Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to look over the filter if I can (bad back) to make sure the auto parts store in this tiny village sells me the correct part number. I also need to find out what kind of clamps are on the hose (believe it or not it is the original filter!) and get an idea of what type of hose I need in case the 17 year old hose needs to be replaced. V-6 Mopar or Mitsubishi motors are not common in México and the nearest "next" auto parts store is a 160 mile drive. A long walk as there are no buses here. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The filter is located underneath the car on the passenger side, near the fuel thank. The stock attachment is with quick-release clips. To release them, you push down on the collar with a wrench held sideways (so the fuel line is inside the wrench, where a bolt or nut would go). I would be prepared to have to replace fuel lines if i were you, mine were quite rusty and one of the quick connects had already been broken off and replaced with a regular hose clamp. I'm not sure what size the hose was offhand, though. Have you considered trying RockAuto for your parts? If you have mail service, that's a heck of a lot easier than driving 170 miles....
Here's a picture, just as a reference. I don't know anything about the brand, so I'm not recommending it or discouraging it. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3523827

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I believe that hose size is 5/16" inch and it is best to purchase fuel injection rated hose. Do not purchase the old fuel line hose that was used for carburetted engines.
Look for the rating of SAE30R9. This type of hose should hold up with the 10% ethanol mix. Older style fuel line hose SAE30R6 and SAE30R7 are unacceptable, even if the existing hose is stamped SAE30R7.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you. The mail thing is out of the question as I am many hundreds of miles deep inside México. I'll wait until I reach Guerrero Negro, Baja California Sur next week and get the stuff there. 245 mile round-trip. The local auto parts store sells roofing tar paper and chicken feed.

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
I believe that hose size is 5/16" inch and it is best to purchase fuel injection rated hose. Do not purchase the old fuel line hose that was used for carburetted engines.
Look for the rating of SAE30R9. This type of hose should hold up with the 10% ethanol mix. Older style fuel line hose SAE30R6 and SAE30R7 are unacceptable, even if the existing hose is stamped SAE30R7.
+1 on everything.

The filter is on the chassis just in front of the RR wheel.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take the new stuff to a mechanic who works out of a pit. I'll make sure to get the right type of hose. Are the requirements for the clamps different as well? Do I need fuel injection hose clamps if the old ones are bad?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I'll take the new stuff to a mechanic who works out of a pit. I'll make sure to get the right type of hose. Are the requirements for the clamps different as well? Do I need fuel injection hose clamps if the old ones are bad?
Yes, the solid clamps are best as they are designed not to cut into the rubber (slightly curved up on the edges). I have used the slotted spiral clamps with no ill effects; it is just not recommended. See what the store has and if they have no solid band clamps, just go with the worm turn clamps. :)

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
FV-15 is a part number for the correct clamp for the 5/16" fuel injection hose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts