Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I have to know to get the shift lever out of the shifter assembley?
Pocket knife or screwdriver dont seem to get it.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
We have to know the year, make model and engine/transmission of your vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a four speed from the 70s I would guess. I saw this same setup on an OD tranny in a pick up one time as well. I have one of these shifters apart and it looks like the lever is held in by a tab similar to what one may see in a wiring gang plug ( bigger of coarse). I would expect that there is a tool for this but maybe someone has a secret way.
Now that I think about it the shifter in the car is in fact the one fron this pick up I refered to. The linkage that I have on the shelf is like it.I think that one was in a Cuda or Challenger.
There has to be an easy way to release that tab.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HMM, I was kinda hoping that the Mopar guys on here would know how to disassemble a common OEM Mopar four speed shifter.

·
Registered
647 Posts
dont know if you have resolved this yet or not but I was just reading something in my manual for shift rod placement on this same trans and noticed a section on shifter removal it says to use a 0.010 feeler gauge and slide it between the shift rod and clip to release it

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Jack M said:
HMM, I was kinda hoping that the Mopar guys on here would know how to disassemble a common OEM Mopar four speed shifter.
Sorry Jack, there are too many "OEM" Mopar shifters to answer the question without the proper information, so this Mopar guy can't answer such a simple-minded question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple is as simple does.
I doubt this is a Dana set up anyway.

Thanks 'Mopar56' I think this is the only way that I can see to get this shifter out.
I just wasn't sure if a feeler gauge would be strong enough to move the tab.
Every old Mopar four speed I have seen has this set up.

As for application, its an A833 hooked up to a 392 Hemi in a 28 Dodge. Does this help? LOL

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
A833 was never offered with a 392, but she does sound like a cool hotrod, I must say. Yes, a feeler gauge will work, and if you push the stickshift down while inserting it should give the extra room you need to loosen the holding pin pressure to remove. A little grease may help, too. Any pictures you could share?

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
If I remember correctly, only a Borg Warner 4-speed was offered behind the 392 as an option on the 300C &D (1957/58). Almost as rare as a F/I unit in 58.

·
Registered
647 Posts
so I had to remove my sons gearshift from his shifter tonight as he was replacing it with a pistol grip, the key here is to get the feeler gauge,( I used an 11 thou) between the stick and the shifter as close as you can to the stick and on the drivers side of the stick, there is a small sort of "u' shaped cut out in the tin clip that faces upward that is pushing into a hole in the base of the stick, that will release the clip but the stick is still in there tight,our trans was on our work bench so we used a pair of vice grips to grab the stick at the base then tap up on it with the feeler gauge still in place, I also used a bit of penetrating oil, if your trans is still in the car you may just be able to pull on the stick with force to remove it, the whole process should take about 10 min once you have done it but we probably struggled 45 min till we figured the clip out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mopar56 said:
so I had to remove my sons gearshift from his shifter tonight as he was replacing it with a pistol grip, the key here is to get the feeler gauge,( I used an 11 thou) between the stick and the shifter as close as you can to the stick and on the drivers side of the stick, there is a small sort of "u' shaped cut out in the tin clip that faces upward that is pushing into a hole in the base of the stick, that will release the clip but the stick is still in there tight,our trans was on our work bench so we used a pair of vice grips to grab the stick at the base then tap up on it with the feeler gauge still in place, I also used a bit of penetrating oil, if your trans is still in the car you may just be able to pull on the stick with force to remove it, the whole process should take about 10 min once you have done it but we probably struggled 45 min till we figured the clip out
Perfect. I now understand, Thanks for this and thanks all.
I would love to post a picture but don't know how here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts