Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
What do you mean no one does it? We have more than a few examples of I4 and I6 engines sharing architectures nowadays...
What they share and is a 6 cylinder based on 4 or vice versa?

Even BMW doesn't make 6 and 4 cylinder together. There are some differences in design. That can't be said for 3 and 4 cylinder engines.

Of course 4 and 6 may and will share head design and fluid dynamics.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'd like to be excited that the HEMI may live on updated for a new-gen but I have learned to NEVER get my hopes up. I'm still waiting on that 2019 large car refresh... ;) Not at all surprised to hear the I6 got shelved.

·
Administrator
36,010 Posts
What do you mean no one does it? We have more than a few examples of I4 and I6 engines sharing architectures nowadays...
He's being really, really specific in his definition to score points.

The straight six was said to be in progress for trucks, to replace 5.7 Hemi, so some roughness would probably be OK, but not beating EPA figures would probably end the program. @Fast Eddie, if you can update us, privately or publicly...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Just saw that all major automakers are now behind the California ask of 51 mpg by 2026. Leaving EVs aside I assume this means a lot of plug-in hybrids for FCA?

Hopefully V8s can stay as niche engines with us for a while. But it is clear that for base Jeeps as well as base Chargers and 300s, etc some updated power trains are needed.

Of course, a 40 mpg Hellcat would be awesome as well. :)
I've heard of close to 30 mpg for these engines.. if drove nice (I know I can't) but 700+HP with electric assist ..it could be possible

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What they share and is a 6 cylinder based on 4 or vice versa?

Even BMW doesn't make 6 and 4 cylinder together. There are some differences in design. That can't be said for 3 and 4 cylinder engines.

Of course 4 and 6 may and will share head design and fluid dynamics.
Ah, I see you're taking things very literally as if 2 cylinders are grafted on and nothing else changed. The B48 and B58 BMW engines do share some parts commonality and design aspects (VANOS and timing chain in the rear) and BMW has claimed up to 60% part commonality between its modular engines, although the I4 and I6 are around 30%-40% from what I hear. Mercedes has mentioned that 40% of their I4 and I6 engines have shared parts.

From a production perspective, BMW manufactures the I3 and i4 together because they're made in massive amounts compared to the I6, which is made in Munich along with the V8 and V12. Mercedes has a configured their plants differently where the I4 and I6 can be made on the same line.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Ah, I see you're taking things very literally as if 2 cylinders are grafted on and nothing else changed. The B48 and B58 BMW engines do share some parts commonality and design aspects (VANOS and timing chain in the rear) and BMW has claimed up to 60% part commonality between its modular engines, although the I4 and I6 are around 30%-40% from what I hear. Mercedes has mentioned that 40% of their I4 and I6 engines have shared parts.

From a production perspective, BMW manufactures the I3 and i4 together because they're made in massive amounts compared to the I6, which is made in Munich along with the V8 and V12. Mercedes has a configured their plants differently where the I4 and I6 can be made on the same line.
Well... Some guys here, and I'm not talking about you, think that GME T6 had started its development at the the very same time as GME T4. That's far from true. GME T6 project started around 2015, late 2015 at the best. That's for sure. Possibly there were some feasibility studies before it.

Some people here think that that's the way how FCA will do it. Graft to more cylinders to it. Actually it's vice versa for some engines. That's how most car makers do their 3 cylinders engine out of 4. They chop one cylinder, usually 2nd or 3rd. FCA did it with GSE. Just look at the cylinder block.

BMW 3 and 4 cylinder? Italian company Mazzucconi is deeply involved with 3 and 4 cylinder blocks for BMW. For 6 cylinder? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Well... Some guys here, and I'm not talking about you, think that GME T6 had started its development at the the very same time as GME T4. That's far from true. GME T6 project started around 2015, late 2015 at the best. That's for sure. Possibly there were some feasibility studies before it.

Some people here think that that's the way how FCA will do it. Graft to more cylinders to it. Actually it's vice versa for some engines. That's how most car makers do their 3 cylinders engine out of 4. They chop one cylinder, usually 2nd or 3rd. FCA did it with GSE. Just look at the cylinder block.

BMW 3 and 4 cylinder? Italian company Mazzucconi is deeply involved with 3 and 4 cylinder blocks for BMW. For 6 cylinder? I don't know.
Fair enough. (y)

·
Administrator
36,010 Posts
I was thinking about this as I read the thread. Didn't he just come out and say V8's are effectively done in the near future?
He did, except for niches, but that's what SM said three or four years ago, too... no surprise. The world is changing... hard to believe that when I was born, we had burning rivers and regular smogs so bad you couldn't see feet away; even in the 1980s, New York City looked like it was surrounded by a smoked-glass dome. Now, there is absolutely no ring around the city, and rivers all look clean even if they aren't.

The issues today are less visible, but the technology is there to ease the transition. For the average person, not the allpar type, electrics will generally be a major improvement. I suspect Toyota, Mercedes, and some others will target rural areas with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles like the Mirai (which is entering a new generation, so you know they are serious).

·
Registered
154 Posts
From what I understand Mercedes-AMG will have a plug-in Hybrid with a 2.0 TT 4 with around 600 hp Combined. Could Dodge possibly do something similar, possibly a Scat Pack-e model? Mercades-AMG also has a 4.0 V8 TT PHEV in the works with over 700hp combined. Maybe Dodge could do a 5.7 HemI Helcat PHEV in a SRT-e Helcat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is not a one or the other choice.

The company needs both.

GM & Ford have not eliminated V8s from their pickups. So, Stellantis needs a modernized Hemi for pickups and for towing applications in the larger SUVs.

But Stellantis needs more fuel efficiency as well. The I6 would be ideal for this, offering turbo versions for more performance.

One only needs to look at Ford's powertrain lineup to see that you need a mix of 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines with various displacements to provide the experience customers want.
EXACTLY FCA can’t keep penny pinching when it comes to their brands especially when all brands are upping their content. Plus with Gm leaving the ICE game FCA is prime to take up the market share

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,143 Posts
All this fancy stuff sounds great but it costs a lot of money. Someone needs to come up with a simple affordable setup. Dyno Juice in New Jersey is rising quickly but it will be less expensive to patch up my 2009 keep it running than buy a New Vehicle. I am hoping I don't outlive my cash!
Here is the problem for me and others that have a company 401Ks as second source of income. SS does not pay all the bills and the people who manage 3 of my retirement funds make more on my money than I do.
Its not like I didn't have a job like Senior Field engineer that built Coast to Coast communications system that seems like the oxygen for our entertainment and smartphones. I should have stayed in the Union!

Not asking for sympathy, just a heads up.

·
Administrator
36,010 Posts
Ha. Gasoline is under $3/gallon. Can't complain about that even if it IS rising. FWIW, cars last twice as long, so being pricier works out... and you can get a darned good, long-lasting car for under $20,000.

PS> Gasoline at $3/gallon today is the same as $1/gallon in 1980, according to CPI inflation calculator, or $1.56 in December 1990. And I have yet to see it at $3/gallon this week!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ha. Gasoline is under $3/gallon. Can't complain about that even if it IS rising. FWIW, cars last twice as long, so being pricier works out... and you can get a darned good, long-lasting car for under $20,000.

PS> Gasoline at $3/gallon today is the same as $1/gallon in 1980, according to CPI inflation calculator, or $1.56 in December 1990. And I have yet to see it at $3/gallon this week!
Patience. The ground work has just been laid for $3.00 and up. It'll likely come soon.

·
Administrator
36,010 Posts
Patience. The ground work has just been laid for $3.00 and up. It'll likely come soon.
You talk as though it's a conspiracy. Given that it went down from $4.+ to $2, I'm pretty sure it isn’t.

Gasoline prices rising is actually a good thing for the economy, if it's because oil prices are rising, because low oil prices are killing the American oil drillers.

$3 would be cheap. $4, adjusting for inflation, would be close to the historical average. Inflation does its thing.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts