Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
780 Posts
Ford also recently issued an urgent safety recall for potential engine compartment fires for tens of thousands of 2021 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator models.

Ford has directed the vehicle owners to park them outside of any structure AND Ford currently has no remedy for the safety recall (not just the required parts are not available).

Prior to latest safety recall listed above, Ford has issued at least 30 safety recalls in 2022.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact they have no remedy for that is mind blowing. They might as well said...hey we can't do anything so if it catches on fire that sucks.

Also this type of situation is similar(software error with Jeep) to what killed Anton Yelchin...

"A damaged or missing bushing may prevent the vehicle from shifting into the intended gear, and cause the vehicle to move in an unexpected direction," the government website says. "Additionally, the vehicle may roll after the driver selects the 'Park' position."

·
Super Moderator
40,540 Posts
The fact they have no remedy for that is mind blowing. They might as well said...hey we can't do anything so if it catches on fire that sucks.

Also this type of situation is similar(software error with Jeep) to what killed Anton Yelchin...

"A damaged or missing bushing may prevent the vehicle from shifting into the intended gear, and cause the vehicle to move in an unexpected direction," the government website says. "Additionally, the vehicle may roll after the driver selects the 'Park' position."
Ford’s issue is a failure of either the component or the assembly process. The Jeep problem was a design that had poor user tactile feedback. Same result, very different causes.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. The issue for Jeep was solved with a software update literally the same week he was killed but they were slow to the process. Regardless a vehicle moving when it's in "park" but it's not is dangerous.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,920 Posts

That's worse than the Jeep issue. There was no software error with the Jeep. That was driver error coming from an absolutely stupid shifter design. I guess you could say it was a software error but the reality is it performed and stupidly designed. Monostable shifters are inane but the error was his, and it's not like they don't have TWO PRNDLs.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's worse than the Jeep issue. There was no software error with the Jeep. That was driver error coming from an absolutely stupid shifter design. I guess you could say it was a software error but the reality is it performed and stupidly designed. Monostable shifters are inane but the error was his, and it's not like they don't have TWO PRNDLs.
I agree with you 100% that it is worse than Jeep especially how many cars are impacted by the recall. I find it appalling that this is an actual issue.

·
Administrator
39,920 Posts
I agree with you 100% that it is worse than Jeep especially how many cars are impacted by the recall. I find it appalling that this is an actual issue.
My point is that with the Jeeps, the vehicle worked exactly as designed.

·
Administrator
39,920 Posts
I wonder if Audi and a few other brands that had the very same shifter also had issues? I'm ASSuming they didn't. Which makes me wonder why Chrysler had them....
They probably did, but not as publicized. It's not like hundreds of people were killed. It was one very high profile actor.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,258 Posts
And yet according to some even on here, Ford makes a superior product and takes way better care of it's customers then FCA does. The new electric Mustang also has a stop sale issued as well. Apparently no fix for that either. FCA isn't without criticisms, but Ford certainly is no better either, even with poaching all of Chrysler's engineers evidently.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
And yet according to some even on here, Ford makes a superior product and takes way better care of it's customers then FCA does. The new electric Mustang also has a stop sale issued as well. Apparently no fix for that either. FCA isn't without criticisms, but Ford certainly is no better either, even with poaching all of Chrysler's engineers evidently.
Must be all the Chrysler engineers’ fault. Change their name to FORC. F’d over rebadged Chrysler. Btw, they weren’t poached per se, they are a sleeper cell, planned from the start.

·
Super Moderator
40,540 Posts
Ford is definitely having teething problems.
But at least they have a steady flow of new product instead of a trickle. Products people are lining up to buy. So if they get the issues taken care of quickly, they could still be in good standing. If not, ouch!

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,258 Posts
Ford is definitely having teething problems.
But at least they have a steady flow of new product instead of a trickle. Products people are lining up to buy. So if they get the issues taken care of quickly, they could still be in good standing. If not, ouch!
That's great, but if the steady flow is launched for customers to work out the bugs, that's not good.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts