Allpar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm glad this group is still here. I'm still driving my '92 New Yorker 5th Avenue. There's trouble with the power windows, I assume one of the windows doesn't work because of a blown fuse but I can't find the fuses for the windows. I've looked in the glove box and under the hood, but no fuses for windows. Do any of you know where to look?
Thanks, Vic Davis

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
. . . . I'm still driving my '92 New Yorker 5th Avenue. There's trouble with the power windows, I assume one of the windows doesn't work because of a blown fuse but I can't find the fuses for the windows. I've looked in the glove box and under the hood, but no fuses for windows. . . . .
Power window motors are typically protected by a circuit breaker and not a spade type, 1 event fuse. Look under dash, driver side for circuit breaker. See attached image.

Font Parallel Diagram Auto part Drawing

Is one power window inoperative or are all power windows not functional?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
16,974 Posts
Having one window not working is probably not a circuit breaker problem. I'd take a closer look at the window switches, motors & wiring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having one window not working is probably not a circuit breaker problem. I'd take a closer look at the window switches, motors & wiring.
Thanks! Much appreciate your reply. Vic

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
When diagnosing, keep in mind the master switch on the driver's door can cause problems with the other windows.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 1976 Dodge Charger, 1973 Plymouth Cuda, 1971 Plymouth D
58 Posts
In my experience, in older cars when one power window is not working its always a good idea to look at the wiring between the door and the body. Usually for the drivers door since that door gets used the most. The wires flex and over time can break. Peel back the rubber a bit and take a look. Rather quick and easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my experience, in older cars when one power window is not working its always a good idea to look at the wiring between the door and the body. Usually for the drivers door since that door gets used the most. The wires flex and over time can break. Peel back the rubber a bit and take a look. Rather quick and easy.
Good suggestion! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
. . . .It's one window, the driver's side rear door. The window in the driver's door had a mechanical failure so I assume that would not affect the rear door window. . .
1) Will the left rear door window move up and down from the driver console switch?

2) Will the left rear door window move up and down from the left rear door area switch?

3) Or does the left rear window fail to move from both locations?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1) Will the left rear door window move up and down from the driver console switch?

2) Will the left rear door window move up and down from the left rear door area switch?

3) Or does the left rear window fail to move from both locations?
3) The window doesn't move from either switch. That's why I suspected a fuse.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
. . . 3) The window doesn't move from either switch. That's why I suspected a fuse. . . .
All power window motors use the same fuse feature (circuit breaker) to power window motors. Since all windows except left rear function, you can rule out a failed circuit breaker as the cause.

I would first inspect the flex wire bundle that goes through the left rear door hinge area. There should be 3 wires, YL for 12 volt power and 2 ground wires: DB / WT and RD / BK. Check for any broken or frayed wires. See attached image.

Font Schematic Slope Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All power window motors use the same fuse feature (circuit breaker) to power window motors. Since all windows except left rear function, you can rule out a failed circuit breaker as the cause.

I would first inspect the flex wire bundle that goes through the left rear door hinge area. There should be 3 wires, YL for 12 volt power and 2 ground wires: DB / WT and RD / BK. Check for any broken or frayed wires. See attached image.

View attachment 89614
Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts