Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From the article:

It’s no secret by now that Ford is bringing back its Maverick pickup truck. Ever since the name resurfaced a couple of years ago, Blue Oval fans have been brimming with excitement. Ford Authority recently reported that the base-level pickup in the American automaker’s starting lineup will cost you less than $20,000.

To offer some perspective, the sub-$20k price puts the Maverick at roughly $4,000 less than the starting Ranger – about the same gap separating the mid-size truck from its F-150 counterpart. The resurrection of the classic callsign might also herald a light off-road–ready Timberline version of the barebones machine.

Full article here:

Ford Maverick Could Start At Less Than $20,000 (motor1.com)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
From the article:

It’s no secret by now that Ford is bringing back its Maverick pickup truck. Ever since the name resurfaced a couple of years ago, Blue Oval fans have been brimming with excitement. Ford Authority recently reported that the base-level pickup in the American automaker’s starting lineup will cost you less than $20,000.

To offer some perspective, the sub-$20k price puts the Maverick at roughly $4,000 less than the starting Ranger – about the same gap separating the mid-size truck from its F-150 counterpart. The resurrection of the classic callsign might also herald a light off-road–ready Timberline version of the barebones machine.

Full article here:

Ford Maverick Could Start At Less Than $20,000 (motor1.com)
If this does well then the Rampage can make a comeback.

·
Super Moderator
37,708 Posts
Ford is certainly getting a lot of use from the Escape underpinnings, it seems.

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,037 Posts
Chevy S-10 had available multi lengths. I'd be happy if the Maverick had a standard cab with fleet side long bed. Search engine said 2003 S-10 ranged from 55.2" / 4.6' to 88.8" / 7.4' depending on standard cab, extended cab, 4dr crew cab. Step side was also available. Most likely they will follow suit with 4dr only trucks short bed. Autoblog suggest 3' - 4'. I wish they would just take the Transit Connect standard cab and make it a pickup and 2' overhang.

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,037 Posts
I still wish Promaster city was at least offered as a flat bed (with optional lift tilt bed) like the Doblo work up.
Other than that, I'd love to have the Promaster city, long bed 8.1', with optional pt cruiser nose.
Plus EV & hybrid versions.
I think there is a market for LOW FWD long bed pickups. Want a 4x4 get a Jeep.
Or Pacifica standard cab pickup with PT cruiser nose.

Reactions: voiceofstl

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would suspect an under $20,000 anything would be what was once called a loss leader. A stripper model with only the absolute minimum of details. Very hard to find. And if you do find one, the sales staff will remind you of all the cool things you really need for your new truck .No Dealer will want one on the floor because there will be no profit in it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
There is a S10 flatbed in my town. It went from a to small bed to be usefull to a very large bed work truck.

·
Jeepaholic
5,855 Posts
They should bring Jeep Comanche based on Fiat Toro.
That’s something I could be interested in. I liked the looks of the Comanche concept, though I’d want 4 doors. I was thinking I’d want a Gladiator, but something smaller might work too.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
If they can pull this off and give it say 4500-5000 tow capacity they could have a hit on their hands. At least they are putting it within reach of the average buyer unlike FCA whose
latest vehicles will be $60000 plus for Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sat in a explorer limited, and a bronco today. I am shocked how low tech these vehicles are. I felt like I was in 5 year old vehicles. I guess if you are into simple tech ford is for you. I felt like the nav system in the $49k explorer was no better than my phone. The bronco had similar..

In contrast I test drove a 2021 kia sorento xline with 45k list.. felt like luxury in comparison to the $5k more ford.. this would be an easy choice on these two vehicles heads up.

If the maverick comes in with this sort of tech, I guess its the historical ford base that it will appeal too..

·
Jeepaholic
5,855 Posts
I sat in a explorer limited, and a bronco today. I am shocked how low tech these vehicles are. I felt like I was in 5 year old vehicles. I guess if you are into simple tech ford is for you. I felt like the nav system in the $49k explorer was no better than my phone. The bronco had similar..

In contrast I test drove a 2021 kia sorento xline with 45k list.. felt like luxury in comparison to the $5k more ford.. this would be an easy choice on these two vehicles heads up.

If the maverick comes in with this sort of tech, I guess its the historical ford base that it will appeal too..
You sat in a Bronco Sport, not Bronco...Bronco won’t be on lots until at least June.

My 2021 Explorer XLT has all the same tech as a similarly priced Durango SXT, except it came with synthetic leather seating instead of cloth (Durango) and a dual pane moonroof (Durango didn’t have a moonroof, and only a single pane one is available). So if Explorer appeals to the Ford base (which is quite large since Explorer sells very well), what does that say about Durango?

The Explorer XLT felt much more upscale, whereas the Durango screamed base model. I was convinced that we would be buying a Durango because I never thought I’d be interested in an Explorer...but my wife and I were more impressed with the Explorer, as well as the sales experience which was excellent.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now talk of a Maverick hybrid being in development. Not too surprising since it is based on the Escape which has a hybrid variant available. This is sounding more interesting as information leaks out.

2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Reportedly In Development
Whatever the Escape and Bronco Sport offers is possible for the Maverick.

The Bronco Sport Badlands beat the Jeep Compass Trailhawk offroad. Expect a Maverick Tremor to be an very offroad capable compact pickup.

Also, keep in mind that the all-new Ranger will be based on the Bronco and may have a Tremor and Raptor version that could give the Gladiator a real run for the money.

This is just the beginning of the penetration into what was "Jeep-Only" market niches.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts