Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,962 Posts
My wife’s was an 03 Ion, and we had eventually given it to our niece as a high school graduation present. When she joined the Army, it then made its way to my MIL and that’s the last we heard about it (we don’t talk to her often). It had very few mechanical issues over the years.

The interior though…the seats would stain easily, even despite that Scotchguard (sp?) interior protection they sold my wife. The dome light would fall out periodically, hanging by the wires. The hood release handle would pull off regularly…I think “handle‘ might be too strong of a word...and then you couldn’t open the hood until you were able to reconnect it. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. It’s a shame though, because the SL 1’s and 2’s, and my brother‘s SC’s were all really good. The interiors weren’t flashy by any means, but everything held up well over time. We got a lot of use out of all of them. You can’t ask for more than that!
Thats pathetic to have such a cheap interior that literally falls apart.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Tested: 2022 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD Is Just Enough Truck
The Maverick compact pickup reimagines the simple and small entry-level Ford for the modern age.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Might be looking into these. My civic is starting to show signs that a LOT of small problems are coming. I've had a few electrical gremlins on a 2016 lx manual with only 90,000km on it. If any ford dealer offers a dirty trade price and will work with me on price to include a good warranty i might just pull the trigger on a 2.0 ecoboost and add the tow package just to get the trans cooler.

Don't really want to buy anything new but with used prices being so high and some dealers offering to guarantee trade prices when you order and pick up it's getting hard not to dump this thing and get a new mini truck.

I'd look into a mopar mini truck but........

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Might be looking into these. My civic is starting to show signs that a LOT of small problems are coming. I've had a few electrical gremlins on a 2016 lx manual with only 90,000km on it.
Already? Wow! I just lost the TPMS on mine, but that's it and mines a 2009. That's unfortunate that a 2016 is already going.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The Maverick is likely to get a lot of attention, especially for what it offers, and the price is somewhat affordable, unlike many of the larger trucks with the larger prices to go with their size.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It appears one sensor failed and since one isn't working, all four get disabled and you get a TPMS warning light until such time you can replace the offending wheel sensor (when you go and get new tires)
Strange. My 07 Impala didn't disable the entire system when one failed. I guess that's a new thing.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I'm eyeballing the XL 2.0T with the "4k tow package"
I've priced out a AWD XLT 2.0T with the 4k tire package, and can say it is tempting. But, I think the Maverick would be too small for me coming from a Ram 1500. I think I want to go smaller for my next truck, but think a mid-size will be closer to what I would be happy with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've priced out a AWD XLT 2.0T with the 4k tire package, and can say it is tempting. But, I think the Maverick would be too small for me coming from a Ram 1500. I think I want to go smaller for my next truck, but think a mid-size will be closer to what I would be happy with.
No chance at all I'm spending another $3000 on an XLT it's mostly extras I don't want.

At this point it kind of depends on what they'll offer on my Civic. I've heard radio ads where they're offering to assess your trade and guarantee the price if you order and wait for a new vehicle. If they offer me $11k or more on my Civic I break even and put 50,000km on it for free. I'll definitely order a Maverick if it goes that route.

The mid sizes feel too bloated and expensive for the capabilities you get. Full size trucks are priced through insanity. Even $28k for a mini truck seems nuts but it seems the most capable versatile option for $30k or less. You can't even get a 3.6 Chally for anything less than $37k anymore. World is absolutely bonkers.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,074 Posts
Even $28k for a mini truck seems nuts but it seems the most capable versatile option for $30k or less.
My '06 Ram 1500 stickered at $32,400 - got it out the door for just under $29K.

I'd have a hard time paying that much for a "mini" or "mid-size" truck.

Yes, full size truck prices have gotten nuts. A similarly equipped truck to my '06 would be in the mid-40's before any incentives (if there are any these days). About a year ago, when I had my Ram in for its annual state inspection, the dealer had a fully loaded Ram 1500 (4x4, Hemi, etorque, bed storage) - MSRP just under $74K. :eek:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

Yes, full size truck prices have gotten nuts. A similarly equipped truck to my '06 would be in the mid-40's before any incentives (if there are any these days). About a year ago, when I had my Ram in for its annual state inspection, the dealer had a fully loaded Ram 1500 (4x4, Hemi, etorque, bed storage) - MSRP just under $74K. :eek:
Yes the full size truck market right now is literally insane. My Dad complains about it all the time when bidding on trucks at the dealership auctions. It's frankly disgusting the prices they want for these and used ones.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Yes the full size truck market right now is literally insane. My Dad complains about it all the time when bidding on trucks at the dealership auctions. It's frankly disgusting the prices they want for these and used ones.
How many of these fully luxury models do they plan on selling?!

GM unveils new electric Chevrolet Silverado priced at $39,900 for work truck to $105,000 for luxury model

And is someone really going to drive a $105,000 pickup on a jobsite o_O

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

GM unveils new electric Chevrolet Silverado priced at $39,900 for work truck to $105,000 for luxury model

I wouldn't be driving a 105k pick up truck to the jobsite, ever. I seen that article a few days ago. I think its semi ugly. Like are they trying to bring back some of the chevy avalanche? Past the rear doors it looks like crap. At least they did a better job of integrating a giant tablet into it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts

About as many people will take a $105k pickup on a job site as will take a $100k Jeep off a paved road

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,074 Posts
On a positive note, I checked with KBB for the private party value of my 15-year-old Ram with 280,000+ miles. Came back with ~$5,000 which is way higher than it was pre-pandemic - about $2,500.

I have no immediate plans to sell or trade it any time soon. It'll be in my driveway for quite some time yet. It needs some TLC which will still be cheaper than a new or lightly used truck.

Yes, new and used truck prices are insane at the moment.

KBB values my Mom's '97 Civic (400,000 miles) at nearly $2,000.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Under $30k Canadian I think is just over $20,000 for you.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts