Allpar Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Dakota, 2014 Grand Caravan
44 Posts
The 170 slant-6 was around from the beginning - 1961, I believe. It was stroked to 225 CID as an optional engine with more power.
Around 1971 or thereabouts, the 170 was stroked a little more to make 198 CID, for just enough power to offset what had been lost to emissions controls. The 225 remained. Eventually (1974 or 1975?) they did away with the 198, as it just had too little power for even a base engine.
Others can provide the exact years, but that's the history of it.
You are right 1960 Valiant was the reason, lower hood-line they needed a slant 6. I'm thinking the 225 made till the late 90's?

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,317 Posts
You are right 1960 Valiant was the reason, lower hood-line they needed a slant 6. I'm thinking the 225 made till the late 90's?
1981 was the last year for cars, 1987 for trucks. There have been no inline Chrysler sixes since.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, but you can't make that direct comparison, because other expenses have increased or decreased at vastly different rates from inflation. Housing is far more expensive when adjusted for inflation, for instance. So the same percentage of money is not necessarily available from a household income.
Oh, how true! My previous house in Omaha was about the same price as my parents' house near Golden, Colorado. (Theirs is a little bigger and on a lot twice the size.) Forty years later, my brother and I sold the house we inherited; my half was more than enough to buy the Omaha one. That was $even year$ ago. Now it's almost impossible to find one in the Golden area that's less than half a million dollars. (Talk about "you can't go home again.")

As for cars, what stymies comparison is that you can't find a smallish new car that doesn't have power windows, steering, brakes, and mirrors - to say nothing about GPS, Bluetooth, keyless start, yada yada. Can you even get a car without air conditioning? "AM radio? What's that, a radio that only works in the morning?"

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
The 170 slant-6 was around from the beginning - 1961, I believe. It was stroked to 225 CID as an optional engine with more power.
Around 1971 or thereabouts, the 170 was stroked a little more to make 198 CID, for just enough power to offset what had been lost to emissions controls. The 225 remained. Eventually (1974 or 1975?) they did away with the 198, as it just had too little power for even a base engine.
Others can provide the exact years, but that's the history of it.
It wasn't quite just a stroker kit. That is why each has different length pushrods. Deck height changed for each displacement which made other details different too. Even the water pump hose is different.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It wasn't quite just a stroker kit. That is why each has different length pushrods. Deck height changed for each displacement which made other details different too. Even the water pump hose is different.
AMC first straight-six engine was the 199 cu in. They (AMC) raised the deck height to produce the 232, 258 etc. The first 4.0 engines in 1987 Renault I think? It was used by Chrysler too still in the Jeep's for years.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yes, but you can't make that direct comparison, because other expenses have increased or decreased at vastly different rates from inflation. Housing is far more expensive when adjusted for inflation, for instance. So the same percentage of money is not necessarily available from a household income.
But a 2 million dollar computer is now $200 and alot better.

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
The difference between a 170 and 225 slant 6 was substantial.
The 170 loved to rev compared to a 225, though weaker on low end torque.
But the 225 had the low end torque and reved slower.
I've never owned or driven a 198, but expect it to be somewhere between.
I believe the 3 slant 6 variations share the same bore, differing only to stroke.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first new car was a '76 Dodge Aspen with 225, 3 on the floor, no AC, no radio for $3250. Kept it for a quite few years. Put a radio/tape deck in, but because of the no AC in North Carolina, had to have the cloth seats reupholstered twice.

·
Super Moderator
32,317 Posts
But a 2 million dollar computer is now $200 and alot better.
Nobody had computers, nobody had cell phone bills, cable bills, TV bills, satellite radio bills. That's over $600 a month for us now.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
For contrast, in 1975 I bought a 1973 Corvette for $7,000!!

I forget my wages but I do remember the GMAC payment booklet.

The booklet was good in that one could make payments at any dealer.

Any time I made extra $$ I could clip another stub from the payment book.

Same thing when I bought my 1986 Omni Turbo only with Chrysler Credit.

I emptied the payment book in record time with that one.

Thanks
Randy

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,010 Posts
Nobody had computers, nobody had cell phone bills, cable bills, TV bills, satellite radio bills. That's over $600 a month for us now.
Indeed. Our Internet bill, DirecTV, cell phone, and satellite bills add up to about $500 a month. I've consolidated my credit cards into one new credit card that charges no interest for 20 months. Should have that paid off in 18-20 months. After that I'll just have the mortgage, car payment, water, power, cell phone, landline/internet, car insurance and DirecTV bills. I do have a student loan (Parent Plus loan) from when my son was in college. Will be working on paying that off. In the next month I'll be starting employment with a new firm (very nice offer) and plan on putting more funds towards retirement which is only 10-12 years away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In 1974 the Nixon wage and price controls were abolished and prices of goods such as automobiles skyrocketed. From 1973 to 1975 the typical car with same equipment increased in cost by $800 - $1000.

In 1974 the 170 slant six was the standard engine in the Dodge Dart. The 225 six with slightly more horsepower and torque was an upgrade.
I believe the 170 was out of production and replaced by the 198.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The difference between a 170 and 225 slant 6 was substantial.
The 170 loved to rev compared to a 225, though weaker on low end torque.
But the 225 had the low end torque and reved slower.
I've never owned or driven a 198, but expect it to be somewhere between.
I believe the 3 slant 6 variations share the same bore, differing only to stroke.
Flash back my 1st new vehicle was a...Dodge Cargo (109 w.b) van with a 225 engine and a automatic! I think when I sold it at (with over) 50k on it, still going strong. In those days 50k was almost a end of life on a vehicle as I remember it came a with 5/50k warranty.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts