Allpar Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,651 Posts
Truck is due next spring. It's 21 years old, 196K miles, original pump. So I'll be buying it before then. My point was, wasn't any opportunity to buy when dealing with an unexpected failure and having to repair as quickly as possible. I had expected to be able to find it here, or at least have a sales clerk with a clue.

But then, when I asked for a hand drill once, the clerk pointed to the battery-powered drills. When I explained it to him, he was still standing slackjawed and drooling.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bob L. - The one in my '92 is original, and still going. In fact, the whole drivetrain is still going. It's the one with the Flintstone-floor in it. Either way, safety first, unless you're properly flame-repellant equipped. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
lol sales clerk with a clue. unfortunately it seems that this is becoming less and less common.

i always used a screwdriver, but i was installing used stuff with old gasket/ring. just took a little tapping,(almost pushing) no major force that would cause sparks.

aluminum, copper, plastics should all work, but your punch will probably be mangled. you might get one or 2 uses out of it.

correct me if im wrong, but i think stainless steel may cause a spark?

·
Super Moderator
32,651 Posts
Not as likely, but yes, it can.

The first time I did the job, it was a new, empty tank, so no worries. The second time, the tank was still good and had a gallon in it (so lots of vapor), and I went slowly, with the rag wrapped on the tip, and I checked it constantly to be sure it hadn't cut through. Will be buying a brass punch online in anticipation of future jobs.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts