Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going to mechanical fuel pump along with getting rid of TBI. Don't trust Demon Electricity. Does anybody know the answer or do I need to take the cover plate off?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Nope, no cam there at all. Carter and Holley make decent electric fuel pumps. just don't use an Airtech, they like to vapor lock.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I do not want to be disrespectful but I cannot understand why anyone would want to go backwards with technology and choose a carburetor over electronic throttle body injection. TBI gives more reliable starts, no missing, spitting, coughing when cold, better driveability.

·
Super Moderator
36,928 Posts
The 1987 3.9 had a carb. I had one and though there was no change in ratings to the TBI engine, the 1988 I bought to replace the 1987 felt much stronger.
Besides the carb, you will also have to address the ignition as the TBI surely provides feedback to the ignition. And the electronic ignition conversion kit for the 3.9 is long gone.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Aaaaaa, the distributor debate. 1987 is a one year distributor with our favorite hall effect electronic ignition system, so it can be altered to survive a carb change a little better than our hated Lean Burn system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts