Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember driving the original Rams when I was a CDPJ salesman in the 1990s. The diesels were LOUD!

The original Dodge Ram looks TINY next to the current one.

MSRP was $18,000 in 1994 ($31,725 in today’s dollars) for the original Ram; $71,000 for the 2020.

Personally, I’d take the original one.

Which one would you take?

Reactions: BASONE88

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Loved my 94 pearl blue short bed Laramie.

5.9L Magnum engine and she could haul [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms].

Paid 18k at Paul Bailey's in North Kingstown, RI.

Love my 15 5.7 Hemi pearl blue Big Horn. I'm not a leather fan so I stick with cloth.

Paid 38k at Bales in Jeffersonville, In.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,798 Posts
Have to admit my '06 looks puny compared to the new ones. Especially the HD's. Saw a 2019 Ram 2500 (Cummins) parked with a camper. Truck was huge.

Noticed a late '90's Dodge Ram for sale on my way to church (private seller). Looks to be in decent shape. Should stop by and see how much he wants.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Well I still have my second generation truck that I bought new. Yes it's a diesel and yes it's loud. The sticker in 2002 was 38 grand and some change. Which is about 54 grand in today's money. I haven't priced 2500 Laramies today, but I have priced 1500 Laramies that are about 54 grand.

·
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m all for simplicity these days.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 2018 RAM 2500, and I have to say I love it. The 94 is cool, and it would be fun to have one as a run around town truck. For every day, and what I do the 2018 does the job.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
But why have they grown so much given they have the same capacity? Big rigs are constatly trying to down size for more load wereas pickups go the other way.
- is that people whant size more than capacity?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I think what the cabs can carry passenger wise dictates a lot towards the size. Trucks have essentially taken the place of full size cars from the old days. There used to be a reason 4 door trucks were called crew cabs. Railroads and the military were probably their biggest customers.

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
But why have they grown so much given they have the same capacity? Big rigs are constatly trying to down size for more load wereas pickups go the other way.
- is that people whant size more than capacity?
Because the larger the footprint, the less it will penalized for fuel economy in the US.
Because people want both room for 3-5 passengers and a pickup bed.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
I think it's odd that the video criticizes the ride of the "stock" suspension on the older truck when it appears to me it's lifted a bit.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Truck pricing and complexity has gotten so out of hand, it blows my mind.

When my wife finishes nursing school, I am planning to get a new truck. I've been specing out 2500 regular cabs, and its amazing how expensive they can get. A well-equipped, but not fully optioned, 6.4 Big Horn 4x4 Regular Cab has an MSRP around $47k...a nicely optioned Tradesman $44k.

I know there are deals to be had on trucks...unfortunately it seems like regular cabs don't get as much rebate. I am by myself 90%+ of the time I drive my daily driver...what the hell do I need 4 doors for?

·
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think what the cabs can carry passenger wise dictates a lot towards the size. Trucks have essentially taken the place of full size cars from the old days.
Indeed, this has been my point for awhile: body-on-frame construction, V8 power, RWD, cabin large enough to carry 6 people in comfort, quiet ride. Sounds a lot like the formula large American sedans used for decades.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Truck pricing and complexity has gotten so out of hand, it blows my mind.

When my wife finishes nursing school, I am planning to get a new truck. I've been specing out 2500 regular cabs, and its amazing how expensive they can get. A well-equipped, but not fully optioned, 6.4 Big Horn 4x4 Regular Cab has an MSRP around $47k...a nicely optioned Tradesman $44k.

I know there are deals to be had on trucks...unfortunately it seems like regular cabs don't get as much rebate. I am by myself 90%+ of the time I drive my daily driver...what the hell do I need 4 doors for?
I just spect one out on Ram's website yesterday. Nothing spectacular, a 1500 Big Horn package two 4x4 crew. 47,000 dollars sticker. It's crazy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ill take the second gen in a heartbeat.
I have been saying for a while now that trucks are bigger and have more capasty then they use to.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I remember driving the original Rams when I was a CDPJ salesman in the 1990s. The diesels were LOUD!

The original Dodge Ram looks TINY next to the current one.

MSRP was $18,000 in 1994 ($31,725 in today’s dollars) for the original Ram; $71,000 for the 2020.

Personally, I’d take the original one.

Which one would you take?
Both, but a standard cab 4x4 3500 Big Horn Cummins base price is under $50k. The real cost of a new 1994 Ram CTD is about $31,000 in today's dollars. There's a ton more technology in a 2020 Ram, safer, stronger, more comfortable. Is there $20,000? That I don't know.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
On the bright side(?) they sell for less than that
My local dealer is putting a leveling kit on them, putting more aggressive tires on them, and still has them advertised for $8-10k under sticker. They've got a bunch of them, and the salesman said they still a lot quicker with the leveling kit and aggressive tires.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts