Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Honestly, a Hemi upgrade would be money better spent. I know there are some who are just salivating over twin turbos and such, but since, apparently we are moving towards all electric or some kind of hybrid in between, it doesn't make any sense to develop a whole new engine that will probably be short lived, and isn't big enough or stout enough to use a a gas engine in heavy duty trucks.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
This is not a one or the other choice.

The company needs both.

GM & Ford have not eliminated V8s from their pickups. So, Stellantis needs a modernized Hemi for pickups and for towing applications in the larger SUVs.

But Stellantis needs more fuel efficiency as well. The I6 would be ideal for this, offering turbo versions for more performance.

One only needs to look at Ford's powertrain lineup to see that you need a mix of 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines with various displacements to provide the experience customers want.

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
As I've stated before, a non turbo version of the engine, if it has more torque, would be a good engine to replace the 3.6 in trucks.
But replacing the V6 with an inline 6 doesn't really gain anything significant for emissions or mileage. The idea is a 4 replaces a 6, and a 6 replaces an 8. And during the test cycles the engines aren't so stressed that they are using the turbo that much - yielding better numbers for the testing.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Yes, that's the idea, but even Ford has a new V8. I doubt very seriously that mileage would be significantly better then the Hemi. Also, like all things FCA, they seem hellbent on ridding themselves of names that are so well known and replace with unproven names. We all know what a tornado is, but nothing they've ever had, engine wise comes close to the name recognition that the Hemi has. Now, if they can accomplish Hemi power with electrics and get 40 plus mpg with a pickup, then by all means go that direction, but anything other then the diesel, and the 8sp has done little to increase gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
But replacing the V6 with an inline 6 doesn't really gain anything significant for emissions or mileage. The idea is a 4 replaces a 6, and a 6 replaces an 8. And during the test cycles the engines aren't so stressed that they are using the turbo that much - yielding better numbers for the testing.
This one is so far past its due date, I think they would have been better off making the Pentastar work with a turbo or two.

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
This one is so far past its due date, I think they would have been better off making the Pentastar work with a turbo or two.
Not as far past due as the often rumored turbo Pentastar, now 7 years overdue. it's not going to happen.

·
Administrator
35,986 Posts
Not as far past due as the often rumored turbo Pentastar, now 7 years overdue. it's not going to happen.
Pentastars.com / Allpar already said the turbo Pentastar was dropped. It didn't make enough power. GME T6 apparently did, but I'm guessing mpg didn't hit the goal or they were conserving cash or something like that... might just be the hybrid+2.0 do the job.

I would guess any changes to the 5.7 Hemi would be to help it live with a more serious hybrid setup.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Pentastars.com / Allpar already said the turbo Pentastar was dropped. It didn't make enough power. GME T6 apparently did, but I'm guessing mpg didn't hit the goal or they were conserving cash or something like that... might just be the hybrid+2.0 do the job.

I would guess any changes to the 5.7 Hemi would be to help it live with a more serious hybrid setup.
I thought (I could be wrong) that they had NVH issues early in the program and then put it on hold for the merger.

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Still think we should have a straight 6 Hemi to replace the V8's, then turbo it for certain applications but also include a hybrid transmission like the 8-speed.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
That makes sense. NVH is a big deal and making a six out of a four, where length is a Big Deal, could be a deal breaker. Straight sixes are supposed to be smooth.
They are not making six out of four. No one does it.

I can say as much. Maybe Clark Westfield knows more? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Just saw that all major automakers are now behind the California ask of 51 mpg by 2026. Leaving EVs aside I assume this means a lot of plug-in hybrids for FCA?

Hopefully V8s can stay as niche engines with us for a while. But it is clear that for base Jeeps as well as base Chargers and 300s, etc some updated power trains are needed.

Of course, a 40 mpg Hellcat would be awesome as well. :)

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Question, if the 2.0t with electric assistance is the future, is this driveline heavy duty enough for 1500 and similar sized SUVs? And what kind of real economy can be expected?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts