Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any fixes, workarounds, or procurement sources for fuel sending units on a 1989 Ram? I was going to replace while I had tank down cleaning old gas out. Readings are erratic on ohm meter. Baffles me that there's not any availability of these for this truck.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
It's 31 years old, so it's not surprising. When I think back to 1975, I can't imagine finding parts for a 1944 vehicle. We've come to expect too much longevity sometimes.
But if you're lucky, you may be able to clean the wiper contacts on the sending unit, if they haven't corroded away.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
There are two options. You can find the OEM part number (see below) and do an NOS parts search like with partsvoice.com.
If nothing comes up, there are companies that rebuild sending units. Google will show some.
SendingUnit.png

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
As long as the body of the tank sending unit isn't rusted or damaged, it may be rebuildable. Chrysler used the same corporate resistance spec and float for many years. The physical differences were basically for various tank sizes and shapes.
No longer available from Mopar, there may be NOS or Universal alternatives for your application.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are two options. You can find the OEM part number (see below) and do an NOS parts search like with partsvoice.com.
If nothing comes up, there are companies that rebuild sending units. Google will show some.
View attachment 30967
Where do you find all this information so quickly available? Is there a good source for RB rebuilding procedures/torque sequences?

Sorry to hijack.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 31 years old, so it's not surprising. When I think back to 1975, I can't imagine finding parts for a 1944 vehicle. We've come to expect too much longevity sometimes.
But if you're lucky, you may be able to clean the wiper contacts on the sending unit, if they haven't corroded away.
I get that it's old, that's what led me to purchase it. After reading this, I go to ebay and type 1989 blazer and BAM, results. I type 1989 bronco ll and BAM, results. So, I don't think it was a pipe dream to think I could purchase one for a Dodge of the same year. Even if OEM's aren't available, it seems that an aftermarket would be. I will definitely try to clean it up. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it apart and cleaned everything up real good with 5000 grit sandpaper and 99% alcohol. Appears to be working normally. Goes from about 7.5ohms to 68ohms (IIRC) smoothly with no skips or crazy jumps. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Reminds me of back in the 70s asking greenhorn parts guys for random 1944 car parts.

Strangely, non were listed then either.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts