Allpar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,857 Posts
Early production 1985 Dodge and Plymouth K-cars still had the carbureted 2.2L engine and changed to EFI later on in the 1985 production run. The Chryslers had all changed to EFI in 1984.
There was an external electric fuel pump conversion TSB for carbureted cars that had vapor lock problems and I did a bunch during the warm summer months for cars that sagged or stalled. The underhood heat made the fuel boil out at low pressures and the higher pressure of the electric fuel pumps helped out considerably.
It was more of a 1980's fuel quality problem than a Chrysler problem, but it became a Chrysler problem. We couldn't have angry customers.
The parts for this conversion are probably long gone by now. I may have a copy of the actual TSB somewhere.
You might want to add an external electric pump in series before the mechanical pump to assist in keeping the fuel line pressurized. Or install a cover plate over where the mechanical pump went and just run the electric fuel pump.
An experienced mechanic should be able to add an ASD/fuel pump relay, wiring, pump, fuel pressure regulator and the fuel lines necessary for a successful conversion, but that sounds expensive. I don't recall how they did an ASD relay on a carbureted car.
It may be a lot more expensive than just replacing the old mechanical fuel pump with a new mechanical fuel pump and with today's gasoline it may start OK for you when warm.
Is the car worth sinking a few hundred dollars into? Are the fuel lines and tank badly rusted at all?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.