Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,388 Posts
The I6 was pretty close to production when it was frozen or dropped... and I won't dignify the criticism with much of a reply.
I Heard that the Manufacturing Equipment was Being Installed and Getting Ready for Production 18 Months Ago.

And the "Poof" It Disappeared !

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Ha. Gasoline is under $3/gallon. Can't complain about that even if it IS rising. FWIW, cars last twice as long, so being pricier works out... and you can get a darned good, long-lasting car for under $20,000.

PS> Gasoline at $3/gallon today is the same as $1/gallon in 1980, according to CPI inflation calculator, or $1.56 in December 1990. And I have yet to see it at $3/gallon this week!
As a youngster in The Stone Age (1971)...I remember my Dearly Departed Saintly Father commenting on how the price of gasoline had just gone UP again...this time to......wait for it......28.9 cents a gallon, and thought that was scandalous. Of course, he was thinking back to his own childhood days (The Great Depression)...when gasoline sold for only 9 cents a gallon.

He flat out predicted that gasoline would NEVER reach 50 cents a gallon. So much for famous last words!:p:D

·
Registered
349 Posts
EXACTLY FCA can’t keep penny pinching when it comes to their brands especially when all brands are upping their content. Plus with Gm leaving the ICE game FCA is prime to take up the market share
Stellantis needs to jump on very high mpg hybrids.
Having a gas engine as backup is probably a must for most consumers until they figure out how to fast charge electrics and increase the range.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also some one tell Chrysler it is the perfect brand for Hybrid and electric people haulers!
There is no escaping the future so capitalize on it !

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
It's not cancelled.

A lot of novelties are in the pipeline for the GME engine family.
Why would you show a new engine and possibly upset merger plans. That was the highest priority for about 2 years due to the major changes coming up in the next few.

·
Administrator
35,986 Posts
Why would you show a new engine and possibly upset merger plans. That was the highest priority for about 2 years due to the major changes coming up in the next few.
How would a new engine upset merger plans, especially given that the two had a lot of access to each others' assets?

I'm starting to think there was a real issue in durability testing, because they can handle vibration, and if they didn't get adequate performance they would not have started setting up the plants.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,971 Posts
As a youngster in The Stone Age (1971)...I remember my Dearly Departed Saintly Father commenting on how the price of gasoline had just gone UP again...this time to......wait for it......28.9 cents a gallon, and thought that was scandalous. Of course, he was thinking back to his own childhood days (The Great Depression)...when gasoline sold for only 9 cents a gallon.

He flat out predicted that gasoline would NEVER reach 50 cents a gallon. So much for famous last words!:p:D
That sounds just like my Dad about the same time frame. When he saw the price of gasoline had jumped from 29 cts to 34 cts I thought he was going to have a heart attack! This was about 1972-1973 or so. He had just taken delivery of a new '72 Charger w/318 he ordered not long before this.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
My father wasn't phased by the price increase. He bought a new Custom Suburban wagon with a 400ci in 73, then traded it for a new Town & Country with a 440 in 75.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My father wasn't phased by the price increase. He bought a new Custom Suburban wagon with a 400ci in 73, then traded it for a new Town & Country with a 440 in 75.
yup.. my dad bought a camper special F250 390cid in 78ish .. we traveled Canada in that thing.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,049 Posts
Having a gas engine as backup is probably a must for most consumers until they figure out how to fast charge electrics and increase the range.
not to mention the grid set up in such a way that its actually possible to go 100% electric for most cars. I don't see that happening in ~10yrs.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,143 Posts
Ha. Gasoline is under $3/gallon. Can't complain about that even if it IS rising. FWIW, cars last twice as long, so being pricier works out... and you can get a darned good, long-lasting car for under $20,000.

PS> Gasoline at $3/gallon today is the same as $1/gallon in 1980, according to CPI inflation calculator, or $1.56 in December 1990. And I have yet to see it at $3/gallon this week!
Gave my son my 1968 Newport 6 years ago for transport to work. He liked trucks better and let it sit. Gone from neglect under a tarp for 4 years. My 2009 challenger is still running well but rotting out, never in snow. Like it better than our 2015 300s, ride too brutal for New Jersey Roads. Next vehicle Will be an old inline 6 Jeep. Might spring for $20K mid sized electric when it becomes available. I drive under 3000 miles a year now

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,143 Posts
not to mention the grid set up in such a way that its actually possible to go 100% electric for most cars. I don't see that happening in ~10yrs.
Cruse U tube.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'd say make it a gas turbine if it's going to be something smallish anyway. Lots of advantages.

Novelties? Has a cheap ring to it.
We're getting ice cream bars? 😎

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My two cents unsolicited...
Dump the 5.7 Hemi. It's beaten by the 5.0 Coyote. Replace it with the T6 in the cars.
2 6.4 engines, the truck and the SRT. Replace the 5.7 with the truck 6.4 in Jeep Overland/Summit, Durango R/T, and Ram 1500s. Have the T6 as an option in these as well.

Lastly, T6 SRT (or whatever you will call SRT-level products moving forward) for the Cherokee and Pacifica, if it fits.

The non-turbo I6 would probably bring buyers in by the truckload if you put them in the 1500 and Jeeps as the base engines.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Dump the 5.7 Hemi. It's beaten by the 5.0 Coyote. Replace it with the T6 in the cars.
2 6.4 engines, the truck and the SRT. Replace the 5.7 with the truck 6.4 in Jeep Overland/Summit, Durango R/T, and Ram 1500s. Have the T6 as an option in these as well.

Lastly, T6 SRT (or whatever you will call SRT-level products moving forward) for the Cherokee and Pacifica, if it fits.
I would make the 6.4 truck engine the base v8 in everything.
The non-turbo I6 would probably bring buyers in by the truckload if you put them in the 1500 and Jeeps as the base engines. T6 would come in 3 power outputs 300,345,390.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would make the 6.4 truck engine the base v8 in everything.
The non-turbo I6 would probably bring buyers in by the truckload if you put them in the 1500 and Jeeps as the base engines. T6 would come in 3 power outputs 300,345,390.
The non-turbo I6 I would imagine as 300 minimum (that's Pentastar levels).
Therefore, making it base I6 instead of V6 would bring in the buyers that remember legendary I6 engines like the Jeep 4.0, Ford 4.9, etc. Or the Barra for those down under.

The Turbo I6 I would expect to be around EcoBoost 3.5 levels, anywhere from 350 to 450 (or more) depending on application, turbos, tuning, etc.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

The non-turbo I6 would probably bring buyers in by the truckload if you put them in the 1500 and Jeeps as the base engines.
Not tracking any NA L6, but I'd like to see it.
I'm for the T6 beefed up in the way the Hellcat was, throw some serious FI - twin turbos, appropriately - at it, and call it the Tomcat. *Cue "Danger Zone" from "Top Gun."

41 - 60 of 60 Posts