Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
New
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Durango inspected here in MD....bought it in PA where it had passed their safety inspection a month ago, but curiously enough, MD found alot of stuff wrong.

One thing on the list is "front drive shaft cv joint"(Its a 2003 4x4 with the 4.7)

Ive checked the big box stores and the closest I can come is the "propeller shaft CV joint kit" as described in the paste below

roduct Features:
  • Comes with joint, boot, clamps & grease for a complete repair (where applicable)
  • Replacement stops clicking sounds and/or vibrations from the CV Joint
  • Durable design resists tearing, damage from debris, and water intrusion
  • Precision manufactured for close tolerances

Product Application(s):
2003 Dodge Durango
  • 4WD; Front Propeller Shaft; Dorman - OE Solutions
  • Rear; 4WD; Transfer Case end on Front Prop Shaft; Dorman - OE Solutions
Is this what I need? Its $154...I read that the whole thing is $350 but I cant find it anywhere and ive also heard that you cant rebuild them because something is press fit? Well, hell I have access to a press at work, so what is a press fit on these and does anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks as always,
Neil

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
It's usually cheaper just to buy a reman than to try and replace the joint and boot itself. Sometimes even if you can get the joint separately, it costs more than the reman assembly.
You should get a better description of the part that you need from the shop that did the inspection. Is it the propeller shaft CV (to the transfer case) or axle shaft CV (to the wheel) joint that is failing and what is wrong with it? Do you have any drivetrain noise or vibration or grease slinging?
The axle shaft CV joint is held in by snap rings, the prop shaft CV joint may not be serviceable.
The prop shafts that I see online for a 2003 Durango use regular universal joints and not CV joints. I think that you may need the left or right front axle CV joint?

·
New
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ImperialCrown said:
It's usually cheaper just to buy a reman than to try and replace the joint and boot itself. Sometimes even if you can get the joint separately, it costs more than the reman assembly.
You should get a better description of the part that you need from the shop that did the inspection. Is it the propeller shaft CV (to the transfer case) or axle shaft CV (to the wheel) joint that is failing and what is wrong with it? Do you have any drivetrain noise or vibration or grease slinging?
The axle shaft CV joint is held in by snap rings, the prop shaft CV joint may not be serviceable.
The prop shafts that I see online for a 2003 Durango use regular universal joints and not CV joints. I think that you may need the left or right front axle CV joint?
Thought I would tie up this post. Everyone was confused by this one. The parts counter guy at Advance tried to sell me a CV axle, etc....a friend of mine had never even heard of CVs on the half shafts much less on a drive shaft.

so its on the front drive shaft which they call "front propeller shaft", the one that goes between the transfer case and the front differential. On the transfer case side, they have what was apparently, a 2003 only "improvement" which consisted of a CV pod joint instead of a U joint. That is what was "bad"....well the boot was gone anyway. There wasnt any slop in it yet. Theres not alot of info on the web about it. The differential side was a ujoint and flange.

The complete axles available all had the ujoints instead which they touted as an improvement, but I think it was a cop out. (cheaper fix) in any case even these axles were running $350 at the cheapest. I reckon the 98-2002 propeller shafts had ujoints as well... probably could have used one from a junk yard and rebuilt the ujoints and been done with it..that would have flipped the inspection guys wig.

In any case, I did buy the $154 rebuild kit and I rebuilt the CV pod. Was not a bad job, there was one retaining ring, but prying off the back cover of the pod gave you access to it. Then the bearing pulled off the splines. No hammer involved. Put the front cover on the new pod housing, put the bearing in said housing, packed the front side with grease (supplied) slid it on the shaft, installed the new snap ring.....packed the heck out of the back side and installed the rear cover to the pod.

So, $154 and its done. Still wonder if the 98-2002 propeller shafts would have worked instead.

Thanks again!
Neil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts