Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a perplexing issue. My 2000 DGC has been doing this for a while, but when you open the doors or turn all the interior lights on the front reading lights fail to turn on. They will however turn on if you press them. Are they dual filament bulbs and just one is broken? I've tried to study a wiring diagram but from what I can tell from a wiring stand point, the front reading lights should come on with the rest. As always input is always greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
36,932 Posts
This is a common issue. I seem to recall someone traced the fault to the headlight or dimmer switch a few years back but I can't find the post with the details.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
I suspect it'll be a ground problem. The 12v power should be at the lights and when you open the door, turn the headlight switch to "dome" or push the button on the lamp itself you make the ground. Don't know where to tell you to look though. Start by getting a test light or volt meter and verify that the light either does or doesn't have the 12v power all the time. Then you'll have a direction to run with.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,678 Posts
AJ_Schreiber said:
I have a perplexing issue. My 2000 DGC has been doing this for a while, but when you open the doors or turn all the interior lights on the front reading lights fail to turn on. They will however turn on if you press them. Are they dual filament bulbs and just one is broken? I've tried to study a wiring diagram but from what I can tell from a wiring stand point, the front reading lights should come on with the rest. As always input is always greatly appreciated
Just a sidenote:

As I recall, on our 2000 T&C Ltd, the front overhead map lights would not turn on "manually" (via the switch in the dash), if the front doors were closed (and engine running in drive?). That would be normal. Otherwise, they should turn on along with the other interior lights when any door is open or the remote lock/unlock is used to unlock the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
36,932 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang, I already tried searching both forums I must have missed it. When I fix it in the coming weeks I will report a fix so other people can find it later :) Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hummm..this has been an issue with my moms 2000 TC, though she does not drive at night(very poor headlights) with it anymore so it is not noticed as much.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,678 Posts
Jaime said:
Hummm..this has been an issue with my moms 2000 TC, though she does not drive at night(very poor headlights) with it anymore so it is not noticed as much.
Does hers have the quads? Mine were getting pretty hazy right before I traded it. As I recall the quads were a bit pricey to replace - $200 per side. We used a kit (~$10) from Advance on a Avenger my son had for a bit. It wasn't perfect but it did clean them up quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
36,932 Posts
Quad lights are available in the aftermarket now (assuming the 2000 T&C light is the same as for my old 1999 T&C). I helped the current owner of my old van put these aftermarket headlights on after one of the originals took on water which killed the reflective finish inside the assembly. They seem to make pretty good light now on that van.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Doug D said:
Does hers have the quads? Mine were getting pretty hazy right before I traded it. As I recall the quads were a bit pricey to replace - $200 per side. We used a kit (~$10) from Advance on a Avenger my son had for a bit. It wasn't perfect but it did clean them up quite a bit.
Yes it does have Quads, thye have never been all great anyhow and now that they are in very poor shape, the light output is just aweful. I have told her I could put new ones in, but she does not want to spend the money.They use the Charger or Explorer for night driving.

·
Super Moderator
36,932 Posts
When the are clear, the quad lights are really nice and put out good light. It's just over $50 per side for the aftermarket quad replacements.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
valiant67 said:
When the are clear, the quad lights are really nice and put out good light. It's just over $50 per side for the aftermarket quad replacements.
Thats not a bad price, where did you find them? I have looked on line and most about 169-200 per side.

·
Super Moderator
36,932 Posts
rockauto.com

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I checked the operation of interior lamps on my 2000 GV. When a door is opened, all interior lamps on the ceiling (including the 2 over the driver and front passenger seat) illuminate. Same for all lamps to illuminate if the remote keyless is activated to unlock all doors. If you turn the thumb wheel next to the rotary headlight switch, all ceiling interior lamps EXCEPT the 2 over the driver and front passenger seat illuminate.

So I would agree with others and the thumb wheel dimmer control on the lights may have a problem. I looked at a wiring diagram for a 2000 mini van. There are 2 power sources of 12 volts to the front driver and passenger reading lamps. One is an unstitched, fused 15 amp circuit (#6) from the power distribution center. When you press each front reading lamp on its lens you complete the circuit to ground and the lamp illuminates. That means the ground circuit to the reading lamp is good.

When a door is opened or the remote keyless is activated to unlock the doors, the body control module (BCM) senses this and sends a signal to the interior courtesy light relay to close its circuit and activate interior lamps. It also grounds the circuit to the front reading lamps so they will illuminate. However if you turn the headlamp thumb switch fully to turn on interior lamps, the BCM senses this and activates the interior courtesy light relay but does NOT ground the circuit to the front reading lamps so they will NOT illuminate. So there is a logic path that is being followed to determine which interior device is activating the interior lamps. I would imagine engineers designed the system this way so that the adults could drive at night without an annoying overhead lamp in their eyes but yet have lamps illuminating the rear area so as to keep a watchful eye on the munchkins!

It appears that the circuit through the variable resistor thumb wheel dimmer must be able to pass a minute electrical current in all positions except OF.F That allows the logic circuit within the BCM controlling the interior courtesy light relay to be activated and sensing at all times so it can control the ground path for the front reading lamps.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
AJ_Schreiber said:
My 92 Plymouth Grand Voyager has always done the same. The door lights and the rear reading lights will turn on when the front doors are opened, but not the front reading lights. I think this is the way the car was designed. Maybe in the newer vans there might be a simple setting in the computer to change. Check your owners manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts