Allpar Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
The interior is actually pretty decent considering the outstanding design and rock bottom price. I would like electric outside mirrors and cruise control that the XLT has however. Not every item breaks or fails. I dont need a lot of things and dont care for all functions through the touch screen.......but my ex wifes 2005 Prius' touch screen still works perfectly.
We can probably agree it's laughable that any vehicle at any price sold today comes without cruise.

·
Jeepaholic
6,646 Posts
I like the concept of cruise control, but it’s something I rarely use. We’ve had our Explorer for over a year and I haven’t used cruise once yet. I do a lot of highway driving, but it’s white knuckle, dodging all the morons type of highway driving…not conducive to using cruise. I used to use it in my Mustang and my Liberty on my drives up to my brother’s house up in Central NY, but since Covid we haven’t been up there.

Were a vehicle I was interested in to not have it, I doubt I’d care either way.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I like the concept of cruise control, but it’s something I rarely use. We’ve had our Explorer for over a year and I haven’t used cruise once yet. I do a lot of highway driving, but it’s white knuckle, dodging all the morons type of highway driving…not conducive to using cruise. I used to use it in my Mustang and my Liberty on my drives up to my brother’s house up in Central NY, but since Covid we haven’t been up there.

Adaptive cruise control pretty much blows. I drove a rental car once that had it, and because it always wants to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front of me, whenever someone would cut into my lane, the vehicle would slow down, then someone else would cut in the now open space, vehicle slows down again, and so on, and so on, and so on.

It got to the point that I felt like I was going backwards, while everyone else was passing me.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,962 Posts
Adaptive cruise control pretty much blows. I drove a rental car once that had it, and because it always wants to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front of me, whenever someone would cut into my lane, the vehicle would slow down, then someone else would cut in the now open space, vehicle slows down again, and so on, and so on, and so on.

It got to the point that I felt like I was going backwards, while everyone else was passing me.
I found it undependable when I used it. Would also start braking at little differences while driving.

·
Registered
248 Posts

I'm quite the opposite. I use it all the time but it does get annoying having to slow down when people don't move over and then hitting resume again. First world problems eh? I use it cruising in town too. Guess my sciatic problems have me used to sitting with my knees as wide as possible but I'm constantly turning my cruise on and off. I've never had an issue without it either, and I'd still buy a base Maverick without cruise over Mopars offering in the class. Oh wait....

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,074 Posts

In 2019 I rented a Camry with the adaptive cruise and experienced the same issues. I eventually learned to change lanes when about 5-6 car lengths behind another vehicle. I later learned if you held the cruise button for at least three seconds it would just engage as regular cruise and not adaptive cruise.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Yes, if you want to maintain the full set speed with adaptive cruise control, you have to pay attention. Isn’t that what everyone complains about - people not paying attention while they drive?

To me, where I drive, even on the main interstates, if I don’t have adaptive cruise I can’t use cruise much at all.

·
370,000 miles
1,424 Posts
I haven't used cruise control in years. I actually enjoy the mental challenge of seeing how well I can maintain a speed manually. Being able to do so successfully means I have to pay attention to the traffic.
I use cruise control extensively, primarily to avoid speeding tickets. Without cruise control, if I'm on a highway with no other cars around for a while, I have trouble keeping my speed down.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,095 Posts
I use cruise control extensively, primarily to avoid speeding tickets. Without cruise control, if I'm on a highway with no other cars around for a while, I have trouble keeping my speed down.
Ditto.
My wife's car has adaptive cruise. There are three distance settings. The closest one usually works well. Can't use traditional cruise on that model.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts