Allpar Forums banner

Front end change for Cherokee

13K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  humdrum 
#1 ·
Chrysler... LISTENS!!

Look closely at the just released images of the 2014 Cherokee and you will see a welcome change, darkened headlamp clusters!

IMO it looks much better, you be the judge!

See less See more
Reactions: Super Dak
#3 ·
Some of those released media pictures look really bad, almost like some grade 6 student did the photoshop job.

I do like that they're making the main cluster dark, but they should have done the same thing with the LED "brow" as well. The thing still looks bizarre and too aquatic-like for me, if only they put a Grand Cherokee front clip on it... Would have been a really good looking little trucklet.

The red Trailhawk is okay, it's definitely by far the best looking of the bunch from the media pics.

BTW, I'm torn. Part of me want to see this version fail miserably so they will rush a emergency refresh of the front clip, a very big part of me...

#6 ·
kdaviper said:
I think the dark lights were my idea lol. brought to realization by the wonderful Susan Rand!
The only problem is...the darkened headlights are illegal in several states, so it's just cosmetics for the PR shots. Not a real change.

#7 ·
Mr Source; I respect you, but in this case; please don't! If this is how Chrysler listens, then they really need to go by Walgreens and buy a ton of qtips....
Please allow us to mourn in silence...

EDIT: I apologize for the expression I used. It's been changed to a more subdued one, but I refuse to accept that either a photoshop or a darkened headlight means that Chrysler listened to anything. If they did, they really need to check their ears.

#8 ·
It looks better with the headlamp surround darkened and nothing about that is illegal in any state, it is just the surround piece, the headlamp itself is untouched.

After looking it over, reading all the specs etc. I think it is going to sell really well, but only time will tell.

#9 ·
The headlamp does not look like it has enough output to meet FMVSS. It does not look brighter than the fog lamps.

If they do meet FMVSS, it will be the smallest headlight on a production vehicle.

#10 ·
Erik Latranyi said:
The headlamp does not look like it has enough output to meet FMVSS. It does not look brighter than the fog lamps.

If they do meet FMVSS, it will be the smallest headlight on a production vehicle.
I think the only way to create headlights that slender would be the use of LEDs and there is no mention in the PR the 2014 Cherokee being a "Chrysler first" to use LEDs for the main forward lighting.

#12 ·
JRS200x said:
It looks better with the headlamp surround darkened and nothing about that is illegal in any state, it is just the surround piece, the headlamp itself is untouched.
l.
??? I've looked at that shot for a while now and it sure looks to me the ENTIRE light lens is darkened, not just the surround?

#13 ·
Intrepidatious said:
I am slapping my forehead at how bad some of the photo manipulations are on some of these official photos.
If they had asked our Allpar experts for assistance, these pictures would be far, far superior!

Reactions: MoparNorm
#14 ·
IMPERIAL4EVER said:
I think the only way to create headlights that slender would be the use of LEDs and there is no mention in the PR the 2014 Cherokee being a "Chrysler first" to use LEDs for the main forward lighting.
AGAIN!
The slender slits are NOT the headlights. The headlights are the middle set, the upper slits are the DLR and turn indicators.
The projector headlights are round and the center set of the vertical "stack".
;)

#16 ·
Mr.Source said:
Chrysler... LISTENS!!

Look closely at the just released images of the 2014 Cherokee and you will see a welcome change, darkened headlamp clusters!

IMO it looks much better, you be the judge!
So is it a 2 shot mold? if it is actually smoked they would have had to plan that in advance for the 2 different resins.

#17 ·
MoparNorm said:
AGAIN!
The slender slits are NOT the headlights. The headlights are the middle set, the upper slits are the DLR and turn indicators.
The projector headlights are round and the center set of the vertical "stack".
;)
Norm:

I am referring to the projector lights. They seem too small (and without a reflector) would not meet FMVSS.

#18 ·
oh2o said:
Photoshop comes through again!
I know :facepalm:

DDakRT said:
Some of those released media pictures look really bad, almost like some grade 6 student did the photoshop job.

I do like that they're making the main cluster dark, but they should have done the same thing with the LED "brow" as well. The thing still looks bizarre and too aquatic-like for me, if only they put a Grand Cherokee front clip on it... Would have been a really good looking little trucklet.

The red Trailhawk is okay, it's definitely by far the best looking of the bunch from the media pics.

BTW, I'm torn. Part of me want to see this version fail miserably so they will rush a emergency refresh of the front clip, a very big part of me...
Agreed. That photoshop is just horrible.

The DRL & turn signal light needs a darkened cluster as well to match the headlight cluster.

Grand Cherokee front clip on this and it would look awesome. I'd be interested in it like that.

Agreed on the refresh

JRS200x said:

After looking it over, reading all the specs etc. I think it is going to sell really well, but only time will tell.
x2, it's just the projector surround that is darkened, not the lens.

Erik Latranyi said:

Could be angle or just terrible photoshop

Intrepidatious said:
I am slapping my forehead at how bad some of the photo manipulations are on some of these official photos.
Agreed. I suck at photoshop, and I can tell these are bad.

Rymanrph said:
It looks to me like the black hood panel on the Trail Hawks have been digitally added as well, but the PS headlamp darkening is just embarrassing in most of these shots.
That was my first thought about the Trail Hawk pictures...is that photoshop?

Erik Latranyi said:
Norm:

I am referring to the projector lights. They seem too small (and without a reflector) would not meet FMVSS.
Why would the projector headlight assemblies need a reflector? That's what the reflector in the upper DRL/turn signal lamp assembly is for.

#19 ·
The fact that the trailhawk looks so much better and that they attempted this horrible photoshop job really brings home the impact of a Gilles design element that I and a lot of people dislike. All of his designs, especially the interiors, generally represent a huge step up from the prior version--except the common complaint that I have (and many I know) is that there are too many chrome accents or otherwise shiny accents. It cheapens the image of what are otherwise nice exterior designs and interiors. The rediculous chrome surrounds on the grilles look like cheap aftermarket tack-ons, something like you might purchase by the chrome hubcaps at walmart. Equally hideous is the gaping chrome-accented "mouth" at the bottom of the front end.

Get rid of the chrome accents. They are gross.

#20 ·
UN4GTBL said:
Why would the projector headlight assemblies need a reflector? That's what the reflector in the upper DRL/turn signal lamp assembly is for.
Look at the close-up pictures of the new Durango lights. The projector is in the middle, surrounded by reflector.

#21 ·
Erik Latranyi said:
Look at the close-up pictures of the new Durango lights. The projector is in the middle, surrounded by reflector.

Projectors don't need reflectors outside of them (everything needed is inside the projector)

That is simply a surface painted flat silver

The '14 Grand Cherokee SRT8 has a black surface surrounding it's projectors

#22 ·
UN4GTBL said:
Projectors don't need reflectors outside of them (everything needed is inside the projector)

That is simply a surface painted flat silver

The '14 Grand Cherokee SRT8 has a black surface surrounding it's projectors
The Charger also employs a similar surround with the projectors.

#23 ·
bumonbox said:
The Charger also employs a similar surround with the projectors.
The Charger is unique in that the base models use the regular halogen headlights, that need a large reflector to work. For the HID equipped models, they put the projector in the reflectors, with a shroud.

Charger with halogen headlights:

[This copyrighted image has been removed at the request of the copyright holder. Please do not use copyrighted images without permission.]

Charger with HIDs in Projectors:

The Dart, like the Durango is a projector only headlight, and just has a projector:

AFAIK, you only need a turn signal reflector

#24 ·
Erik Latranyi said:

Many projectors are very small. The ones on the Cherokee look no smaller than most other projectors I've seen. There is no real point and trying to compare the brightness of the projectors to the foglights. You cannot really perceive the true brightness of projectors unless you are directly in the light path.

#26 ·
Stratuscaster said:
Is that indeed a reflector? :huh:

I'm no lighting genius, but from what I know of "projectors" - they don't need to use a traditional reflector.
That's my impression of it too. All that is needed is inside the projector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.