Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question--
My fuel lines are petrified for the last two feet or so by the tank, but are pristine further up, and they're starting to leak in the back now. I'm going to cut the lines off (with a tubing cutter, no power tools, of course) where they're good, flare them, and replace the leaking section with a piece of fuel injection hose. What ID should I be looking for?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Supply is 5/16" inside diameter; return line and vent lines are both 1/4". Don't mix up the two when connecting. And use only SAE rated 30R9 or 100R6 hose, not 30R6 or 30R7. The latter two are not rated to withstand the pressures.

I'd be careful of using 2 feet of rubber hose there. It should be secured well and protected against abrasion and stones. That will be hard to do in that area.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
I agree with Bob, replacing a piece of pressurized fuel line is well worth the cost of replacing it all, especially considering the cost of the high pressure rubber hoses mentioned. This is one of those safety items where a couple extra hours will definitely pay off in both piece of mind and safety, high pressure fuel pumps can really make a mess if the line comes apart, stranding you, and not to mention the fear of a very nasty fuel-induced fire.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
NAPA sells fuel line at $25 for 8 feet, and then after that an $25 foot coil is $85.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went with 5/16" ID sheathed in braided stainless for supply and plain hose for return, on the advice of the parts guy at the speed shop I ended up having to go to. I figure they're running much higher pressures on the numerous drag cars they had pictures of all around the shop, so if they use regular line for return, it's safe. Made a shield for the 1/4" stuff with a bit of heater hose I had kicking around. The 5/16" doesn't need a shield considering the difficulty I had in cutting it... that stainless is REALLY tough. It was about $50 all told.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts