa Cruz mini? The Santa Cruz is the same width as the full size Charger.

A compact truck by the Japanese definition is 66.8 in (1699 mm) wide or less.
Who cares what the Japanese definition of a mini truck is? The Maverick isn't being sold in Japan.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Who cares what the Japanese definition of a mini truck is? The Maverick isn't being sold in Japan.
Cleffy was talking about mini trucks which haven't been sold since the '80s, and when they were sold in the US they met the Japanese regulations. Their absence since the '80s is all about the chicken tax:

"Japanese manufacturers initially found they could export "chassis cab" configurations (which included the entire light truck, less the cargo box or truck bed) with only a 4% tariff.[4] A truck bed would subsequently be attached to the chassis in the United States and the vehicle could be sold as a light truck. Examples included the Chevrolet LUV and Ford Courier. The "chassis-cab" loophole was closed in 1980.[4] From 1978–1987, the Subaru BRAT carried two rear-facing seats (with seatbelts and carpeting) in its rear bed to meet classification as a "passenger vehicle" and not a light truck.
The U.S. Customs Service changed vehicle classifications in 1989, automatically relegating two-door SUVs to light-truck status.[4] Toyota Motor Corp., Nissan Motor Co., Suzuki (through a joint venture with GM), and Honda Motor Co. eventually built assembly plants in the U.S. and Canada in response to the tariff."

There were enough Americans who wanted a truck this size to take up the slack in Japanese plants, there weren't enough to set up a factory in North America to make mini trucks for the US market, so you can't get a truck that small today.

A Ridgeline or a Santa Cruz will have trouble fitting in many compact parking spaces due to their width. The Maverick will have the trouble due to its length.

·
Super Moderator
38,571 Posts
Even Ridgeline is a “standard” pickup by EPA definition. Only Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon are small.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
696 Posts
STLA small and STLA medium will be based on EMP1/CMP and EMP2. Don't expect any work to be done to fit the 2.4 in it, do expect work to be done to fit the 1.3T and 2.0T.
For one of the biggest nay-sayers of Auburn Hills, you really do think they won't put the R&D into putting a 2.4 into a different chassis when they could've already put the 1.3 into the Compass because it's already been done in the very similar Renegade.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
For one of the biggest nay-sayers of Auburn Hills, you really do think they won't put the R&D into putting a 2.4 into a different chassis when they could've already put the 1.3 into the Compass because it's already been done in the very similar Renegade.
Fuel economy standards will keep getting stricter. We are talking about 2026 for STLA small.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
696 Posts
Fuel economy standards will keep getting stricter. We are talking about 2026 for STLA small.
They've been getting stricter.
But the 2.4 still lives in the Compass as it's only engine for us.
When we need all the help we can get now, in the 1.3.
That's already in the Renegade and has most of it's R&D done by now.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
The 2.4 is, but no one likes it.
The 1.3T and 2.4 have near identical power. The 1.3T has a bit more torque, but according to those who drove them, it does not translate into "GO" power. Americans like power off the line and power to pass from Jeeps. That was in some market research from during the Daimler years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts