Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: Do I need a special tool to get these two pieces into the new fuel tank?? Everything is new, so nothing has been installed before. I got the sending unit mostly installed, the tabs need to go under the clips, and I have no idea how to get the pump to spin so it can be secured in.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
The pump does not spin. There is a rubber gasket between tank and pump, and another between sending unit and pump, and both are secured with locking rings. You will struggle a little without 3 hands, but basically you hold the pump in place, hold the locking ring in place, and tap on the locking ring tabs with a screwdriver and hammer to rotate the tabs to the locked position. Then you gently tap the tabs so the ring won't turn.

This might help:

http://boblincoln.com/gastank/gastank.htm

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob! As far as the pump goes, it looks like the lock ring and pump are all one piece. I'm guessing that the two tabs that are set slightly different are the ones that hold it in place?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Right. The locking ring is separate from the pump. The rubber gasket slide onto the pump, you install the pump with it rotated to match the original position (so the pickup sock is against the bottom of the tank). Then the locking ring goes against the outside of the pump, you have to press in while turning. I had a bear of a time doing it alone. Once the locking ring tabs are lined up with the tank tabs, you bend the locking ring tabs slightly outward into the little cutouts so they can't rotate further.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. got it now. I was thinking that the tabs and all on the pump was the ring. Didn't realize that I still had to use one of the other rings as well. Thought that it was just a spare.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
And you should use new locking rings and gaskets every time. They are only about $5 each.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think what threw me off is that the sending unit came with a new gasket and lock ring, but the pump only had a new gasket. The tank came with a new gasket and ring, but they looked like the same size as the sending unit.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I think the two rings are different sizes. I ordered a new one last time, and Rockauto shipped me one that was about 2mm too big on the outside diameter - useless. Since I had to get the car back together, and the ring was in good shape, I re-used it.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Yes. But just try to find one. They don't exist in any store around here. I wrapped a screwdriver in a rag.

And for a new tank it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Yes. But just try to find one. They don't exist in any store around here. I wrapped a screwdriver in a rag.

And for a new tank it doesn't matter.
Really, no Sears up there? http://www.sears.com/shc/s/t_10153_12605?tName=brass-punch-set.html

Can find them on the net too.. good tool to have in your toolbox at all time.. ;)

What happens when that screw driver tears through the rag, "spark-ola"..

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Didn't happen - I padded it enough.

I went looking for the tool a day or two before the job, so had no time to buy it online. Sears does not have it in the store. Nor does Autozone, NAPA, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Home Depot, Lowe's, Harbor Freight or our local experts at Manny's Hardware. Most clerks had no idea what I was talking about. I described it and why I needed it, still no illumination.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably could just find a materials retailer and buy a length of brass. Only difference would be if you wanted some of it knurled or not.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Depends on where you live. Found steel and aluminum, no brass.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Bob L, will be a while before you have to personally venture to do anything w/ your fuel tank,, No matter where you live, you have the internet, order now, so when the time comes once again to have to do something w/ your fuel tank, you'll have the brass punch/drift on standby...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts