Allpar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,877 Posts
The fact they have no remedy for that is mind blowing. They might as well said...hey we can't do anything so if it catches on fire that sucks.

Also this type of situation is similar(software error with Jeep) to what killed Anton Yelchin...

"A damaged or missing bushing may prevent the vehicle from shifting into the intended gear, and cause the vehicle to move in an unexpected direction," the government website says. "Additionally, the vehicle may roll after the driver selects the 'Park' position."
That's worse than the Jeep issue. There was no software error with the Jeep. That was driver error coming from an absolutely stupid shifter design. I guess you could say it was a software error but the reality is it performed and stupidly designed. Monostable shifters are inane but the error was his, and it's not like they don't have TWO PRNDLs.

·
Administrator
39,877 Posts
I agree with you 100% that it is worse than Jeep especially how many cars are impacted by the recall. I find it appalling that this is an actual issue.
My point is that with the Jeeps, the vehicle worked exactly as designed.

·
Administrator
39,877 Posts
I wonder if Audi and a few other brands that had the very same shifter also had issues? I'm ASSuming they didn't. Which makes me wonder why Chrysler had them....
They probably did, but not as publicized. It's not like hundreds of people were killed. It was one very high profile actor.

·
Administrator
39,877 Posts
Like I've said in previous posts, don't be shocked if Ford gets a pass. A wide swath of the public considers them untouchable because they didn't need a bailout. Anyone that knows anything about the auto business knows that they were just behind GM and Chrysler in the bankruptcy corner had things continued to go the way they did.
Some would call that multi-billion low-interest DOE loan, not available to GM or Chrysler, to be a bailout...

·
Administrator
39,877 Posts
As I recall, it got so bad for Ford they mortgaged their logo. But hey...........
Yes, a lot of their ability to get through was making sure they had cash. Irony: had 2008 occurred ten years earlier, Chrysler would have been the only automaker to be healthy throughout without even needing to borrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts