Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Contrarian
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I drive for work a 98 Voyager with a 3.3/automatic.

Boss wants to refresh the company car, but wants better fuel economy than the van delivers

Any real world feedback on the 4 cylinder Journey's or the V6.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I can only speak about my own of course, but it's an R/T with AWD and the 3.6L (2011). I do find that it's the first Chrysler vehicle I've owned where I can't seem to ever match Transport Canada's economy ratings on the highway. Every other car I've owned I've been able to beat the ratings at times. I think I would have to use pretty aggressive hypermiling techniques to even get close with this one. In city driving though, it seems to pretty much match the ratings. I'm getting in general at best about 9.5L/100km on the highway and around 12L/100km around town. (I'm a fairly gentle driver.) It actually does seem a little worse lately - maybe it's the chillier weather.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
We've had two Journey's - a 2009 SXT 3.5L V6 and currently a 2010 SXT 3.5L V6. Both averaged about 19-20 mpg in "local" driving which was better than the 15-16 mpg we averaged with our previous '00 T&C Ltd AWD 3.8L. Even my '06 Ram with the Hemi averaged better (17.4 mpg) than the T&C - go figure.

On long trips both averaged 25-26 mpg on the highway (70 mph with AC on, moderately loaded), slightly less (23-24 mpg) in hilly terrain.

Personally, I would stay with the V6 - the 4 cylinder (mated to the 4 speed auto) is only marginally better than the V6 (3.5L or 3.6L) when it comes to fuel mileage. The Journey is too heavy for the 4 banger to get "great" fuel mileage.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
The four cylinder is, AFAIK, still cursed with the four-speed automatic; I believe with the six speed it would do far better. That said, in real life, it depends partly on the city or highway percentage. Journey and minivans have identical EPA ratings now, not sure about Canadian and European measurements.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,387 Posts
You'll get pretty similar mileage to your Voyager. I went from a Caravan with the 3.3 to my Journey with the 3.6 and they eat fuel at a pretty similar rate. That being said, my Journey is AWD and that does impact mileage.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have seen as high 27 mpg on a round trip to LA, most trips are about 23-24mpg. Average day to day is about 16-17mpg.

M

·
0 Posts
I currently own a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT AWD. Just turned 28,000 miles on it and we are consistently getting 18.5 - 19 mpg around town. I have switched to synthetic oil in it, which I use in all my vehicles. I am wondering if any of you that also have the 3.5 liter experience a sound from the motor similar to a valve tap. I have had it to a few mechanic's including my own brother-in-law and they have all said this sound seems to be coming from the evap system, and they have experienced it on other 3.5's. Great car, LOVE IT, just wish it did not have this sound. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
2011 Mainstreet 3.6
with my wife driving... we're seeing a 24mpg average.
with me... it comes down a little. (heavy foot)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just went on a trip from NE Ohio to Flight 93 memorial se of Pittsburgh in a 2011 Journey RT, V6. 3 adults; hilly country; ac on 1/3 of the time. 55-60 mph state routes, 65-70 on interstate. Averaged 27.5 mpg

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
2010 Journey SXT 3.5L V6 6 speed. Traveled down to Martinsville to visit our son at college. Averaged 25.5 mpg for the enitre weekend - covered just over 600 miles. Trip down I set the cruise at 70 mph on the interstates and 60-65 on the state secondary roads. On the return trip (mostly interstate) I set the cruise at 75 mph. Terrain included the mountains of Virginia - US 220/I-81/I-64/I-95.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have an '09 Journey SXT that we bought new, that now has 80,000 miles on it, and whenever I get into it the few mileage gauge reading is around 22 miles to the gallon. When we go on trips (highway driving), 65-70mph we get between 24-26 miles to the gallon. If you stay under 60mph, we've had it tickle 29-30 miles to the gallon fairly often. Great automobile, no problems but the brake rotors (which are common for this car)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Our '12 SXT 2.4 4spd auto gets around 30 on highway light footed driving and about 23 average with city and mountain driving local to the house. I have bee very pleased. A 300 mile trip to my inlaws left me with just under a half tank.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
Any feedback on 87 octane v. 89 in the 3.5 litre?
Jeff, I've been running 87 octane in the 3.5L V6 our Journey is equipped with. Local driving is yielding about 18-19 mpg while we average 26 mpg highway. I've used 89 octane on occasion, but haven't noticed a noticable difference in fuel mileage or acceleration.

Note our is a FWD model, not AWD.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
Traveled to Elizabeth City, NC for the weekend to see our son play some college baseball. Our 2010 Journey SXT with the 3.5L/6 speed did great - averaging 27.7 mpg for the entire trip (about 450 miles). Considering the EPA rating is 16/23, that is very, very good. Average speed was 60-65 with occasional jaunts up to 70 mph.

Our son did very well. His team (PHCC Patriots) swept College of the Albemarle; 4-0, 3-1 & 4-3. Dylan was 3 for 8 with 2 sac bunts, a sac fly, 2 RBI's, 2 singles, 1 double and a run scored. His "double" was 6" from going over as a HR. He hit a 3 run HR last weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts